Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

Guys, this person is asking about HOUSE music. Club, DJ beats music. Not Triple Rock or Cabooze.

Check out uptown since living downtown tends to get you shot.

There's really nothing like South Street/Center City in MPLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Guys, this person is asking about HOUSE music. Club, DJ beats music. Not Triple Rock or Cabooze.

How many downtown residents in any of those nice buildings are getting shot? Can we quit the fear-mongering, please?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Looks like somebody screwed his tinfoil hat on too tight last night.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 AM

166 posts, read 376,193 times
I am curious as to how the house music scene is in minneapolis as well since i am a huge fan and love chicago's scene (I would not be expecting Chicago's scene in Minnea). Also where would you find listings for those "nice buildings" and lofts downtown you mention? I looked on rent.com to get an idea of how much it costs to live up there and I mostly see old complexes and hardly any modern stuff besides blue in uptown.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQpilot3 View Post
I am curious as to how the house music scene is in minneapolis as well since i am a huge fan and love chicago's scene (I would not be expecting Chicago's scene in Minnea). Also where would you find listings for those "nice buildings" and lofts downtown you mention? I looked on rent.com to get an idea of how much it costs to live up there and I mostly see old complexes and hardly any modern stuff besides blue in uptown.
I don't think you're going to get the same music vibe as Chicago up in Minneapolis. It's just different. That said, I'm sure you can find it if you look around. I believe places like City Pages might have listings for shows you enjoy.

There are a LOT of nice buildings downtown, especially in the Warehouse District and along the river. Many of these are condos, so they're typically for sale, rather than for rent, by the company that owns that. That said, there are usually a ton of listings for people looking to rent out their unit. I'm going to guess the best deals are going to be more in the Warehouse District (essentially west/northwest of Hennepin Avenue) as their riverfront units are I'm sure going to be more expensive (and I see an older demographic along there too, probably owing to the amount of money it costs).

Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 AM

62 posts, read 163,095 times
Might want to consider Northeast Minneapolis. Close to downtown and a bit cheaper than Uptown.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

Knke, I know what house music is.

*You*, apparently, do not know what Triple Rock is, though. Because you sound like you've never been here.

And who in their right mind would recommend Cabooze for anything, musical or not???

Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that residential rental vacancies are at something like an all-time low....like, less than 2% citywide or something.

So right now might not be your best time to be moving to Minneapolis and picky about the neighborhood, unfortunately.

re: your music question. I agree with the poster who told you 'different', but honestly, very, very good. Most of the local stuff coming out right now is either bar bands, sort of experimental indie stuff, or hip-hop...

Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 PM

166 posts, read 376,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Keep in mind that residential rental vacancies are at something like an all-time low....like, less than 2% citywide or something.

So right now might not be your best time to be moving to Minneapolis and picky about the neighborhood, unfortunately.

re: your music question. I agree with the poster who told you 'different', but honestly, very, very good. Most of the local stuff coming out right now is either bar bands, sort of experimental indie stuff, or hip-hop...
Thanks! I still have a little more experience building to do in my career locally before I would move from where I am so I am probably looking a year down the road but a good thing to know!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I still have a little more experience building to do in my career locally before I would move from where I am so I am probably looking a year down the road but a good thing to know!
I think that until the housing market really clears up, you're going to be seeing the low vacancy rates. So unless we somehow miraculously recover in this next year, you'll still be seeing the same issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul