Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 AM

37 posts, read 133,583 times

Advertisements

Need some info on areas that have affordable houses for rent($700-$1000 monthly). This will be just for starters as our budget will increase. We like the suburbs and would prefer to be in an area like that. But also want to be within a 30 mile commute to the Twin cities as my husband will be working as a paramedic after he finishes his schooling. For starters he will be looking for work in a hospital or doctor's office as an MA.
We have looked into many areas and really like Apple Valley,Lakeville and some of the surrounding areas. We have also considered STP. We are on a budget but don't want to live in the ghetto so to speak. Our criteria is for a 3/2 single family home. Can't do apartments or townhomes because we have pets...and we really don't like the apartment lifestyle. As far as children...we have 4 boys, ages 17 to 21. So schools are not an issue. We just want a nice friendly, family neighborhood. Of course low crime is something of a concern.
So if anybody has any info and suggestions that would be very helpful.We are planning a move the first week of May 2011, so I am really pressed for finding an affordable place to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:15 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Your rent budget for what you want is really not going to be possible really anywhere in the metro-not for a 3 bedroom/2 bath house. For the most part anywhere in the metro will work for what you want with the exception of PARTS of Minneapolis, St. Paul and a few suburbs (the Brooklyn's, parts of Maplewood, parts of South St. Paul).

Is there anyway to increase your budget to $1500 or more??

Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 PM

298 posts, read 750,887 times
Hi Katholland:

I have lived in Florida previously, in fact much of my family still resides in the Sunshine State. Unless you're moving from Palm Beach, Broward or Miami-Dade counties, comparable housing is more expensive in the Twin Cities. The housing bubble is deflating slower here than in Fla., so you will need to plan on paying more for housing especially if you are moving from central florida or north Florida as $700-$1,000 a month will get you a 1-bedroom apartment in Minneapolis - St. Paul.

If $1,000 is your price ceiling, you may want to originally sign a 6 or 12 month lease when your family first arrives as you settle into your careers here, better familiarize yourself with the area and decide where you would like to live.

Will your husband be finishing school in FL prior to relocating north, or will he finish his education in Minnesota? If he is transferring credits from FL to MN, has he checked with the Twin Cities school he will attend about which credits will transfer or not? Location of his school and possible locations for employment should factor on where you move because a 30-mile commute cannot be made in 30-minute up here especially when snow is falling.

The area's you've been looking at: Apple Valley , Lakeville , Burnsville , Eagan , Savage are nice. Many parts of inner-city St. Paul are nice as well.

Will your sons be attending post-secondary colleges or technical colleges here in the Twin Cities? Thhat may factor in your decision on where in the metro area to settle as well.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
Just for reference sake - I live in North Minneapolis, which (too) many people consider "ghetto". Two or three doors up the road from me, a 3 bedroom apartment in a pretty nice old Arts & Crafts duplex was going for about $940/month yesterday - but it's not listed today. I believe your budget plan will not work if you're really hoping for a suburban living situation.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Thank you for the replies. I greatly appreciate it. In reply to mn55110...my husband plans to recert as a paramedic in Minnesota. He was a paramedic here in Fl for 10 yrs, but due to an injury from a drunk driver a few yrs ago, he was forced to resign as a medic in his county. He is chomping at the bit to get his career back, but can't do it here in FL...simply because Fl is dual/cross-trained fireman/paramedic...they are not individual of each other. He has no desire to cross train as a fireman, his passion is strictly emergency medicine.
As far as our budget...$1000 monthly is about as high as we can go right now. If we have to settle for a 2/1 or 2/2 for starters we will.
We prefer not to live right in the cities or the metro area. We are really looking for outside the cities,in the burbs. just trying to find an affordable area for now...whether it be to the north, south,east or west of the twin cities. We just want to get out of Fl. We really like MN from all that we have found out.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
You will generally be able to get more for your money going North rather than South, East or West. Easier commute too. If you extend your range out to 40 miles your options will increase dramatically to find what you need for $1000. Check into Isanti, Anoka, Washington and Chisago Counties for Home Rentals. Cities to check would be St Francis, East Bethel, Isanti, Wyoming, Stacy, Chisgao City, etc. The farthest of these cities (Isanti) is 41 miles from downtown Minneapolis and the Hennepin County Medical Center. Wyoming has the largest hospital in that neck of the woods.

Isanti, MN Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent - HotPads

Old 02-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Thank you Ghengis. These towns you listed in your post..how much do you know of them..like are we going to be right in the middle of crack town or a not so desireable neighborhood? Like the bad part of town. What type of towns are these? I'd really like to find a nice little tree lined street neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholland View Post
Thank you Ghengis. These towns you listed in your post..how much do you know of them..like are we going to be right in the middle of crack town or a not so desireable neighborhood? Like the bad part of town. What type of towns are these? I'd really like to find a nice little tree lined street neighborhood.
I live near (further north) and visit them often, not crack-towns in probably the manner you are thinking. However like large or small towns anywhere, meth use goes on and I'm sure these areas have felt it's presence. I recall that Isanti seems to have had a couple of busts but I wouldn't call it an epedemic. Pine County (a little further North on I35) probably has more than it's share of meth problems. You'd probably be able to get a better idea googling meth arrest _ _ _ _ _ and fill in your town.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Just for reference sake - I live in North Minneapolis, which (too) many people consider "ghetto". Two or three doors up the road from me, a 3 bedroom apartment in a pretty nice old Arts & Crafts duplex was going for about $940/month yesterday - but it's not listed today. I believe your budget plan will not work if you're really hoping for a suburban living situation.
Not sure where audadvnc lives but a good 50% or more of North Minneapolis isn't ghetto at all and neighborhoods like "Victory" can be a real "steal" if you look into them. I think that's what he's saying.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
Thanks for the clarification MCC. I like my neighborhood, particularly all the old houses, many of which are still in good shape as they've been owner occupied since they were built. Houses are cheap here, and looking for new owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul