Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times

Advertisements

Here's one a little different than most vacation threads seen here: I'm an MSP resident who is looking for a winter/early spring vacation OUTSIDE of MN.

Background:
For the first time since getting married several years ago, my wife and I both have real vacation time and reasonable enough salaries to do a little something with it. We'd be looking at one week plus or minus a couple days at the end of February or the end of April, likely.

Question:
Where should we go?

Preferences/Restrictions:
Infant friendly (we'll have an ~1yo with us)
Reasonably priced travel and entertainment (no $200/seat broadways shows this time around )
<1 day to get there, either driving or flying

We are pretty laid back people and renting a cabin and going hiking, exploring fun museums, and taking in free/cheap concerts and shows (where a 1yo isn't frowned on) makes for a good time off for us.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 02:01 PM

As I've starting thinking about it, I've realized that I'm not sure what the rest of the country is like during the winter months.

A few places I've thought could be fun:
Blueridge Parkway area (might be too much off season?)
Flagstaff, AZ or similar
Austin or San Antonio, TX

Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Weather at the end of Feb is going to be iffy unless you go deep into Florida, maybe Phoenix area will be ok too. End of April and you can expect summer like temps in Southern CA, most of the deep south, Florida, etc. give or take a bad weather pattern.

Since AZ is on your short list, great idea given what you have posted you like to do. Phoenix, Sedona and up into the Grand Canyon area would be a nice family vacation and baby friendly. Depending on your hotel budget, the JW Marriott Desert Ridge is a place we have stayed and LOVED it. They have a wonderful pool area with a huge lazy river that would be nice for your family. Hiking in Sedona area is beautiful. The Grand Canyon is WOW. It would be a good time to go to the Grand Canyon as it won't be packed with people.

My other suggestion would be San Diego. With the zoo, the ocean and various museums, etc. there, another great family spot and baby friendly.

Washington DC would also be great. The museums are all kid friendly and no one would give you a second look with a 1 year old. Lots of walking and LOTS to see there. Weather in the spring is like what we have, might be 80 might have 2 feet of snow.

Any trip to any of the National Parks would be good, especially later April. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Black Hills, Yosimite, Redwoods...or hit up a few of them if time allows-but that is a lot of driving with a one year old.

Banff in Alberta Canada is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Lots of hiking, scenery, etc.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Weather at the end of Feb is going to be iffy unless you go deep into Florida, maybe Phoenix area will be ok too. End of April and you can expect summer like temps in Southern CA, most of the deep south, Florida, etc. give or take a bad weather pattern.

Since AZ is on your short list, great idea given what you have posted you like to do. Phoenix, Sedona and up into the Grand Canyon area would be a nice family vacation and baby friendly. Depending on your hotel budget, the JW Marriott Desert Ridge is a place we have stayed and LOVED it. They have a wonderful pool area with a huge lazy river that would be nice for your family. Hiking in Sedona area is beautiful. The Grand Canyon is WOW. It would be a good time to go to the Grand Canyon as it won't be packed with people.

My other suggestion would be San Diego. With the zoo, the ocean and various museums, etc. there, another great family spot and baby friendly.

Washington DC would also be great. The museums are all kid friendly and no one would give you a second look with a 1 year old. Lots of walking and LOTS to see there. Weather in the spring is like what we have, might be 80 might have 2 feet of snow.

Any trip to any of the National Parks would be good, especially later April. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Black Hills, Yosimite, Redwoods...or hit up a few of them if time allows-but that is a lot of driving with a one year old.

Banff in Alberta Canada is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Lots of hiking, scenery, etc.
Great suggestions, thanks! We just did DC last fall and loved it (which reminds me that I lied when I said this was our first real vacation...how could I forget the DC trip )

You pretty much hit the next 3 places I would have listed if I had listed an extended "short list". I've been in San Diego for work a couple times and enjoyed it...great weather even in January. Banff would be awesome, would love to do that, although I wasn't sure if it there was hiking up there in early spring (as opposed to skiing, which wouldn't be an option with the kiddo). Also wasn't sure if you could get into the Banff area without spending a fortune.

And I've always wanted to spend a little time in northern CA as well...Redwoods, etc!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Oh man -- you are in a great position to get some amazing deals on vacations right now! Mexico is still a bargain I believe because of all the negative press surrounding the beheadings and stuff. Cancun, for instance, is a relatively safe town on the Gulf.

Within the U.S. and with an infant I'd suggest something like Niagra Falls or something scenic that you both can enjoy that won't irritate the little one(s) and also won't be someplace that your children will complain to you later that you went on this trip before they could remember anything (like Disney World).

Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Oh man -- you are in a great position to get some amazing deals on vacations right now! Mexico is still a bargain I believe because of all the negative press surrounding the beheadings and stuff. Cancun, for instance, is a relatively safe town on the Gulf.

Within the U.S. and with an infant I'd suggest something like Niagra Falls or something scenic that you both can enjoy that won't irritate the little one(s) and also won't be someplace that your children will complain to you later that you went on this trip before they could remember anything (like Disney World).
I would hesitate to take a 1 year old to Mexico but that's me. We have been there a few times and DH ALWAYS gets sick there. I just wouldn't trust it for a 1 year old.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:51 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Maybe you're right, but the beach and ocean sort of keep the child busy and you can still do what you want to do (be in the sun/ocean) while watching your kid. If your "DH" gets sick, DO NOT drink the water or eat the ice! I'm sure you know this, but it's so easy to slip up by accident. It happened to me just once and, OMG, was I sick!!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:14 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Aren't the roads going to be closed (due to snow cover) in any northern/mountain park in late April? I know I've been places that are not as cold as say Yellowstone or Grand Tetons that had roads closed due to snow in July.

If you want parks in April, I'd suggest looking in Utah (Arches, Zion, Canyonlands, etc.).

Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Maybe you're right, but the beach and ocean sort of keep the child busy and you can still do what you want to do (be in the sun/ocean) while watching your kid. If your "DH" gets sick, DO NOT drink the water or eat the ice! I'm sure you know this, but it's so easy to slip up by accident. It happened to me just once and, OMG, was I sick!!
It wasn't the water, we only drank bottled water when we were there, it was the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
Aren't the roads going to be closed (due to snow cover) in any northern/mountain park in late April? I know I've been places that are not as cold as say Yellowstone or Grand Tetons that had roads closed due to snow in July.

If you want parks in April, I'd suggest looking in Utah (Arches, Zion, Canyonlands, etc.).
I guess I don't know.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Oh, Utah would be an interesting idea, too. My wife interviewed for a job once out there (SLC) and said it was beautiful.

Questions about road conditions over mountain passes are exactly why I'm a little unsure of where is good to go that time of year...I'm such a flat-lander
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul