U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
 
5 posts, read 23,254 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello All -

I'll be relocating soon to the Twin Cities, working in Bloomington. However I do not want to live in the burbs. We presently have a $240,000 (4 BR 2 bath) 2 year old house in a nice urban neighborhood in Cincinnati and want to buy something similiar in the Twin Cities. Since I have 2 urban locales to choose from, I'm interested in which one is percieved to be better (schools, housing, etc)? Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2007, 12:30 PM
 
2,506 posts, read 8,222,473 times
Reputation: 852
Minneapolis
Western, younger population, more Scandinavian, larger population
more amenities, worse public services, better parks
Saint Paul
Eastern, older population, Irish and German, blue-collar, smaller,
fewer amenities, better services, better libraries, older city (still has older architecture, Mpls. got demolition happy in the 1950s)
Both are amazing cities, Saint Paul will be more like Cincinnati. Minneapolis is more fun as far as nightlife goes. Housing in Saint Paul is older, there will be more homes from the pre-1900 era. I think Minneapolis will have more new construction. As far as schools go, they are overall better in Saint Paul, but the best urban high school is prob. in Minneapolis (Saint Paul is more uniform, Mpls. has more drastic changes between schools). It is all a matter of preference, I am Minneapolis, but sometimes secretly wish I were born in Saint Paul. Plus, you can always be indecisive and live near the river. Good luck on your move.
---Minnehahapolitan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 05:20 PM
 
2,506 posts, read 8,222,473 times
Reputation: 852
/\That's a hell of a commute. That was also completely unwarranted. Should this person find a new job and move 2,000 miles from their intended city on your personal whim? Get lost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 06:24 PM
 
5 posts, read 23,254 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Minneapolis
Western, younger population, more Scandinavian, larger population
more amenities, worse public services, better parks
Saint Paul
Eastern, older population, Irish and German, blue-collar, smaller,
fewer amenities, better services, better libraries, older city (still has older architecture, Mpls. got demolition happy in the 1950s)
Both are amazing cities, Saint Paul will be more like Cincinnati. Minneapolis is more fun as far as nightlife goes. Housing in Saint Paul is older, there will be more homes from the pre-1900 era. I think Minneapolis will have more new construction. As far as schools go, they are overall better in Saint Paul, but the best urban high school is prob. in Minneapolis (Saint Paul is more uniform, Mpls. has more drastic changes between schools). It is all a matter of preference, I am Minneapolis, but sometimes secretly wish I were born in Saint Paul. Plus, you can always be indecisive and live near the river. Good luck on your move.
---Minnehahapolitan
Thanks for your very informative response. Any areas recommended to look to live for my price range?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 09:49 PM
 
136 posts, read 313,008 times
Reputation: 173
I have lived in both, and currently live in St. Paul. The previous poster gave a great comparison. One thing I noticed when moving to St. Paul, which really sums up the difference for me, is that when we were out walking, or out to eat in Mpls, everyone was in their 20s or 30s. We noticed immediately in St. Paul that the ages are very mixed - we go out and see ages 0 to 99. St. Paul feels much more like an eastern city (we are from Pgh) and much more comfortable and family friendly to us. I wish I could help you with houses in your price range, but I don't know much except our area, which is Highland/MacGroveland. This is an awesome area, and I highly recommend it, but the houses might be too expensive. Our house is a 1931, 1 and a half story with 1200 square feet (very common housing style here), and would probably list for 290,000.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 AM
 
2,506 posts, read 8,222,473 times
Reputation: 852
Sorry Monti, I'm just a "jerkwater' who hasn't traveled east of Chicago, I have terrible manners who can't take a simple joke that compares my city to a pile of ****. Not only are you the greatest comedian since Carlin, but you have me completely figured out. I learn something new about myself everyday from you. If only every city sprawled as far as Minneapolis, we could cover the earth in Norske sprawl and seccumb to our own communal stupidity. (We could all stop over at Rochester and wait to die!,) If you have something that you would like to tell me, have the balls to do so. If not, you are just mocking me with your juvenile cloaked jabs. Go to hell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 AM
 
2,506 posts, read 8,222,473 times
Reputation: 852
I can suggest areas, but I need to know if you are looking for a house similar in size to your current home in Cincinnati in a relatively less desirable area, or if if you would prefer a better neighborhood and a smaller home. Minneapolis is alot more expensive than Cincinnati, and you won't likely find that big of a home in the 240,000 range unless you settle for a more marginal area. Let me know
---Minnehahapolitan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 03:14 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
10,244 posts, read 15,251,125 times
Reputation: 5283
If you're working in Bloomington your best bet is south Minneapolis. From there it depends on your price range. For more modest living check out Powderhorn and Longfellow. If you're financially secure check out Nokomis/Southwest. Your commute would be very pleasant from any of these areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 AM
 
5 posts, read 23,254 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I can suggest areas, but I need to know if you are looking for a house similar in size to your current home in Cincinnati in a relatively less desirable area, or if if you would prefer a better neighborhood and a smaller home. Minneapolis is alot more expensive than Cincinnati, and you won't likely find that big of a home in the 240,000 range unless you settle for a more marginal area. Let me know
---Minnehahapolitan
Our current home is 2400 square feet. Our ceiling is probably 275K. Newer construction would be nice but not a necessity. In terms of desireable area the biggest things for us are the school system and a house at least 2,000 square feet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
 
5 posts, read 23,254 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If you're working in Bloomington your best bet is south Minneapolis. From there it depends on your price range. For more modest living check out Powderhorn and Longfellow. If you're financially secure check out Nokomis/Southwest. Your commute would be very pleasant from any of these areas.
Are the schools in Powderhorn/Longefellow good? Particualalry high school the kids are assigned to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top