U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:47 PM

14,870 posts, read 20,269,409 times

Advertisements

Yea there is ALOT of people like how you explained in Minneapolis

Here are some great Neighborhoods you would enjoy
50th & France
: : : UPTOWN MINNEAPOLIS : : :
Rate this post positively

Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 PM

5,530 posts, read 11,270,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Of course, what is cold/hot and what's bearable or not is generally in the eye of the beholder. I'll preface my addition that, even as a native, I hate the winter so take my comments in that vein (and, yes, I realize the "awkwardness" of hating the winter but staying here 38 winters). However, be sure to note when our friend West336 mentions the average high is below 32F for Dec/Jan/Feb, according to Accuweather, the high falls around 24F - and that's the high. The average low is about 7F. -20F is not unheard of in these parts, and even with some regularity.

As West336 mentioned, part of it is your mindset and how you approach it. Just be mindful that natives find it cold, I imagine so will someone from Atlanta.
That's JANUARY....not Dec. or Feb. I have the statistics too, from the National Weather Service:

December: Hi -26; Lo - 11
January: Hi - 22: Lo - 4
February: Hi - 29; Lo - 12

That's the 30-year average, too, so if you are like me and believe the world is truly warming up, then you believe the last 10 years is more indicative of the true average. Here's the avg. JANUARY highs from 2001-2010

28, 32, 23, 19, 23, 34, 27, 21, 17, 20 = average: 24.4

Also, the July average high during the same time period was 86 (not 84 or 83, as usually listed). This year, the July average high was 88!

Now.....is Minneapolis a cold place in the winter? HELL YES! Is it sometimes miserable and feels neverending? HELL YES! Can you tolerate it? OF COURSE!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 AM

18 posts, read 63,855 times
Who are some of the major employers in the healthcare industry?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM

928 posts, read 1,624,063 times
Some people here seem to think that Minneapolis is Berkeley, CA. Please.

I'm also a 28 year old liberal, single black person. I moved to Mpls in 2007 from Los Angeles, then left earlier this year. There are not a lot of transplants in Mpls. You will find it's very true that most people were born and raised there, with a lot of the younger people having come from the suburbs, seeing the move to Mpls the city as a step up. If you say you're from somewhere else, you're met with intrigue and fascination. I'm serious, people would firebomb me with endless questions about where I was from and ask me what possessed me to move there. Here in Chicago, and back in LA, being from somewhere else didn't make you akin to a space alien.

Even people in Minneapolis the city are passive-aggressive in a very stereoptypical Minnesota way. In fact, it was the first thing I noticed. When people would ask me about my impressions of MN, my immediate responses were a) everyone is this creepy passive-aggressive that tests my patience, b) everyone drives too slow, c) everyone speaks s l o w l y.... though being from the South, you may not mind. When I got there, though, almost everyone told me I spoke too fast. I really don't, but at about 3x the speed of the average Minnesotan. I lived and worked downtown, most of my friends were in NE and Uptown, so it's not like I'm basing this on my experiences in Chanhassen.

Also, this description of Mpls as this bastion of liberalness and acceptance seems pretty far fetched. I have honestly never --not even once-- experienced flat-out, unmasked, to-your-face racism in my entire life until I got to MN, where people have made unequivocally racist statements right to my face. This happened three times in the time I lived there. No, it's not Stone Mountain, GA, but it ain't Shangri-La. I'm admittedly stereotyping the South here, but I'm guessing blunt racism won't be as big of a shock to you, and it might even be a vast improvement from Atlanta. Massive, 100-mile drop from So Cal.

I don't know how young people get married in Atlanta, but I recall being distinctly being taken aback by how common it was for very young people (early to mid twenties) to be married. Still, there are enough single people that you're not going to feel like whatever the male version of a spinster is. Dating scene in Mpls is okay.

Still, overall, it's just very... Midwestern in every way. Maybe my perceptions are skewed way off because I'm a big city girl, but moving to Mpls was a massive culture shock. It felt very much like Mayberry, but with a skyway.

Oh, and if you like spicy food, don't move to Mpls. That's where flavor goes to die an undignified white-bread death. You've been warned.

Sorry to be the Bad News Bears, but I felt like a lot of this information was presented by MN die hards, and give a misleading fanboi account of what Minneapolis is like.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM

@ Lorielicious I do think that almost anywhere would be an upgrade from Atlanta, with the exceptions of ****holes like Detroit, Cleveland & Cincinnati, & it's impossible that MN is more racist than GA, it's probably not even close. People sometimes think that Atlanta is different or more progessive than the rest of the south, I strongly disagree.

Its been discussed here before, but it does seem like predominantly caucasian cities like Minneapolis, Portland, & Austin automatically get pegged as "really progessive & liberal" almost by default, I guess that means "we have a vibrant GLBT scene & lots a overly sarcastic hippies/hipsters/yuppies.

Did you see more interractial couples in Mpls than most major cites? How about the stength of the job market? It's funny that you mention Chicago, one of my co-workers who's from there was telling me that I should consider moving there, she said that I would love it, but I've also gotten bad feedback from people I went to high school with that moved to Chicago, I guess I need to visit

Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Sure does look like a beautiful city though

Minneapolis - MetroScenes.com – City Skyline and Urban Photography by Matt Robinson

Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future82 View Post
Its been discussed here before, but it does seem like predominantly caucasian cities like Minneapolis, Portland, & Austin automatically get pegged as "really progessive & liberal" almost by default, I guess that means "we have a vibrant GLBT scene & lots a overly sarcastic hippies/hipsters/yuppies.
Mpls is nowhere near as liberal as Portland. Anyone who thinks Mpls is "really progressive & liberal" is either from the suburbs or Texas.

Quote:
Did you see more interractial couples in Mpls than most major cites?
Eh. I don't see a whole lot, but then again, Mpls is a very white city, so it's not unreasonable that I would see less interracial couples there than I would in, say, LA. I've dated inside and outside of my race, and it's not been a big deal. Though I feel compelled to say 90% of the white guys I went out with seemed to be getting some kind of kick out of dating a dark person, like it was some sort of novelty. I actually had some guy from Maple Grove told me he was excited about dating a non-white girl. Jesus Harold Christ, have you never seen a dark person before?

Quote:
How about the stength of the job market?
Meh, I've never been out of work for more than a month in Mpls. I got a job almost right away and remained employed continuously since. I landed my first job pre Giant Economic Meltdown, and stuck with the same company, so I consider myself lucky. The ex had no such luck. Depends on your field, I suppose, but I shant pretend to be the expert.

Quote:
It's funny that you mention Chicago, one of my co-workers who's from there was telling me that I should consider moving there, she said that I would love it, but I've also gotten bad feedback from people I went to high school with that moved to Chicago, I guess I need to visit
Chicago's okay. There's no place like home, of course, but this place isn't bad. Enormous upgrade from the Twin Sh*tties.

I will give Mpls this, though, without reservation: It is a beautiful city. You can take a quick walk from downtown in the fall and walk around the river, and it is beyond scenic. Mpls is handily the prettiest city I've ever lived in, and I've lived in several. Fall there is loveliness defined.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 PM

Lorielicious, thanks for all the feedback, the good thing about Atlanta is all the transplants, being that i've lived here my whole life I love to ask people about their hometown and other places they've lived.

Have you ever lived in or visited Austin, Portland & Denver, if so, how are they?

Also, I has having a conversation yesterday with a co-worker about alot of people leaving Georgia and moving to Arizona, is there something great going on in Phoenix that I don't know about?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:28 PM

Been to Portland and Austin, but not for any significant amount of time. Portland felt strange to me, and is almost a caricature of itself. I had a lot of fun, but I was with my friend who lives there, which can make most places fun. Felt a bit small, but vibrant in places. If you're going to move to Texas, Austin would be the place I recommend. It's still very much Texas, though. Half of the "veggies" on menus at restaurants are meat-based dishes. I'm not kidding. I've only had layovers in Denver's airport, so I don't think that counts.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,566,278 times
Lorielicious -- are you sure you lived in Minneapolis? Because really, I don't think we've lived in the same place. And for what it's worth, I found Minneapolis to be far more liberal than LA, and not all that different than San Francisco in terms of "liberalness". (that probably says more about the realities of SF than it does about Minneapolis, though) And no, I am not from the suburbs, and yes, I know what liberal and progressive means. Because in my various neighborhoods in Minneapolis, MANY people came from other places, both states and countries. It's really not all that exotic (heck, there are Californians all over the place here. That's DEFINITELY not unusual). And I see more interracial couples here than in LA, although it's certainly common enough in LA, too. Not to knock your experience, but I think your experience isn't necessarily so representative. I suppose mine might not be, either, but as someone who grew up here I'll say that many of my childhood friends had parents of different races, and many have married people of other races. And in the city people are very open to GLBT-families, which I also happen to think is a nice barometer of openness and inclusiveness.

I DO think people will often ask newcomers WHY they moved to Minneapolis -- I do, too, but that's because I'm snoopy like that. Then again, people have always asked me that when I've moved other places, too. I think it's just small talk and politeness. I think people in Minnesota do sometimes particularly wonder why in the world anyone would relocate from California to Minnesota (at least my California-born dad gets that a lot, and people have asked us that a lot when we moved back), but I attribute that to because so many people (here and elsewhere) would love to live in California if they could and can't imagine why you would leave, rather than because they're so sheltered that someone from Southern California is a novelty.

It does have a very different vibe than Portland. I will agree with that. I find Portland to be far more annoyingly pretentious. It's also, it goes without saying, VERY different than LA, but comparing LA and Minneapolis is rather like apples to oranges.

ETA: thinking about it more, I realize the "liberal" reputation may prove disappointing to some newcomers; I DO think it's a very liberal, progressive place (at least if you stay in the city and some inner suburbs), but -- like all cities -- there are still plenty of people around who have other views. (I was surprised moving to SF by how it wasn't as progressive as what I had been envisioning; it certainly IS in many ways, but I think I had very, very high expectations) I think it's also a bit different in that the actual core cities don't have much political clout in the overall metro region and I do think that dilutes things a bit. Still, I think in the city itself liberal and progressive is the name of the game. In some ways I wish there was more variety, as I don't think it's healthy for one party to dominate things so much, and weird issues become politicized in ways that they might not be if there was more true debate.

Also, I think much of this depends on both where you live, and where you work. I've mostly worked in small companies or the non-profit or education sectors, and I expect that's a massively different environment than, say, the HQ of any of the local major corporations.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 08-29-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul