U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 AM

928 posts, read 1,626,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Seriously...get over yourself, Lorielicious...I realize you're from Chicago and you must have a skewed vision of the world no doubt brought on by "living in the fast lane". I take this attitude is from living in a city with 7,000,000 pigeons s****ng on the streets, people constantly begging for change out of desperation and/or trained dependency, a completely corrupt political system (need we talk about Blagojevich? Perhaps the rumor I hear of Daley annexing land to the City of Chicago and O'Hare so he can sell political favors?), never-ending traffic to the point there's traffic jams at 2AM on a Sunday (as I personally experienced last time I was there) or perhaps wondering how oh-so-sophisticated folk in Chicago are leaving the city (according to the U.S. Census), while Minneapolis proper is gaining population? Yeah, sure sounds like Chicago is the Shangri-la you accuse Minneapolis of not being...
Feel free to trashtalk Chicago all you want. I'm not from here, and talk a little smack about it from time to time myself. It's not Paradiso, no, but no place is and it is nice to be able to walk outside and be able to get something to eat after 10PM. Oh, yes, we big city folks sure are fancy, and sometimes socialize after nightfall. Sometimes I polish off my monocle and go out, dare I say, past midnight! Horror of horrors! Somehow, with over 3 million residents, Chicago still manages to cough up enough people to sustain vibrancy and provide entertainment past dusk. The population loss is minimal and mainly is shedding people on the outskirts, while the city core is actually growing. With ten times the population of Mpls, I think we'll get by.

And you know, I must say, Chicago is surprisingly devoid of pigeons. And lastly, get it right - Da Mare is now officially Emmanuel, so please update your off-topic political jabs.

Quote:
My guess is Lorielicious had one person in Minneapolis p**s in her pot and decided to go to extremes and bitterly find everything wrong (if only in her own mind) so she could to assuage her insecurity about her level of sophistication. That apparently met some mythical threshold to get her into the "we're so cool" club...
Ha ha. This is a nice caricature you have going on here. What else? Am I sitting at a cafe drinking organic coffee in a black beret, typing up my blog on humane farming that nobody reads? My guess is you're so blinded by home town pride that you're offended by honest criticism, so you go to extremes by painting any critic as some XXL Extreme Hater. Mpls was okay, but it's a small Midwestern city and it feels that way. I find it ridiculous that people are making it seem like it's just a small version of some East coast urban haven, because it isn't.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,491,125 times
Quote:
I say this as an almost complete political libertarian conservative. Take a look at how people are voting in elections in Minneapolis - it's public information pretty easily found on the internet and in Minneapolis it's overwhelmingly Democratic...you'll find your liberalism here.

Frankly, I hate the taxes here and disdainful of the liberal attitude displayed but I can tell you in spite of it there are a great many good things going on here.
Looks like GBC has been infected by the SS virus and is dead set on spewing his abusive political nonsense on this forum.

Take it somewhere else please, your attitudes are juvenile, politically clueless and will cause us all much pain before you learn the error of your ways.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,593,518 times
Keep it civil, everyone.

OBVIOUSLY the Twin Cities are not as diverse as, say, Los Angeles County, which is known for being one of, if not THE, most diverse counties in the country. No one has said such a thing. But for those who don't live in a bubble, it's also evident that the city still has some diversity, and interracial relationships (which the OP was asking about) are typical.

And as far as liberal and progressive, how exactly does Minneapolis NOT count as a liberal, progressive city? (for better or for worse, depending on one's political leanings!) No one is arguing here that Minneapolis is the most diverse city in the country (I think it's very obvious that it's NOT), but diversity of population does not indicate whether or not a city is progressive and liberal. As GBCommenter noted, it's pretty obvious that yes, Minneapolis is overwhelmingly Democrat. And since someone made a comment about the average person going to church, let me comment on that, too: sure, there are culturally conservative church-goers in Minneapolis. But for what it's worth, the upper Midwest's churches have also been traditionally part of why this area is so progressive; many of the churches around here are VERY liberal (many of them very socially liberal), and there's long been a strong focus on social justice issues. The church and state are obviously separated, but people bring those viewpoints with them to the ballot box, and around this city, that means they overwhelmingly vote for the DFL candidates (or sometimes other third parties. It would be tough to be a Republican candidate in Minneapolis, at least if one was actually hoping to win the election) And before anyone gets mad at me for injecting religion here, I'm just pointing out that going to church does not necessarily (and in many cases in Minneapolis does NOT) into being conservative.

I still think the OP will enjoy Minneapolis. Now if he decides he's looking for a huge mega-city, he's going to find Minneapolis on the small side. It's not LA, not NYC, not Chicago. But based on the original question, I think it sounds like it is indeed a good fit, assuming he doesn't mind the winters.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 AM

114 posts, read 181,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
I find it ridiculous that people are making it seem like it's just a small version of some East coast urban haven, because it isn't.

Exactly. The "Minneapple" just can't seem to ever get over itself, and this from a long time, though not native, resident.

On the one hand Twin Citians fear the loss of the Vikes b/c they think they will be perceived as "a cold Omaha" but in the next breath they want to favorably compare themselves metro Chicago with a total population of nearly 10 million people. Which is it Twin Cities? (Clue: Neither.)

But getting back the OP's question: you should take careful note of GBC's post. This is exactly the sort semi-latent fear of the other you are likely to find in the suburbs (I believe GBC hails from "fabulous" Fridley...)

Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,593,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb View Post
Exactly. The "Minneapple" just can't seem to ever get over itself, and this from a long time, though not native, resident.

On the one hand Twin Citians fear the loss of the Vikes b/c they think they will be perceived as "a cold Omaha" but in the next breath they want to favorably compare themselves metro Chicago with a total population of nearly 10 million people. Which is it Twin Cities? (Clue: Neither.)
)
Funny. I feel like it's often the opposite. You want a city that "can't get over itself"? Try Portland. I think Minneapolis is more likely to have an inferiority complex. Isn't that what Lorielicious is describing when she talks about all the people who ask WHY she moved here? I think people in Minnesota often don't understand why anyone would want to move to the state. It's NOT Chicago. It's not LA. It's not Omaha. It's Minneapolis, and it has enough positive and unique attributes of its own. So it's not the right fit for everyone. Same can be said of EVERY city. Given the OP's original parameters, though, it sounded like he was on the right track when he thinks it's a city worth exploring to see if it's right for HIM.

Obviously people have a right to dislike the state or the city, but I think it's a fairly silly argument to suggest that Minneapolis is NOT liberal. Now I realize many people would prefer that not to be the case (as "liberal" is a bad word in some circles), but by most standards yes, Minneapolis is indeed a progressive, liberal city.

I don't think the OP asked "is it a huge big major city that can hold its own with Chicago or NYC in terms of nightlife or population," or whatever else seems to be debated now. It's a liberal city where interracial relationships are common. Isn't that what the OP wanted to know? He doesn't want New York or LA (and I would assume Chicago could fit in that category, too). And given that he doesn't want a "trendy" city, Minneapolis also seems a good fit. I don't think Minneapolis is hip enough (or has the national reputation that way) to count as trendy.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 08-30-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 12:36 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,165,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Funny. I feel like it's often the opposite. You want a city that "can't get over itself"? Try Portland. I think Minneapolis is more likely to have an inferiority complex. Isn't that what Lorielicious is describing when she talks about all the people who ask WHY she moved here? I think people in Minnesota often don't understand why anyone would want to move to the state. It's NOT Chicago. It's not LA. It's not Omaha. It's Minneapolis, and it has enough positive and unique attributes of its own. So it's not the right fit for everyone. Same can be said of EVERY city. Given the OP's original parameters, though, it sounded like he was on the right track when he thinks it's a city worth exploring to see if it's right for HIM.

Obviously people have a right to dislike the state or the city, but I think it's a fairly silly argument to suggest that Minneapolis is NOT liberal. Now I realize many people would prefer that not to be the case (as "liberal" is a bad word in some circles), but by most standards yes, Minneapolis is indeed a progressive, liberal city.

I don't think the OP asked "is it a huge big major city that can hold its own with Chicago or NYC in terms of nightlife or population," or whatever else seems to be debated now. It's a liberal city where interracial relationships are common. Isn't that what the OP wanted to know? He doesn't want New York or LA (and I would assume Chicago could fit in that category, too). And given that he doesn't want a "trendy" city, Minneapolis also seems a good fit. I don't think Minneapolis is hip enough (or has the national reputation that way) to count as trendy.
I think Uptown's got it right. Every city has its full spectrum of boosters and haters. I know a few of each, and I suppose I'm recognized as being more of a booster than a hater. I don't really know any people who think Minneapolis is the equivalent of Chicago. Most of my friends who have been to Chicago think its an awesome place to visit. But, in terms of living there, I know many prefer living in the Twin Cities, because we do offer a high percentage of the amenities you get a much larger city (say Chicago), but have a lower hassle factor regarding traffic/crime/corruption etc...

I also agree that there's a lot of people who take pride in what we have in the Twin Cities, but I don't think we're as quick to put other places down, because deep down we all know that the Midwest is not the "coolest" part of the country, and our extreme winters can be humbling (Just listen to Garrison Keelor "we are not a boastful people").

Minneapolis is definitely a liberal city, as is St Paul. Lorielicious seems to take the view that because we're not the MOST liberal city, that we shouldn't even consider mentioning it. Our politically progressive history is well-known and has contributed significantly to our nationally high ranking in education, parks, health and other quality of life rankings.

Regarding racial relations, I agree that we're no utopia and that we do have a long ways to go to be considered any kind of model state. There is a substantial discrepancy between the income levels and educational levels of african-americans and caucasions in Minnesota. Part of the reason may be that our african-american community is not as well established as many other metros, as it has grown significantly over the past 30 years. But, are there racist Minnesotans? Yeah, definitely, I've heard people talk about the immigrants and the minorities in less than favorable views. But, I do think that there's a substantially large percentage of the population that is welcoming to different types of people. For every "racist" person I know, I know a lot more people who are interested and appreciative of people with different backgrounds.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM

223 posts, read 501,876 times
Quote:
Golly-gee, Lorielicious, what's it like ta live in them big, big cities? Us cowpokes in Minneapolis are so busy watchin' the corn grow on Nicollet Mall all us small town folk can do is wonder if someone 'portant as yourself would do us the honor of telling how to be just like YOU?!

Seriously...get over yourself, Lorielicious...I realize you're from Chicago and you must have a skewed vision of the world no doubt brought on by "living in the fast lane". I take this attitude is from living in a city with 7,000,000 pigeons s****ng on the streets, people constantly begging for change out of desperation and/or trained dependency, a completely corrupt political system (need we talk about Blagojevich? Perhaps the rumor I hear of Daley annexing land to the City of Chicago and O'Hare so he can sell political favors?), never-ending traffic to the point there's traffic jams at 2AM on a Sunday (as I personally experienced last time I was there) or perhaps wondering how oh-so-sophisticated folk in Chicago are leaving the city (according to the U.S. Census), while Minneapolis proper is gaining population? Yeah, sure sounds like Chicago is the Shangri-la you accuse Minneapolis of not being...

Future82 - there's a reason people are moving to Minneapolis in spite of brutal cold in the winter...it's overall a good place. No, not perfect, but a lot better than a lot of cities that like to pretend how oh-so-enlightened they are...and I say this as an almost complete political libertarian conservative. Take a look at how people are voting in elections in Minneapolis - it's public information pretty easily found on the internet and in Minneapolis it's overwhelmingly Democratic...you'll find your liberalism here.

Frankly, I hate the taxes here and disdainful of the liberal attitude displayed but I can tell you in spite of it there are a great many good things going on here. Job-wise note Minneapolis enjoys an unemployment rate at around 6.9% as opposed to the country at 9-10% (look to Minneapolis tops list of best cities to find a job - Business - Forbes.com - msnbc.com for more info, and compare to Chicago getting excited at "only" 9.4% - Chicago unemployment rate at 9.4% - Chicago Sun-Times). As far as diversity, it is known that Minneapolis-St. Paul has the highest Somali and Hmong neighborhoods in the country (not that necessarily that will translate to your situation but speaks to a sufficient diversity in the city). Minneapolis enjoys the highest live theater per capita next to NYC. The list goes on...

My guess is Lorielicious had one person in Minneapolis p**s in her pot and decided to go to extremes and bitterly find everything wrong (if only in her own mind) so she could to assuage her insecurity about her level of sophistication. That apparently met some mythical threshold to get her into the "we're so cool" club...

Should you choose to move to Minneapolis, I expect you will find a welcoming city if you make a minimal effort to look for it. Indeed, Uptown Urbanist - another common poster on this forum and one I've taken to be an avowed liberal, would back this libertarian-minded conservative up (and I didn't even have to get on my horse and take a ride to the fancy public library with their new-fangled machines called computers and with this even fancier thing called the INTERNETS!)
Great post. Thank you...made my day.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM

391 posts, read 624,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I think Uptown's got it right. Every city has its full spectrum of boosters and haters. I know a few of each, and I suppose I'm recognized as being more of a booster than a hater. I don't really know any people who think Minneapolis is the equivalent of Chicago. Most of my friends who have been to Chicago think its an awesome place to visit. But, in terms of living there, I know many prefer living in the Twin Cities, because we do offer a high percentage of the amenities you get a much larger city (say Chicago), but have a lower hassle factor regarding traffic/crime/corruption etc...

I also agree that there's a lot of people who take pride in what we have in the Twin Cities, but I don't think we're as quick to put other places down, because deep down we all know that the Midwest is not the "coolest" part of the country, and our extreme winters can be humbling (Just listen to Garrison Keelor "we are not a boastful people").

Minneapolis is definitely a liberal city, as is St Paul. Lorielicious seems to take the view that because we're not the MOST liberal city, that we shouldn't even consider mentioning it. Our politically progressive history is well-known and has contributed significantly to our nationally high ranking in education, parks, health and other quality of life rankings.

Regarding racial relations, I agree that we're no utopia and that we do have a long ways to go to be considered any kind of model state. There is a substantial discrepancy between the income levels and educational levels of african-americans and caucasions in Minnesota. Part of the reason may be that our african-american community is not as well established as many other metros, as it has grown significantly over the past 30 years. But, are there racist Minnesotans? Yeah, definitely, I've heard people talk about the immigrants and the minorities in less than favorable views. But, I do think that there's a substantially large percentage of the population that is welcoming to different types of people. For every "racist" person I know, I know a lot more people who are interested and appreciative of people with different backgrounds.
Agreed. Coming from southern California, we seriously considered Portland before moving to the Twin Cities. They do have some similarities (livable, progressive, nice older neighborhoods, bike friendly etc.), but we got that weird feeling of smugness from Portland that UU mentioned. Even though we are a lot farther from family we like it here (even in winter).

Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 PM

988 posts, read 1,727,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Originally Posted by GBCommenter
I say this as an almost complete political libertarian conservative. Take a look at how people are voting in elections in Minneapolis - it's public information pretty easily found on the internet and in Minneapolis it's overwhelmingly Democratic...you'll find your liberalism here.

Frankly, I hate the taxes here and disdainful of the liberal attitude displayed but I can tell you in spite of it there are a great many good things going on here.

Looks like GBC has been infected by the SS virus and is dead set on spewing his abusive political nonsense on this forum.

Take it somewhere else please, your attitudes are juvenile, politically clueless and will cause us all much pain before you learn the error of your ways.
Okay, Audadvnc...how exactly is the quote you took from me "spewing (my) abusive political nonsense...", certainly to the degree you appear to be painting it?

The quote simply indicated that Minneapolis has a liberal streak and votes as such - which can be found on the internet if so inclined at places such as the Secretary of State. I was telling Future82 that he will find that aspect, which I took is what he was looking for in his original post (why else would he mention he's a liberal and heard Minneapolis is the same?). By mentioning I see that liberalism as one who does not appreciate it, it lends more credence to the argument than from one who IS a liberal and may naturally want others to see it.

Frankly, if all I was interested in doing was railing on Minneapolis it would make no sense for me to not only defend it in the above quote("there are a great many good things going on here.", but in general through other threads.

As far as my supposed juvenile attitude, seems there's some name-calling going on here now from the other direction...and after you had those nice comments about me on another thread! (and I'll leave it at that as further comment doesn't help the OP in his question)

As far as Lorielicious...clearly Lorielicious cannot get over Lorielicious' level of self-declared sophistication, so why bother? In the meantime, believe it or not, Minneapolis will find a way to entertain itself - even after midnight as hard as it might be to believe - and without Lorielicious' approval...

Old 08-30-2011, 02:44 PM

928 posts, read 1,626,484 times
I'm sorry -- what was that? I just dropped my monocle into my mug of fair-trade coffee and got distracted a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul