U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,916 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband,6 yr. old girl and a dog will be moving to the St. Paul area from Queen Creek Arizona. We plan to rent for a year before we buy so we can get to know the area. Would like to avoid living in an apartment or a condo. We do not want to pay more than 1800 for rent and I am afraid that may seriously limit the areas we can choose from.
My husbands job is in Vadnais Heights and we are interested in finding a very safe, family oriented neighborhood with decent schools. As far as houses go anything 1600 sf or more that is not horribly run down and out of date will due for the year we rent.
The important part is saftey, closeness to work (20 min commute one way or less) and good schools. I don't have a clue about what neighborhoods to stay away from and which to look in. My realtor seems to want us to go anyplace but Vadnais heights. It looks like a fairly nice place to live but with her response, I am guessing it isn't a good area?
Any help with understanding the local towns and neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated. We move in TWO WEEKS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:46 PM

989 posts, read 1,607,185 times
Hmmm...I'm not overly familiar with Vadnais Heights but I don't recall it being unsafe. In fact, if I had to quick guess one word, I'd guess "boring". That's going to come off harsh, and I don't intend it to be. I just don't think of VH as having an especially eye-catching quality about it - which maybe is a good thing if you just want quiet, residential.

You may have to ask for a point-blank answer why your agent seems to want to avoid VH. Maybe it's because resale of properties isn't great? Maybe because it's not near much shopping (at least as compared to other burbs)? Older and smaller stock of homes or less available to rent in the are because it's heavily single-family homes? Maybe there's something personal on the agent's perception?

I did a quick search via Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
and selected VH's city report. It pulled up two ZIP codes, 55127 and 55110. 55127 had actually a significantly lower crime risk than MN in general according to the site. 55110 wasn't as good as 55127, but better than MN in general.

Maybe others more intimately familiar with VH will offer a better idea, but for what you're saying you want I would so far say keep looking in the area.

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 04:00 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 04:30 PM

290 posts, read 629,691 times
Good Afternoon:

So you have just two-weeks left with the 114 degree heat in "The Valley". If your husband will be working right in Vadnais Heights, it puzzles me why your realtor is attempting to steer you away from the very middle to upper middle class suburb of Vadnais Heights?

Vadnais Heights, (zip code 55127), is mainly college educated professionals with their growing families. In fact most of the Northeast suburbs: Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake( zip code 55110), Mahtomedi (zip code 55115), North Oaks, Shoreview(zip code 55126), White Bear Township, Arden Hills (zip code 55112), Dellwood all have one of the highest concentration of engineers and scientists in the United States with most working for: Maplewood based 3M Corporation; Fridley based Medtronic Corporation; Little Canada based St. Jude Medical; Vadnais Heights based H.B. Fuller or S.E.H.and the University of Minnesota.

Nearly all of Vadnais Heights housing stock is under 20-years -old, with much of that around 10-years-old. Mainly single family homes with some townhome developments in Vadnais Heights and White Bear Lake. The only part of Vadnais Heights I would consider to be run down is a row of apartments in the 900 block and 1000 maybe the 1100 block of County Road D nestled against Interstate 694 which most people consider to be the city of Little Canada; even there property crime will be your main concern, It is still safe! Everywhere else is very family orientated with great schools wonderful parks, regional bike trails and walking paths, open green spaces, lakes like: Lake Vadnais, Sucker Lake, Snail Lake in Shoreview and the 2nd or 3rd largest lake in the entire Metropolitan area being in the community immediately to the east being White Bear Lake with the historic old-world small town charm of the city of White Bear Lake being right being right on the shores of White Bear Lake.

Vadnais Heights is less than 10-miles to Downtown St. Paul and less than 20-miles to Downtown Minneapolis and less than 25-miles to the MSP International Airport.

Most of Vadnais Heights is in the White Bear Lake School District #624 with the western portion of Vadnais heights is in the Mounds View School District #621. Both districts are among the best in the State. Check with the Minnesota Department of Education website for standardized test scores and demograghic, socio-economic comparisons.

Since you live in the East Valley, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake , Shoreview all remind me a lot like Gilbert or East Mesa. Vadnais Heights has your grocery stores, Target, banks, mid-priced hotels such as Holiday Inn Expressand Country Inn, restaurants, very nice parks. The Wal-Mart is finally being expanded into a Supercenter with full groceries.

Vadnais Heights is also close enough to the busier suburbs with more upscale shopping and dinning like Roseville, Maplewood, and Woodbury all suburbs which you will find similar to East Valley suburbs like: Chandler, Tempe and the parts of Mesa near the Superstition Springs Mall and Fiesta Mall. Rosedale Mall in Roseville and Maplewood Mall are much like Chandler Fashion Square or Superstion Springs Mall while Woodbury Lakes and Tamarac Village both in Woodbury are lifestyle malls very much like the new San-Tan Shopping Center in Gilbert or Dana Park on Baseline and Val Vista Roads.

The commute in the Twin Cities can be tougher because the main interstates are I-694 and I-35E are only two-lanes in each direction and are not as well maintained as the Phoenix freeways, so you will not want to live real far from where you work, plus there is snow and ice in the Twin Cities. You will miss the San-Tan portion and Red Mountain portion of the Loop 202 freeway and the U.S. 60 Superstition Freeway when you move to Minneapolis St. Paul.

I believe your family will enjoy Vadnais Heights, and by all means write us with any questions or clarifications you may have and also with any questions or help settling-in once your family has arrived in the Northeast suburbs.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:34 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,477 times
I have heard a little that the Walmart brings "the wrong element" into Vadnais Heights. I kind of assumed that was closet racism/classism. I've been to that Walmart a few times and there are non-wealthy/non-trendy people, but it doesn't feel unsafe at all.

Other than some misplaced fear of an area that has a Walmart, I can't imagine someone thinking Vadnais Heights being a bad area at all. I've been in contact with many folks that live there and have never heard such a thing. I've spent some time there and never seen anything that felt at all unsafe. There are fabulous trails there and in general a nicely wooded feel (kind of a mini-northwoods). I'd live there without hesitation. On second thought, I'd actually be a little concerned that it's too nice/safe and would feel sheltered.

I guess maybe someone would think Shoreview or North Oaks or Arden Hills are nicer? That might be true with a certain definition of "nice", but you're basically arguing that a Lexus isn't a nice car because there are some brands that are nicer.

For what it's worth, I get the impression that the Mounds View school district is stronger than White Bear Lake. But, White Bear Lake's district is at worst viewed as okay.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 PM

2,458 posts, read 1,776,008 times
It's very safe...... But there are much better suburbs out there. It's an ok place, but nothing about it stands out...... And maybe that's a good thing to you. It's one of those suburbs you pass on the highway and never have a reason to stop.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 PM

2,041 posts, read 4,532,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It's one of those suburbs you pass on the highway and never have a reason to stop.
That about sums it up pretty good.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It's very safe...... But there are much better suburbs out there. It's an ok place, but nothing about it stands out...... And maybe that's a good thing to you. It's one of those suburbs you pass on the highway and never have a reason to stop.
The Vadnais Sports Center looks to be pretty cool. The drive/bike/walk through the middle of Vadnais Lake is pretty cool. Probably my favorite lake spot in the metro. I've gone out of my way to run on the trails in Oak Creek Park (maybe Snail Lake is as good/better, but Oak Creek is unpaved).

Old 08-27-2011, 12:26 AM

989 posts, read 1,607,185 times
I should add the questions I suggested as reasons why your agent seems to not want you to move there are not necessarily meant to be subtle suggestions those reasons are true (in other words, just because I suggest you ask if the housing stock is older does not necessarily mean automatically it is). I just threw those questions out there are theoretical possibilities to explore further.

Based on the other answers, seems like my hunch that VH is safe is also true. I'd suggest pushing your agent a lot harder to explain him/herself.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,475,962 times
I would look into the Mounds View Schools and the Mahtomedi schools on that side of the cities. Both areas would be simple commutes and both districts rank as some of the best in the nation. Vadinais Heights is one of those places where some developer build some houses and a few things grew up around it. Not all that long ago it was just a sign on the highway. If you do live in Vadinais Heights, the White Bear Lake schools are pretty good, just not AS good as Mounds View and Mahtomedi. White Bear Lake has a pretty high population of kids that open enroll in the other two districts. MN has statewide open enrollment so if you live in one town you can apply to attend school in another town at not additional cost to you but you do have to transport your children on your own. It's a nice option if you live in an area and what different schools but don't want to have to move.

Also, 35E is 4 lanes going into St. Paul--not sure when mn55110 was last on that road on the north side of St. Paul?? 694 is also 3 lane for most of the loop on the north side as well. Neither really matter if you don't have to drive into St. Paul for work though.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,916 times
This was so helpfull, thank you so much for all the information! I don't know how anyone could miss the 202 during rush hour but it will be fun finding out.

I didn't know that MN schools are open enrollment and makes our house choice a little easier. We can try to enroll her where we plan to buy and she will not have to move schools again in a year.

I still don't understand the realtors desire to avoid Vadnais Heights but it is not going to deter us from asking to see homes in this area.

I sincerely thank everyone that gave us this information. You were much more forth coming than our realtor and have set my mind at ease about much of the move.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul