Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 AM

413 posts, read 787,289 times

Advertisements

There have been several threads on here discussing the relative difficulty of living without a car in Minneapolis - St. Paul and the best neighborhoods to live car free.

What I am interested in knowing more about, though, is the day-to-day experience of getting around exclusively by walking and using public transit in Minnesota winters.

I read that there are heaters in the bus shelters but that can only do so much. There's the SkyWay system but you have to get to downtown first.

It just seems like having a car and garage would go a long way toward mitigating winter's bite. How difficult or unpleasant is it to lack a car in the winter in Minneapolis or St. Paul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,147,762 times
It's like anything, you get used to it. It's amazing how "cold" 50 degrees feels in October but how warm it feels in March, it's all relative. The first week or so of really cold weather, usually late December, takes a few days to acclimate, after that, you just don't notice it as much-and that goes for driving in a car or walking. Of course, when you get those couple days of brutally cold, -40+ windchill type cold days, you just do the best you can or you just stay home.

Dressing for the weather also makes all the difference in the world. I had a roommate in college that would constantly complain about the cold, but she never wore anything but short sleeved shirts all winter, put on a couple warmer layers of clothing, appropriate outerwear and you are fine.

We have a car but spend plenty of time outside in the winter...

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,794,257 times
In my experience being car-less in winter makes you acclimated to the cold faster. Now that I don't have a car winters don't seem as bad as they used to. I actually enjoy big snow storms like I did when I was a kid, when people complain about driving in it or are trying to figure out where to park their car because of the snow emergency I just smile. I also don't gain weight in the winter anymore.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I actually enjoy big snow storms like I did when I was a kid, when people complain about driving in it or are trying to figure out where to park their car because of the snow emergency I just smile.
I'm looking forward to this

One of the main reason I gave up my car is actually due to the winters. I don't have garage parking and would have to drive to the airport (frequently due to job) instead of taking a quick taxi. I also hated driving during a snow storm and sliding my way to work, much rather be in a beastly bus or with a grizzled professional cab driver.

e: To actually help the OP, I'd recommend hand warmers and thermal underwear to deal with the cold. Also a single speed cyclocross (no derailers to freeze up and can fit wide tires) bike to get around...

Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,017,241 times
I spent my first year at the UM (which was my sophomore year as I was a transfer) without a car, like many students. Taking the bus and walking were the only options my friends and I had. Of course, having an unlimited travel bus/light rail pass for only $97/semester helps as you can always get on a bus and not worry about not having change to pay fare.

It's not terribly difficult, but it definitely is a change of pace not using a car in the winter. Depending on how bad conditions were, it sometimes meant careful planning of bus schedules and then quite a bit of waiting at bus stops (most of which are just a pole in the sidewalk and don't have heaters) as more passengers are using the system (and therefore slowing it down) and poor driving conditions.

In general though, it's just like being car-less in the summer.

This last year I had a car when my friends and I moved off campus. It was only a mixed blessing. Having to worry about gas and shoveling the car out (and having more than one time where we had to push it out of the driveway) were definitely downers, though being able to make a quick Target run (instead of the bus method, which might be an hour-long trip) and getting places that aren't very accessible by bus were definite pluses.

I've ranted a bit now. But I think being car-less in Minneapolis isn't that bad if you live in an area that has decent bus service. Once you get out of Minneapolis and St. Paul, I'd definitely think it would be harder, especially in the winter.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,645,744 times
I spent 4 years in St Paul before I bought a car. You can get around if you try.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:23 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,660,945 times
I don't think it's a big deal, at least assuming you are already living in an area that is walkable and has decent bus service. Those areas will also tend to be the places where bus shelters are cleared first, and where sidewalks will mostly be passable (since you have to get to and from the bus stop!). I would agree that, generally speaking, it's about the same as being car-less in the summer. There are obviously going to be additional hassles, but that goes for drivers, too; bus riders have to stand on a cold corner waiting for a bus, but when it arrives it will at least be warm and toasty, and if you're lucky it will drop you off very near to where you want to go. If you have a car and have street parking you'd have to go out and potentially shovel out your car, or at least climb over snow drifts and scrape the windshield, and it takes some time for it to warm up. If, on the other hand, you have an attached garage and are driving primarily to somewhere with an attached garage, I'm sure you can cut out some of that inconvenience factor. In many cases, though, taking the bus is much easier in winter than dealing with driving, assuming that you are living in a neighborhood where that is easy and doable. No dealing with parking restrictions, no shoveling out a garage, no sitting in a cold car while you wait for it to warm up, no driving in snowy conditions. You're going to get cold at times whether or not you have a car. In general, though, there are really only a few times of the year when I find it really unpleasant to be outside in the winter. You DO get used to it, and there will probably be times when you can fully appreciate just how beautiful it can be.

One option, assuming you just want a car to run to the store or do other errands and not deal with trekking home with shopping bags or the like, is to join HOURCAR; it's the local car-share program. They've been expanding locations, so it might be something to keep in mind as an option as you look for places to live.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:39 PM

23,135 posts, read 28,869,286 times
I think it's a good healthy exercise, transporting oneself during the cold winters in MN, for everyone to try.

As this country barrels its way toward being a 3rd world country, there may not be any choice someday. Those that are doing on a regular basis today, have an edge over those that may be forced to do it some day.

I was car-less in Minneapolis in the 1970's, but then I either lived around Loring Park, Cedar Riverside, and, lastly, around Elliot Park, 5 blocks to the nearest skyway entrance. And it was the windier days that were the more painful. No wind, regardless of the temp, no problems!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 PM

1,993 posts, read 1,569,175 times
Makes it that much more fun without a car in winter! Many do just fine without one.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,017,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I think it's a good healthy exercise, transporting oneself during the cold winters in MN, for everyone to try.

As this country barrels its way toward being a 3rd world country, there may not be any choice someday. Those that are doing on a regular basis today, have an edge over those that may be forced to do it some day.

I was car-less in Minneapolis in the 1970's, but then I either lived around Loring Park, Cedar Riverside, and, lastly, around Elliot Park, 5 blocks to the nearest skyway entrance. And it was the windier days that were the more painful. No wind, regardless of the temp, no problems!
I think it may be a little melodramatic to say we're careening towards becoming a third-world nation. We may have some problems, but it's not that bad.

There are advantages to "knowing" how to walk to places though. I think it gives you a keener sense of an area than simply driving through. And, of course, the health benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul