Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times

Advertisements

Sidewalks definitely make me feel safer. My family has moved to various places that alter between sidewalks and no sidewalks, but for over the last decade, they've been in one house that is out in an area where the density simply doesn't allow for sidewalks. We've taken walks and bike rides many times and typically cars move around us, as they should. However, I've had 2 dogs killed near my house by cars, and at least one incident was specifically because there wasn't a separate place to walk. A girl came over the hill near our house and my brother and dog were walking on the edge (it's road, about a foot of dirt/gravel, and then a ditch with tall grasses) and slammed right into our dog. Obviously tragic, but it seems that she wasn't paying close enough attention, may have been speeding, and, of course, generally lacked the visuals.

In a typical subdivision, this may be less of an issue. But I don't see why anyone wouldn't like sidewalks (except, I suppose, expense?). This doesn't have to be an either/or issue. You can live in a place with little traffic and still enjoy the benefits they bring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We have sidewalks, the kids play in the street anyway. The people that live in our area know this and just watch out for the kids, slowing down as necessary. The kids also watch for the cars. Seems to work just fine .
As others have said, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. We just don't want our child's safety to depend on the attentiveness and skill of drivers.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
We have sidewalks, the kids play in the street anyway. The people that live in our area know this and just watch out for the kids, slowing down as necessary. The kids also watch for the cars. Seems to work just fine .
We have two cul-de-sacs off our main circle, and the parents put little orange cones across the entrances when the kids are playing in their local circle. Works quite well.

We also have a local playground just a short distance down the road for the cul-de-sac nearest us, but the kids would rather bike and play various games in the paved circle in front of their house, or so it appears.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
We have two cul-de-sacs off our main circle, and the parents put little orange cones across the entrances when the kids are playing in their local circle. Works quite well.

We also have a local playground just a short distance down the road for the cul-de-sac nearest us, but the kids would rather bike and play various games in the paved circle in front of their house, or so it appears.
We don't even have a cul-de-sac. The kids just play in the streets. Never had a kid get hit by a car in all of the neighborhoods we have lived in...We grew up playing in the streets too. There is just way more room to ride your bikes and toss a football in the street then there is on the sidewalk. Kids run out into the street even with sidewalks, they aren't any safer, people just think they are.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Quote:
We don't even have a cul-de-sac. The kids just play in the streets. Never had a kid get hit by a car in all of the neighborhoods we have lived in...We grew up playing in the streets too. There is just way more room to ride your bikes and toss a football in the street then there is on the sidewalk. Kids run out into the street even with sidewalks, they aren't any safer, people just think they are.
While I agree that your area is probably safe, I think you're absolutely wrong that people just "think" sidewalks are safer - statistically speaking, they probably ARE safer. If a child runs out on to the road, then they AREN'T using the sidewalk at all, so of course there's still that risk.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I was talking about this with my SIL today, who refused to consider any neighborhoods without sidewalks during her recent housing search; we decided that part of it (for the kids) is purely psychological. A sidewalk is a very visible boundary; the kids KNOW that they can't move beyond it. On the street there's not that physical boundary between where people walk and where cars drive, as its all paved the same. Around here, the kids come to a screeching halt when they reach the curb. The little kids know not to go into the street at all (and ask an adult or older kid to get, say, a ball that has rolled into the street) and the older kids know to look both ways and be careful. True, they could ignore that and still run into the street, but for little kids, at least, I think it makes it much easier.

I'll look into this later, but I think xandrex is right that there is probably evidence out there to support the idea that sidewalks are safer. Or, alternatively, do you (or anyone) have any reason to show otherwise? Now odds are that most people are going to be safe most of the time, but -- especially with children -- I'm with Glenfield, and just don't want to depend on the actions of other drivers. I guess I don't see any negatives (other than shoveling them), and a lot of positives.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:46 AM

37 posts, read 133,583 times
Can anyone tell how the Camden neighborhood is as far as crime,safety etc. Specifically, 3634 Newton Ave N. We are looking at a rental there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul