Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,648,444 times

Advertisements

If you are considering audio engineering or music production as a career, you'd be better off buying a copy of Pro Tools and learning how to use it.

I've been an audio engineer since the 80's, and am still. IMO, music trade schools are a waste of money - most everything you'll learn there you can find on the Internet for free. A College in music production makes as little sense as a college in bricklaying - it's a trade. Nobody in the business cares if you went to college, all they care about is you knowing which end of a mic cable plugs into the console.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,902 times
Default College Credits are not guaranteed anywhere

I transferred from Occidental College (highly rated and fully accredited private) to Berklee College of Music in Boston. Berklee would not accept any of my music course credits from Occidental (music theory, music history, orchestration). The Dean told me Berklee would not accept music credits from traditional schools because of Berklee's non-traditional approach. So I paid for 5 years of college instead of 4. I'm not complaining, just saying transfer of credits from one private college to another is not guaranteed.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,446 times
Clearly a lot of time has passed since the first post here, and much has changed. I'll give my $0.02. For the record, I'm a current graduate student at McNally Smith.

First, there is now student housing available.

Tuition IS outrageous and it's frustrating, but keep in mind that this is a state-of-the-art facility, and if you were to pay for individually for what you are given access to here, you would pay much more.

As previously stated, the faculty is amazing. Save for the few situations that are often attributed to personality conflicts and such, you couldn't get this opportunity to study with people like this anywhere else.

It is true that I found some of the information about accreditation less than up-front when I started here. McNally Smith IS currently in the process of being fully accredited, but there is a real struggle with having a non-traditional ground-breaking program like this go through the process set up by traditional classical music programs. It's like asking a Russian judge to hear your case in traffic court (I have no idea where that comparison came from). But the expectation is that in the next couple of years, McNally Smith will be fully accredited... not in time to benefit me, but whatever.

Basically, you get what you put into it. If you really take advantage of what is offered, you'll get your money's worth. As far as placement, that is a funny thought when one thinks of the contemporary music industry. Not one professor here didn't have to do it themselves, and their job is to best prepare the students to do the same thing, not place them in a job. There are more internships than are filled, and opportunities for anyone who wants to apply themselves. I have found the faculty members to be very supportive. Talk to them and they will help you, but if you don't speak out, they won't necessarily know what you need.

Finally, I would never do a 4-year program here. There are several schools that have a 1-1 credit transfer (or close to it), including Anoka-Ramsey Community College which IS an accredited 2-year music school giving you an AFA degree when you're done. I did that program before completing my undergrad at the university level, and it was a fantastic decision. ARCC is a fraction of the cost of McNally Smith, so if you do two years at each, you end up paying a much more reasonable amount.

If you're interested in Hip Hop Studies or production, this is about as good as it gets.

So I'd suggest you just start talking to current & former students.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul