Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The wild animal hazards seem a bit overstated to me. Mostly, you'll see squirrels and raccoons. There can be a lot of deer in the suburbs. The man-eating stuff is rather rare. As to mosquitos, yes, Off works fine. Mosquitos are also quite rare in the city proper.
True, though here in Highland Park I have seen deer, foxes, raccoons and opossums wandering around. They are not hazards, though. Biggest hazards in MN IMHO are deer ticks but I've never seen one in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 AM

411 posts, read 992,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingcupcakes View Post
I can't believe there are deer in the metro area. When I think of Minneapolis, I think of a smaller New York, I just can't see a deer running out in the road. I'm gonna love this place.
Last summer I saw a panicked deer running down an alley between 2nd and 3rd Ave N downtown Minneapolis. There were pics a couple years back of deer wandering down Marquette near Pete's Diner. And I often see deer while drive through Wirth Park.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I suppose lake safety would be one, although mostly that's common sense. Wildlife isn't a danger here (not even any poisonous snakes in Minneapolis!), so the biggest issue I warn my son about is the same stuff you'd warn your kids about in every city: being safe around cars.

That said, I (yes, I am a wimp) don't like dangling my feet in lake water, as I have visions of a large fish chomping on my toes.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:02 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,482 times
Swimming pools are much more dangerous than wild animals. I know people involved in two pool drownings this summer.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
we got muskies in Lake Harriet and Lake Nokomis that would swallow a fully grown alligator in one bite I tell ya!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:34 PM

18 posts, read 34,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
As to mosquitos, yes, Off works fine. Mosquitos are also quite rare in the city proper.
Mosquitoes are most definitely NOT rare in the city proper. They get bad enough that we get chased off our deck by them several times every summer.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisascending View Post
Mosquitoes are most definitely NOT rare in the city proper. They get bad enough that we get chased off our deck by them several times every summer.
ohhhhhh no! a mosquito! run inside, run inside!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:29 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
If you're sensitive to mosquito's they can make late summer pretty miserable. We took our son to urgent care one year because one leg was larger than other, turns out it was from a few mosquito bites. Allergy medication helps. We also have a Thermacell that does help thin them out. For some reason they go after some people more than others.

They're thick here. Maybe in the core urban areas where there's not a lot of grass they're not but even in areas with smaller city sized yards they can be horrible.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
If you're sensitive to mosquito's they can make late summer pretty miserable. We took our son to urgent care one year because one leg was larger than other, turns out it was from a few mosquito bites. Allergy medication helps. We also have a Thermacell that does help thin them out. For some reason they go after some people more than others.

They're thick here. Maybe in the core urban areas where there's not a lot of grass they're not but even in areas with smaller city sized yards they can be horrible.
Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, not grass. Why does grass matter?

Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, not grass. Why does grass matter?
They may breed in water but they rest during the day in tall weeds or grass and will also lay eggs in moist soil. Both will eat nectar while females also feed on blood to help lay eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul