Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 5,833 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with having a "gifted" preschooler entering kindergarten? My 4-year old has tested at the 1st grade level for reading and math and I'm not happy with the idea of his entering kindergarten next fall if there won't be an opportunity for him to learn at the level he needs. He wasn't eligible for early enrollment because he won't be 5 before Dec. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know what you've done and liked or not liked. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:43 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
I would find a play based kindergarten where the academic differences wouldn't matter so much and I would not do whole day. Recently I was talking to someone whose oldest son is in a special school for the gifted. Her youngest is in half day kindy. She was advised to go that route and worry about academic placement in first grade.

We did all day kindergarten because I felt they could challenge him. It didn't go well. I made the wrong school choice for him and it was a negative experience. I wish I could undo it. He was advanced enough that he stood out from his peers, more than I realized he would be. He also wasn't ready for that much real work. He would have been better off with a short learning day.

With that I would talk to the schools beforehand even if you do half day. If your child is reading I would make sure they have a plan, it's hard on a kid to be an adept reader and sit through letters all day. Same with math.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,833 times
Thanks Kebinminn, that helps. My son is currently in a montessori daycare, which does allow for a lot of independence. That might be good for kindergarten, too.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell0404 View Post
Thanks Kebinminn, that helps. My son is currently in a montessori daycare, which does allow for a lot of independence. That might be good for kindergarten, too.
You're welcome.

I would have loved Montessori for kindergarten and think that's a great option.

I also wanted to add that St. Paul schools has Capitol Hill magnet school starting in first grade for gifted kids. Of course so much depends on how your child learns. Some gifted kids do fine in a traditional school where they differentiate, others need something a little less conventional.

Challenging Academically Gifted and Talented Students in a Diverse School Community

Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
I'd put him in a regular school (whatever you would have chosen if you didn't consider him to be gifted) and then see how it works out. You have to remember that testing and grade-level indicators are a national average and the Twin Cities is generally above-average.

I used to be an elementary school librarian. In the school where I worked, I would have felt that a child was behind if they were only reading and scoring at their grade level--most kids were at least two years ahead. The "gifted" label is thrown around way too much lately. Not to say that your son isn't, but it's amazing how many people I know that have "gifted" children.

One of my children tests 5 grade-levels ahead. We have him in a private school where the teachers know how, and have the time, to provide extra challenges. We would have chosen the same school regardless of abilities. At this young age, I won't have him tested or start drilling him just because the capability exists. As a product of gifted education myself, I'll stick with "regular" school for my children unless they start to lose interest in learning.

In my opinion, elementary school is a time to get kids excited about learning and to give them the basic skills to do so. Of equal importance are how they learn to deal with other people and to be independent.

Again, I don't want to make it sound like your child isn't special--but unless, he's currently studying quantum physics, I'd let him be a normal kid.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
A few thoughts from a guy who had two gifted Kindergartners last year. 1) Careful with early enrollment. Many parents think since their child is reading at an advanced level that they're ready for Kindergarten, but at that age it's about emotional maturity & there's a huge difference between 4 year olds & 5-6 years olds. 2) Don't presume your child won't get the attention they deserve because they're "Gifted" or that they'll somehow be alone. There will be other kids just as smart as your kid or smarter in every Kindergarten class. In my kids' classes they were broken into groups by reading levels, with the kids in the higher reading levels reading more advanced material & getting the proper personalized attention. 3) Nearly every school has "enrichment" programs for advanced students including Kindergarten. i.e. Mine were in Soccer, Spanish Club & Science Club. 4) Start looking at Capital Hill Magnet school now. Your child will need to test in & you'll need to get on that now, in order to have a chance to be admitted for next year. Capital Hill Magnet is the best grade school in St Paul imo. Elementary Classrooms

Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I second the suggestion to check out Montessori. I was "advanced" and tested in G/T in my school, but unless your child is extremely advanced, I think Montessori will sufficiently meet his needs. Or, if Montessori is not an option (I am a MAJOR Montessori booster!) any school with a more progressive bent should work. Around here, that will probably be most schools. I'd tour your local neighborhood school option and speak with parents before you get too worried. Testing a couple of grades ahead in math or reading is pretty normal, and odds are that he'll fit right in with many of his peers.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:17 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
I would urge you to contact the admissions office at Minnehaha Academy and arrange a discussion and a tour. MA has many advantages for your child, including exceptional academics and learning that is tailored to your child's specifics needs, strengths, and abilities. The Lower School campus at 42 nd St. and West River Parkway is also very convenient to St. Paul. You'll also find the all the kids, including kindergartners, are fully integrated into school life. For example, I was pleasantly surprised when my kindergartner was allowed to enter the school science fair. Should you choose MA or a school like it, you'll never have to look back and wonder what your child might have accomplished had you given him or her the opportunity to do their absolute best.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
A few thoughts from a guy who had two gifted Kindergartners last year. 1) Careful with early enrollment. Many parents think since their child is reading at an advanced level that they're ready for Kindergarten, but at that age it's about emotional maturity & there's a huge difference between 4 year olds & 5-6 years olds.
I was reading this board for other reasons, but just wanted to chip in my 2 cents' worth. I agree with the above comments completely. For one thing, research I've read shows that early readers are often reading at the same grade level as their peers by 5th or 6th grade. Their early development doesn't always = innate intelligence.

My son is a senior in college now, and was a "gifted" (whatever that means) child, who skipped Algebra I completely and went right into Geometry in 7th grade, aced 2 years of AP calculus starting in 10th grade and then AP stats and AP physics his senior year. (However, he couldn't spell his way out of a paper bag until he was about 10 - there's that developmental thing again.) His preschool teachers really tried to get us to put him in kindergarten early, but his dad and I refused. Although he was seemingly emotionally mature, we felt if nothing else, the age difference might be an impediment in middle school and high school, especially when it came to his social life. We are glad we chose that route. He was always very sociable and had great friends, and I think being the same age helped mitigate any potential "nerdiness" he had. I think the worst thing you can do with bright kids is push them - most parents do it for their own ego gratification. We were very hands-off with our son as far as school went, and his natural curiosity and love of learning got him where he is today - with two music and academic scholarships paying his way through college.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
You will find, around here anyway, that most "average" students test at least 2 or 3 grades ahead. Testing at grade level is really being "behind" for most kids. I wouldn't be too concerned about kindergarten at most schools here. There will be plenty for him to do and learn. As adults we it all seems easy but even just learning to raise your hand to ask a question or learning to sit still while the teacher is explaining things is equally important as learning to read in kindergarten. Our oldest, our child that NEVER read a book, tested at a college reading level when he was in 4th grade...while he is smart, he isn't gifted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul