Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times

Advertisements

Since you're flying in February, It's good that you're planning several months in advance.

And I recommend what everyone else has said, MOA, and watch your time.

The rides are fun, that is what I'd recommend. Unless of course you don't like rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
I was going to say airport bar.
The op has kids, 8-15 years old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Since you're flying in February, It's good that you're planning several months in advance.

And I recommend what everyone else has said, MOA, and watch your time.

The rides are fun, that is what I'd recommend. Unless of course you don't like rides.

Perfect...send them to the MOA, then go hit the airport bar!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Do bear in mind the time it takes to get thro Security on your way back. I flew out of MSP about 10 days ago and the security line was ridiculous. ONE person checking IDs and boarding passes, about 15 guys standing around looking at monitors, passing people thro the scanners, picking up bags on the other side and two guys literally wandering around with their hands in their pockets.

When we finally got past the ID checker and went up to one of the two conveyor belts we discovered it had ran out of plastic trays so we went to the other one. I told the person behind us they'd run out of trays and the ID checker heard me. She got up, looked around and yelled at the guys just standing there, "Can you get more trays here please." I swear to god, one of them literally rolled his eyes! The guy at the scanner was going to make us go thro the x-ray machine but when he realised our bags were already thro and out the other side he said to just go thro the regular scanner because there was already a queue of about 8 people waiting to walk thro.

It took us nearly 45 minutes to get all the way thro Security on a Monday afternoon.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Right, hence my suggestion. Seriously now, the MOA is a good idea, as it's right on the LRT.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,945 times
There is a touring company within the Minneapolis St.Paul airport that caters to people on long layovers. There is a small desk in the Main mall by F concourse. I took the tour, and loved that I learned about the city and got an overview of EVERYTHING that is near by. I only had three hours, but wish I had a longer layover since I was already out and about. Its worth checking out, MSP Tours- and they give family discounts.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:08 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I'm actually sort of surprised people leave airports during 3-4 hour layovers. That never occurs to me at all, as I'd be afraid that I'd underestimate transit time and security time and wind up missing a flight.

Although, with close and reliable access to the MOA, Minneapolis is probably one of the better places to do it.
Years ago, I had a 2 hour layover at Reagan National Airport. I jumped on the Metro, rode it into to town and spent about 30 minutes just walking around the periphery of the White House grounds. A little dose of DC, sure beat hanging out in the terminal! No regrets!

The LRT ride from MSP to MOA is <10 minutes, and the station is right inside the mall. Very easy to do.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
If your kids are into planes, there is a nice little observation deck. Not many people know about it so you usually have it all to yourself.

edited to add...Oh and I'd recommend Mall of America like everyone else. I was just giving you another option if you have a few extra minutes.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 659 times
If you have a few hours to kill, hop on the light rail blue line to the Longfellow neighborhood where we have the best local restaurants, shops, and the breathtaking Minnehaha Falls. Takes about 5 minutes from MSP. Shop, Eat and explore the MinneMile where you will find several locally owned vintage shops offering your favorite retro vintage finds along with locally handmade gift items.

Here is a list of Shops:

Time Bomb Vintage
Junket: Tossed and Found
E's Emporium
Paris Antiques
Turquoise Vintage
Family Estate Sales
Plum Crabby

Places to Eat:
Sea Saltery
Tiny Diner
Blue Door
Gandhi Mahal
Himalayan Restaurant
Longfellow Grill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul