Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times

Advertisements

Pick Boston, hands down. I love both cities, but from the sound of it you'll like Boston more. Plus, you could pull it off a lot cheaper than most people think. Sure, the North End, Back Bay, and Beacon Hill will have ridiculous rent, but there are other places that are reasonable.

Here's a studio in Jamaica Plain for only $675 a month:

Studio, Avail 09/01, Street Parking, Photos (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2561777112.html - broken link)

Check Craigslist for rentals. Jamaica Plain, Brighton, Alston, Hyde Park, even parts of Dorchester you could manage with a car. South End is more expensive, and most of South Boston is pretty decent. There are many nice parts of Somerville that have a younger vibe also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,820 times
WEST Roxbury (not Roxbury) is also nice. I'd do Boston as well. If you really want a real city, Boston is the place to be. Minneapolis is great but the climate sucks and it is a bit provincial.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Spykidz,

If you have thought through the difference in cost of living and are prepared for that reality, then I guess it's really a lot where your heart is pulling you. Golfgal and UU have obviously offered some (hopefully) helpful ideas to consider, so I'll just throw in this one:

You mention going to Manchester 1-2 days a week. Would renting a car be an option? I haven't done a cost comparison but I wonder if, by the time you factor in all those costs to own a car (i.e. insurance, parking, licensing, maintenance) it might be as cost-effective to just repeatedly rent a vehicle. I bet if you stuck with one company you'd be a high roller in their loyalty program in no time! Perhaps you could even make it a work expense on taxes? Just a thought to consider.

In the end, you'll probably find a fun time in either city and, of course, if you hate one it's not as though it's forever...

Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Spykidz,

If you have thought through the difference in cost of living and are prepared for that reality, then I guess it's really a lot where your heart is pulling you. Golfgal and UU have obviously offered some (hopefully) helpful ideas to consider, so I'll just throw in this one:

You mention going to Manchester 1-2 days a week. Would renting a car be an option? I haven't done a cost comparison but I wonder if, by the time you factor in all those costs to own a car (i.e. insurance, parking, licensing, maintenance) it might be as cost-effective to just repeatedly rent a vehicle. I bet if you stuck with one company you'd be a high roller in their loyalty program in no time! Perhaps you could even make it a work expense on taxes? Just a thought to consider.

In the end, you'll probably find a fun time in either city and, of course, if you hate one it's not as though it's forever...
Plus the cost of owning a car in Massachusetts are out of this world. When I lived in the Boston area, our insurance was around $240/month. Also, in addition to registration fees, they charge you an excise tax. If I remember it was around $300/year. Add in the cost of gas, maintenance, and the pure nightmare that is driving in Boston, renting might be your best bet.

I cannot stress enough how driving and parking in Boston is a nightmare. That is the only word to describe it.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 PM

5 posts, read 21,361 times
Default re

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yea, I in fact have driven into Boston during my interview and the first thing I saw was traffic jam.

I think both cities are great. Living cost is a big issue now. I just checked, a condo with nice view cost about $1200 in MN downtown and $2300 in Boston. Single bedroom nice condo.

I need to consider the frequency of my travelling to big cities around Boston, otherwise I wont do much there too. MN is great but travelling to any close by big city is not quite easy...

I am leaning towards MN a little now..

Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Well...maybe there you go...$1100/month would buy you either nice weekend trips to Boston (or elsewhere), or will buy lots of beverages and/or meals out. Also don't forget that, for now, Delta still maintains a hub here with other airlines to investigate.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykidz View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yea, I in fact have driven into Boston during my interview and the first thing I saw was traffic jam.

I think both cities are great. Living cost is a big issue now. I just checked, a condo with nice view cost about $1200 in MN downtown and $2300 in Boston. Single bedroom nice condo.

I need to consider the frequency of my travelling to big cities around Boston, otherwise I wont do much there too. MN is great but travelling to any close by big city is not quite easy...

I am leaning towards MN a little now..
I should point out, though, that you could find a nice 1BR apt in Boston or nearby Cambridge, Somerville, etc for quite a bit less, although I would assume that the same would apply for Minneapolis, St. Paul, etc...

All other issues being somewhat equal, Minn-St.Paul would probably be a better fit, esp if cost of living is the driving force. The only thing that would drive down Boston's expenses would be if you decided to skip the car, and just taake the subway, bus, train, etc, and just rent a car (Zipcar) when needed. Otherwise..

Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykidz View Post
Hi everyone.
I am a young professional living in Iowa. I am currently single and making a decent salary. I have spent my years after graduation in an insurance firm in Iowa and worked towards my professional title. I am almost done with my papers now and truly miss out my younger adult days. I would like to catch up my 'lost youth days'.

I am recently offered a job in Minneapolis with a big insurance firm and a job in Boston. I am seriously considering my options here. I really like both jobs and now it comes down to location. I really want to get into a scene where I can make friends with other young people easily and go to some bars to hang out. I know both places are great for this.

Which one would you suggest? The salary is only about $5000 difference between the job in MN and Boston. And due to the nature of my job, I have to own a car in Boston...

What are the arguments for and against each city?
I know most people would favor MN more here but I would really appreciate honest advice. Thanks people.

Since i'm from Boston i'm biased but can honestly tell you, you'd have much more fun here. However, a 'decent' salary is really vague because the city is expensive, ranging from a 800-2500/month in a one bedroom.

The only downside is owning a car. The traffic here is horrendous, pretty much all the time. (not 3am, oops.)

All i'm saying is, Boston is historical, beautiful, the people are great and the day / night life is endless. Even now, I still find new places to go to.

Good luck, girl!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 21,361 times
lol, I am a guy.
I would like to get into a city where i can be instantly comfortable.
I have made my decision. I have accepted the job offer in MN. But now, finding a nice apartment in downtown MN is a pain in the butt tho

Thanks guys for the advice. I believe if I can make the most of where I go, it will always be a good decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul