Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 AM

75 posts, read 476,841 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move the Minneapolis area next year. South area - Burnsville, Lakeville, Rosemount - that area. So we'll do some driving around that area.

We are coming out next week for a visit. A few days with a realtor are planned. We want to go to MOA and Minnehaha Falls and walk around Nicolett Mall downtown. Possibly rent bikes somewhere?

What are some other great things to do? We'll have our 5 year old with us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
For the things on your list I would stay at a hotel near the MOA--the Lodge at MOA if your budget supports that since they have a great indoor waterpark. Otherwise the Country Inn and Suites behind the MOA is nice and easy to walk across the street to MOA. You can then hop on the lightrail from MOA to downtown Mlps. It stops right on Nicollet Ave.

There is a great Children's Museum in St. Paul as well as the Science Museum not far from that. The state fair starts tomorrow and runs through Labor Day so if you like fair junk food, you are coming at the right time. There is a great new exhibit (opened last year) where they have farm animals giving birth in a barn and you can watch the process. Kids LOVE this.

I think some of the bike shops rent bikes but not sure. Other then that I don't know of any place but someone else might.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
I know for (near) sure that the place on Lake and James rents bikes (its in an old house), there is also a tour place on Main Street that I think rents them, but I am less sure. If I had a five-year-old, I would also check out the Como Zoo and Park in Saint Paul, everything is kid friendly and free.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Try and get to the Apple Valley zoo too. You have to pay to get in but it's a pretty decent experience with a working farm and dolphin show. Otherwise Camp Snoppy at the MoA is good for kids as is the Children's Museum. You could also just visit the lakes near Uptown and take a walk around.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Kids and adults both will like the Science Museum. There's also the Mill City Museum in downtown Minneapolis.

Valleyfair is a blast, but I don't think your kid will be tall enough for many of the rides.

If you're into art / history / cultures, try the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.

Minnehaha Falls and environs are nice. A drive around the lakes (or even better, a bike ride) on the "Grand Rounds" route is just as good.

The Hmong International Market in St. Paul is a fascinating and little-known place.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I know for (near) sure that the place on Lake and James rents bikes (its in an old house), there is also a tour place on Main Street that I think rents them, but I am less sure. If I had a five-year-old, I would also check out the Como Zoo and Park in Saint Paul, everything is kid friendly and free.
Como Park is awesome, but the zoo is really depressing, and in my opinion-should be shut down. The Minnesota Zoo is 1000x's better-for your conscious and the animals.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 11,284 times
If you have the time, drive out to Stillwater - east of the cities about 30 miles on the Wisconsin border. Its a very pretty river town with hills and bluffs, quaint shops, pretty houses and gives you another whole perspective on the area. There are some nice restaurants right on the river.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 PM

58 posts, read 230,707 times
Yes, Como zoo is extremely depressing. Please steer clear from that place if you don't want to ruin the rest of your day. It hurts to look at those neglected animals. What a shame!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:29 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
I agree, check out the MN Zoo. It's in Apple Valley, right where you will be.

At Minnehaha Falls, there is a concession that rents those surrey things that you pedal like a bicycle. You can get a 4 seater. While at the park, grab a bite or a snack at Sea Salt. It's a reasonable priced seafood restaurant located in an old Park Pavilion with great outdoor seating.

If you make it over to Como Park, you can rent pedal boats and canoes at the Pavilion.

Have a fun trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul