U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM

223 posts, read 501,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Ha ha. A bit touchy when someone criticizes your town? I made great friends in MN, but I also encountered a lot of backwaterness, and I'm not alone. I'm not sure where in Chicago you think I live, but I'm not at Rush/Division. No one's ever preached to me about how much better Chicago is than where I'm from. Typical responses when I tell people I'm from elsewhere is "Welcome" or "How do you like Chicago?" I don't know what kind of a-holes your family is, but nobody I know out here does that.
You've criticized quite a few places that I have lived in and loved. I have refrained from commenting as I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion although I don't believe you have lived in all the places that you have stereotyped/criticized based on some of your comments. Regardless of all that, it's your delivery that I have the real problem with. Why all the venom?
Rate this post positively

Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,488,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Excuse me for abruptly butting into this spirited conversation. But I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm in the south as well and despise it. I'm a 32 y/o black male that plans on escaping the hellhole which is Memphis, TN. This is the worst city in the union, IMO. Even the "educated" blacks are unevolved, xenophobic, insular, hypocrites with shifty characteristics. And they always talk about church and Jesus but never practice what they preach. It's like they have no conscious. Not to mention it's one of the most violent cities in America. Low literacy rate, high infant mortality rate, you name it!!

To Lorielicious, are you one of those types who constantly updates her social media profiles and believes in flaunting material possession? You know, has to have the latest fashions and considers herself a "young black professional"? I don't want to make any assumptions. That's why I'm asking. You may be totally opposite of that. But that's the type of pretentiousness I'm trying to distance myself from. Those are what I consider wannabees. That could be why you consider Minneapolis hokey. It may not fit into what you consider a real big city.

Someone mentioned being from Atlanta. That was my first choice for years. But that place has changed drastically. The black population seems quite vain. They flaunt material possessions like there's no tomorrow. It's annoying as hell to me. Makes the city seem tainted. And the gay population is too aggressive and pushy to me. I believe in live and let live but I don't appreciate super horny gay males constantly making passes at me. I AM from Memphis. Sorry, we don't play that here.

You will LOVE the Twin Cities compared to Memphis! Its a night and day difference. It is true that compared to many other places Minnesotant's are not known to really flaunt their wealth, some do but most others find it irritating. Its not so much that they are envious of other peoples possessions but more like they feel sorry for said person to feel that they need to flaunt themselves to be so called happy. It seems the gay crowd in Minneapolis is more of the professional, relationship and family orientated type and not the in your face type, in fact I know of only a few gay bars in Minneapolis (I'm sure there is more), point being the gay/straight population blends well in the Twin Cities IMO whether it be work, recreation, entertainment, church & neighborhoods etc.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

928 posts, read 1,620,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeb4 View Post
You've criticized quite a few places that I have lived in and loved. I have refrained from commenting as I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion although I don't believe you have lived in all the places that you have stereotyped/criticized based on some of your comments. Regardless of all that, it's your delivery that I have the real problem with. Why all the venom?
Some of this might be in your head, as I've only claimed to live a handful of places. I'm from LA, have lived in the SF Bay Area, Mpls and currently live in Chicago. Visited a lot of places, but those will be the only four I've ever claimed to have lived in. So if you don't believe that, then I'm not sure what to tell you other than "All right then." If you have some kind of personal e-beef with me, I'm also not sure what to tell you other than "All right then." Peace.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Some of this might be in your head, as I've only claimed to live a handful of places. I'm from LA, have lived in the SF Bay Area, Mpls and currently live in Chicago. Visited a lot of places, but those will be the only four I've ever claimed to have lived in. So if you don't believe that, then I'm not sure what to tell you other than "All right then." If you have some kind of personal e-beef with me, I'm also not sure what to tell you other than "All right then." Peace.
I believe you criticized Atlanta & the south as a whole and that's not in the list of places you've lived, so no its not in my head. Believe me I wholeheartedly believe you lived in the above places you listed. No doubt in my mind. So "all right then."

Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Aye, in your head indeed. That was in this thread and I gave full disclosure, admitting I was "stereotyping" and "guessing" when I was speculating about what it's like in Atl/the South. If I've never been a place, I'll say so.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Aye, in your head indeed. That was in this thread and I gave full disclosure, admitting I was "stereotyping" and "guessing" when I was speculating about what it's like in Atl/the South. If I've never been a place, I'll say so.
And if you will go back & read my post, the stereotyping/guessing/criticizing or whatever you want to call it is not my main problem with you. Like I said everybody has their opinion...right, wrong or indifferent. What you neglected to address is the manner of delivery of your points and the venom/anger connected with it.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM

*shrug* I don't know how to reply to that because I'm not angry. If I ask you if you've stopped beating your wife, should I expect a serious response? Sure I throw some snark into my posts, and all this unrealistic fawning made me have to bring out the snark-bombs in full force. Plus you always seem like the bad guy when native the fanbois are throwing the ticker tape around and then you, from the outside, go, "Meh, it was okay."

And that's true in a lot of these C-D forums. I read people asking the low-down of the city, and all the natives paint it as Heaven on Earth, then someone not from there points out flaws, and the gangs boo hiss the opinions away as "venom" or with whatever else dismissive descriptor.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM

5,530 posts, read 11,251,976 times
Quote:
Ha ha. A bit touchy when someone criticizes your town? I made great friends in MN, but I also encountered a lot of backwaterness, and I'm not alone. I'm not sure where in Chicago you think I live, but I'm not at Rush/Division. No one's ever preached to me about how much better Chicago is than where I'm from. Typical responses when I tell people I'm from elsewhere is "Welcome" or "How do you like Chicago?" I don't know what kind of a-holes your family is, but nobody I know out here does that.
Not my family, most Chicagoans. But you obviously don't know what you're talking about, seeing as though you moved there and live in transplant-ville.

So what is your reasoning for coming onto this thread? You came on here to tell the OP how you think Minneapolis is pretentious and over-rated and then insult its people and the people who respond to your negative attitude. I have been to MANY places I don't like very much (LA is one of them) but I have never gone so far as to go to a regional forum for one of those places, register so I can add to the thread, and then trash everything possible about the place and convince others not to live there. Then you personally attack my entire family. What response did you expect -- appreciation? You must be a very miserable person to go that far just to spread some hatred! Get a boyfriend or something so you can find somebody who gives you positive attention, because clearly you need it!!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 PM

Dude, you have no idea where I live, but nice try. I don't live in Lakeview, or whatever else Northie Chic neighborhood you think I'm in. I came to this thread to give an actual outsider's view of someone who views herself as very similar to the OP, and not the account some die-hard Mpls fundie who won't let a speck of dust fall on the town's pristine self-image. There are a lot of things to like about Mpls, but some of what's in this thread is fanatical puffery. I didn't expect the natives to go, "Ya know, that Lorie is goshdarn right!" but they're not who I was writing for.

But uhh, you keep on speculating wildly about my life, pal. You seem to know where I live, my relationship status and my general level of happiness. What else? What's my contact lens rx, and how do I take my coffee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul