Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote yes to build a new Vikings Stadium?
Yes, it is worth the 0.5% tax increase, we need to keep the Vikings in MN 28 42.42%
No, I shouldn't have to pay money for a stadium to be built, let them leave 38 57.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:14 PM

332 posts, read 821,883 times

Advertisements

Thanks! That makes sense. I think that tax increase is pretty minimal but that is just my opinion. With all of these statistics previously cited, do they factor in the money they will save by having less Minnesotans collecting unemployment? Also, did they consider making more state income taxes due to more people working as the new stadium is being built?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
Thanks! That makes sense. I think that tax increase is pretty minimal but that is just my opinion. With all of these statistics previously cited, do they factor in the money they will save by having less Minnesotans collecting unemployment? Also, did they consider making more state income taxes due to more people working as the new stadium is being built?
Minnesota Vikings | Facts

http://prod.static.vikings.clubs.nfl...tes-021511.pdf

According to Mortensen Construction, a new Vikings stadium will support 13,000 jobs, including 7,500 construction jobs, and have a $754 million subcontract value.

According to Minnesota’s Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED), unemployment in the construction trades industry is currently at 19.7%.

Significant underemployment also exists in the industry. Because of a lack of work, many workers are working less than 40 hours per week and losing benefits such as healthcare and pension credit as a result.

Surrounding road, sewer and other infrastructure improvements will create additional construction jobs.

In addition, the fabrication and delivery of project materials (materials cost estimated at $467 million) will create a separate substantial number of jobs with living wages.

The jobs created from this project will generate roughly $10 million in income tax revenue for the State’s General Fund and approximately $5 million for the State’s Unemployment Insurance (UI) Fund.

Putting these people back to work saves the UI Fund millions of dollars in benefi
t payments to unemployed construction workers.

95% of the total materials and labor subcontract value will go to local trades people within Minnesota.

A new stadium will generate over $21 million per year in tax revenue to the State.

Operation of the facility will support 3,400 on-going full and part-time jobs. The Vikings game days currently support over 2,800 jobs.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Minnesota Vikings | Facts

http://prod.static.vikings.clubs.nfl...tes-021511.pdf

According to Mortensen Construction, a new Vikings stadium will support 13,000 jobs, including 7,500 construction jobs, and have a $754 million subcontract value.

According to Minnesota’s Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED), unemployment in the construction trades industry is currently at 19.7%.

Significant underemployment also exists in the industry. Because of a lack of work, many workers are working less than 40 hours per week and losing benefits such as healthcare and pension credit as a result.

Surrounding road, sewer and other infrastructure improvements will create additional construction jobs.

In addition, the fabrication and delivery of project materials (materials cost estimated at $467 million) will create a separate substantial number of jobs with living wages.

The jobs created from this project will generate roughly $10 million in income tax revenue for the State’s General Fund and approximately $5 million for the State’s Unemployment Insurance (UI) Fund.

Putting these people back to work saves the UI Fund millions of dollars in benefi
t payments to unemployed construction workers.

95% of the total materials and labor subcontract value will go to local trades people within Minnesota.

A new stadium will generate over $21 million per year in tax revenue to the State.

Operation of the facility will support 3,400 on-going full and part-time jobs. The Vikings game days currently support over 2,800 jobs.
But half the state doesn't get it. This logic is ignored and the government shuts down from over spending, yet when something had a ROI such as a stadium they are waging campaigns to fight against it.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:01 PM

332 posts, read 821,883 times
I would happily pay $50 more in sales tax (estimated) per year for even just 1 unemployed worker (will be 13,000) to go back to work. Those workers then may qualify for health care benefits for themselves and their family. Less people on MN Care the better. Less people getting unemployment the better. More people working and spending their money supporting MN businesses the better.

Last edited by danielle_pal; 09-23-2011 at 04:12 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 04:15 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Packing Them In: Ranking Each NFL Team's Fans Based on Attendance | Bleacher Report

Interesting--The Vikings rank 10th in total attendance percentage at games....Green Bay--18th. I guess WI doesn't like football, MN does

Old 09-23-2011, 04:39 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
I have a friend who got a job at Headwaters on the Club level at the X when the Wild came here. $20 mixed drinks brings in good tax from those attending the games. I don't know specifics but creating a new stadium/arena will produce jobs. How good or how much those jobs can be taxed I don't know. Plus if the stadium is used year 'round, it will bring in eve more revenue.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 PM

411 posts, read 992,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Packing Them In: Ranking Each NFL Team's Fans Based on Attendance | Bleacher Report

Interesting--The Vikings rank 10th in total attendance percentage at games....Green Bay--18th. I guess WI doesn't like football, MN does
Hmm. Sellouts in a row: Packers 269, Vikings 104 Season ticket waiting list: Packers 78,000, Vikings NONE

Packers - Best fans in the NFL Well us and the Steelers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/previe...ory?id=3530077

Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times
Good riddance. I hate American football. Give us an MLS team or bump the NSC Stars up.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:38 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Good riddance. I hate American football. Give us an MLS team or bump the NSC Stars up.
because that already hasn't failed before

Old 09-23-2011, 10:07 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Somebody just needs to put up the $50+ million franchise fee plus the money for the required soccer specific stadium.

I don't think the National Sports Center has that kind of money to spend, so that probably rules out the Stars moving up.

I have heard/read rumors of Zygi Wilf talking with MLS about a possible expansion in MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul