Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM

8 posts, read 110,931 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a transplant here in Central Illinois, originally from the West Coast. I have been looking into moving to Minneapolis for quite some time. I am pretty unhappy here in IL, mainly because of the lack of any recreation activities and the nature of the people in general (pretty close-minded). I was considering a move back West, but took a trip up to the Twin Cities and really loved them. They kind of reminded me of most Canadian cities, i.e. very clean, modern, with a great progressive feel and alot of scenic beauty right in the city.

How is the job market in the area for attorneys? Also, I was told that the suburbs on the Wisconsin side are really booming and have alot of opportunities. Can anyone confirm this? Would it be an impossible commute, with traffic, from Minneapolis to work in these suburbs in Wisconsin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably be taking a test-run up there for some interviews and I hope that you all can offer me some advice.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,546 times
Default Attorney seeking refuge in Minnesota...

I think the job market here for attorneys is pretty good. A fair number of my clients are attorneys and they are always looking for good help.

The east side of the cities is beautiful. Living across the river in Wisconsin is cheaper and your drive to Minneapolis would be between 45-60 minutes. Have you looked in the southern suburbs? Quick drives, light traffic (relatively speaking), and lots of law firms.

See my private post for further detail on that.

Cheers!

Robert

Old 11-26-2006, 10:26 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 802,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EframInIllinois View Post
Also, I was told that the suburbs on the Wisconsin side are really booming and have alot of opportunities. Can anyone confirm this? Would it be an impossible commute, with traffic, from Minneapolis to work in these suburbs in Wisconsin?
It would be a long commute from western Wisconsin to Minneapolis (probably 45 minutes WITHOUT rush hour traffic. If you live in western Wisconsin, you probably don't want to work farther west than St. Paul or you'll have a pretty long commute.

Last edited by HKB; 11-26-2006 at 10:34 PM..

Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 AM

153 posts, read 711,258 times
Yeah I have to agree with the others here, a commute from Wisconsin would be tough.

One thing you need to know about the Twin Cities is it is physically HUGE. It really is just sprawl. It takes a good hour (probably a bit more) to drive across the metro without traffic. (End burb to end burb)

Thus I would get an apartment for a few months while you get a job. Once you've got that job move to a place you consider to be within your target range of driving.

As for the job market out here - it's pretty good. The one nice thing about the Twin Cities area is that it is a very diverse market. Which is uncommon for a metro this size. Since it isn't as dependant on a single market the booms and busts don't hit quite as bad here.

As for areas to look, pretty much everywhere I will say the west side of town is pretty dug in. The East side is growing, as is the south side. Bloomington (third largest city in the metro) is probably the fastest growing (from what i've seen).

Good Luck with your search!

Old 12-06-2006, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,681 times
Thumbs down Twin Cities is So Overated -Wake Up

I have been living here for the last 13 years, after coming from a small town. Went to school in Duluth at UMD, so I met a lot of native Twin Citites up there. Its the reason why I didn't move here until I needed a job (the only reason I'm here). Would probably move to North Carolina if I hadn't bought a house. I find the Twin cities so overrated , especdially by the people themselves (what else could you expect?). Not slamming everyone, becasue i've met a lot of neet people. I have also noticed transplants to be much nicer , that is if they dont become "Twin Citified." What do I mean by that?. After living and working here (god help me, the workplaces), as well as getting my first taste of "TC people" in college, I have found the following:
1) The air of self importance and arrogance is so incredible from people here, its amazing. I have never met so many snobs and spoiled people as when I moved here. Most TC people grew up with silver spoons in their mouth so never developed character, loyalty, kindness, compassion etc . By many of my experiences the MO seems to be: what's the next best thing, can't handle ANY inconvenience, and get out of my way (witness the traffic rudeness and road rage around here).
2) The God of Money - many of the TC people I know live for their jobs and MONEY. The greatest thing for many is their stupid job and retirement account. Its amazing how many places don't take checks because TC people are so overextended trying to impress everyone by buying everything, which leads to point 3.
3) Phonyness - so many TC people are abject phonies, say one thing to your face and act in anothre behind your back, or are total conformists so they "fit in and look good."
4) Materialistic - TC people always have to keep up with the Jones, even if it means racking the credit cards to oblivion. Always have to upgrade houses, stuff, etc.
5) Workplace Cutthroat- I have worked in other cities but have never seen so much cutthroat politics as in the TC workplace.

..and the great no 6:
6) I have never seen a city with such unfriendly people , who take themselves so seriously and have little senses of humor. So many in the TC can't laugh at themselves ( of course when you're so important how can you right?). Say hi or try and strike up a conversation to someone and see what you get back most (not all of the time). Kind of reminds me of my friend's story of going to the metrodome with his visiting parents of S Carolina and them trying to strike up a conversation with people next to them. The people up and shifted so there were 6 seats between. Whay else would the TC ranks as 3rd worst city for dating in many recent on line magazine polls ( dont blame it on winter either).

So say I'm negative, but hey, when you have lived in other places, you have a better objective read on a society's environment. So TC people, don't think your the greatest. Your not. Someone has to tell you so. I've lived in Chicago. Much friendlier people.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:18 PM

58 posts, read 230,747 times
Yes, Minneapolis is not the place for young people. Absolutely right. It's only ahead of Kansas City when it comes to dating. So, unfortunately, not the best place for a young person to move to. That's why big corporations try to keep salaries competitive, it's because no one from the east coast wants to move here, lol.

When it seem too good to be true, it probably is true. It's a good place to live if you are 40+ and MARRIED.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:19 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Minneapolis may not be the greatest place for a twenty year old, but we are hardly the most materialistic, rude and cutthroat people. That post is ruder to me than anyone I have personally known here.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:54 PM

41 posts, read 177,097 times
garva, your post is fascinating to me, if only because it is so diametrically different from my own experience.

I think it's all a matter of perspective and past experience. You say you grew up in a small town, so it makes sense that from your perspective it appears people here are rude and fast-paced.

Believe me when I say it's a lot worse in bigger cities. Peace.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:12 AM

987 posts, read 3,818,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Minneapolis may not be the greatest place for a twenty year old, but we are hardly the most materialistic, rude and cutthroat people. That post is ruder to me than anyone I have personally known here.
You think people who live here and bash the place might be the problem?

Old 09-07-2007, 06:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Your life is what you make of it. If you don't like it here, move. I have not experienced anything like some of these pretty negative posters expressed except for a few transplants that only see the bad in things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul