Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 12:22 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

Do they have regular operating hours? Are they located in specific areas? We have a couple hours to kill in a couple weeks and we are looking for a "place" to eat. We will be at the dome. We usually eat at Grumpy's but it's always packed and we aren't always able to get a table in the time we need. Any other suggestions (besides Spaghetti Factory) that is in easy walking distance from the dome would be appreciated. We want casual, very casual as we will be in jeans and sweatshirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 01:47 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,557 times
I'm only familiar with the Food Trucks being downtown during the working days, not sure about the Dome.

My recommendation would be to check out Band Box, which is basically the Mpls counterpart to Mickey's Diner in DT St Paul. It's located just a few blocks south off the dome at Chicago Ave and 10th St (It was also featured in the first Mighty Ducks movie FWIW). It used to just be a lunch spot, but it's open until 9 from M-Sat.

ZenBox (Japanese) is scheduled to open soon at Mill District City Apts. I really like their lunch spot in the 6 Quebec building in the downtown skyways. They may be another option. There's also Sawahtee Thai on Washington & Portland and (in 7 Corners) Jewel of India and several casual spots around that area. I just read a good review in the Star trib about a new place that replaced Sgt Prestons at Washington & Cedar--it got a very good review. A bit further of a walk, but not too bad.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
To be honest, I'd think most of downtown Minneapolis would be easily reachable by foot. Yes, it could be a bit of a hike if you were over on Hennepin, but even that is only 8 blocks. I think that would open up a lot of opportunities (and if you really needed to get back to the Dome quick, you could just hop on the light rail at Hennepin or Nicollet and get off at DTE/Metrodome (It's only $0.50 a person if you stay downtown, so it's cheap travel!)

Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
It's more complicated this year than it was last year. That's because Minneapolis changed the system for vendors who park on the street. Last year, they had to be in a parking lot. This year, they can be in certain bus lanes, so long as they have an obstruction permit, and at any meter, so long as they pay the meter fees. The city also greatly expanded the areas where mobile food vendors are allowed beyond the downtown area. So while most vendors try to be at a certain spot at a certain time during the week, spots are first come first serve. Most people will track their favorites on Facebook or twitter to see where and when they'll be. Here's one website that can give you a rough idea. You can check ones that interest you for a website, Facebook page, or twitter account.
Minneapolis-St. Paul Street Food Directory | The Heavy Table - Minneapolis-St. Paul and Upper Midwest Food Magazine and Blog

Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
I work right by the dome, and I've never seen a food truck on that end of downtown (although that doesn't mean they aren't there when there are big events or somewhere I just haven't seen). Other than Huberts, your best bet is probably to head for one of several restaurants along Washington.

Otherwise, the US Bank Plaza on 2nd Ave S. and 6th St. has a reasonable food court. I recently discovered the Good to Go Deli (http://www.urgoodtogo.com/) which is fantastic. Kababs wraps, greek salads, etc.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:34 PM

302 posts, read 727,007 times
There are always food trucks on 10th Street S near Nicollet in downtown Minneapolis (basically outside of Target HQ)....including a CUPCAKE truck (dangerous!). There's also one on Nicollet (outside of the IDS bldg I believe?) that is VERY popular (always has long lines). Not sure how much longer they'll be around as weather gets colder, but they all seem to be doing good business so they must have tasty food (I can vouch that the cupcakes are delish!)!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 AM

I guess I neglected to say in the first post that this will be a Saturday late afternoon/early evening.

MplsTodd--Zenbox looks promising

Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
I think on the weekends the food trucks tend to be found at the various farmers' markets. Downtown Mpls is pretty much a M-F thing.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think on the weekends the food trucks tend to be found at the various farmers' markets. Downtown Mpls is pretty much a M-F thing.
Thanks--the food truck idea came from my Food Network addict DH and the friends that will be with us who are also Food Network addicts--we will have to try to find one another time--or maybe we will be lucky and they will find us .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul