Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:39 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
What I am saying is on average, every Twin City areas puts more effort on achieving results in sports than academics. They call that being "balanced". Of course academics is very important to parents. But I can say with certainty that parents spend $3K a year on hockey won't always spend $1K on a full service ACT prep class at Kaplan. It doesn't matter if it is Maple Grove, Andover, or Apple Valley.

But if you want to make that team in Wayzata, expect to put in even more effort (time and money) than say in Blaine. Motivated parents that end up in wealthier communities want Johnny to do well in something as visual as sports. Honest motivated parents will admit they tie their own self esteem to how well their Kid do. People will ask you at work "what team is she on". They will not ask "what is her class rank or GPA". That question is a taboo. So sports are more competitive and "important" than academics for the stated reasons EVERYWHERE. Just look at the pay for a professor versus a pro athlete. Society has spoken.

That sports 1st culture isn't the same in every school. A while back my Kid took 4th place at State History Day (every student has to participate). The stage was full of private school students. That's their culture and they do it VERY well. Luckily, my Kid had a great history teacher and the high school had three other students in the finals. That is incredibly rare and speaks volumes for his teacher. Come to think of it, I don't think one name was from Wayzata because I was very interested in the high schools but I could be wrong. That year I do remember zero others were finalists from District 11 (other that those three). They have several thousand students. But I can promise you that MN Made, Goalie Clinics, and dozens of other camps are full of district 11 kids. I've been to my unfair share of camps and they are MUCH FULLER of Edina, Wayzata, EP, and other LARGE communities. That's because it is more competitive. A whole lot more than smaller districts. Cut, paste, repeat for softball, volleyball, etc.
That is because most of the better high schools offer a "full service" ACT/SAT classes for free or very low cost (our district charges $150). Why would you pay $1000 for a better class? I can tell you that while athletics are important, academics are stressed MUCH more for MOST kids in school. As far as I know we don't participate in "World History Day", maybe we do. I do know our schools participate in the National Science Olympiads (Chemistry, Physics, etc.) and almost always place in the top 10. We have some of the top math students in our high school placing in the top 1% nationally in the national math test (one freshman last year had the second highest score in the state on the SENIOR test). Academics are king at most schools--unless you are attending a school with a 48% graduation rate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsinnott24 View Post
How do you know Glenfield? Do you have kids there? I'm sure there are plenty of nice kids. But, I'm not as worried about that as I am the fact that my kids have far less chance playing sports than at other schools and the fact that 6 year olds are coming home stressed out over the challenging curriculum. (stated by someone who moved to S. Maple Grove to attend Wayzata, but will probably be pulling their child out)
Because I lived in Plymouth for a number of years. I have a number of friends who currently have and have had kids in the Wayzata schools. I have a couple of friends who have taught in that school district. No one has ever had a bad thing to say about their schools. That's how I know.

Move where you want. But make it where you want, not where a bunch of strangers on the Internet tell you, for crying out loud.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
We agree. GPA, class rank and ACT scores trump "well rounded". And GPA and class rank are more important than your ACT score (it's only one test) so long as it isn't a 22.

To get into the upper tier universities, you need the entire package. 3.4 isn't good enough these days and a 28 ACT is a little shy of what they want.

Don't assume a 3.4 GPA will get you into some of the programs at the U of MN. Even the Carlson School of Management accepts an average ACT score of 29.5 (that's means you are in the top 8%). In order to get an academic scholarship at the U of MN, you need a GPA of 3.8 and an ACT of a 27 and that's not for sure. Those stats will require you to negotiate a better package. I got my daughters bumped up to a presidential scholarship at UMD. If you won't ask you won't get it. Timing is everything.

But the U of MN isn't so concerned about "well rounded". After all, they brag that there are no essays to fill out. Hence, they focus on the stats.
I think you read my post wrong. I'm WELL into my degree at the University of Minnesota (can't believe I actually graduate this spring...yikes!). I couldn't get myself into EVERY program, but I didn't even try to. And so much of the grades things for places like Carlson are superficial. My friend got in her freshman year thanks to a high GPA and ACT scores. But it helped that she went to a little country school where she was by far the smartest student (valedictorian), but is fairly clueless about a lot of things. If I had gone to that school, I would have easily had a GPA of 3.9 judging from what they seemed to learn. I, instead, got a semester of classes completed with the College in the Schools program (similar to AP, but better, IMO), which lowered my GPA a bit, but has helped me graduate on time.

As for money, a lot of it is how you write your essays. My friend just got a huge scholarship this year. It wasn't because of her ACT score back in the day (28) or GPA. It wasn't even really her accomplishments, though no doubt they also made her look like a great student. It's something I've seen over and over again...if someone in your family gets cancer, you can successfully use it as an essay topic.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM

223 posts, read 524,162 times
Ok, let me get all of this straight. The first post was about Kindercare, positives & negatives. Then it morphed into a debate regarding Wayzata schools which the OP was first intending to send his/her kids to. Then after several negative comments, the OP changes his/her mind. Then someone who is an advocate of Wayzata schools posts positive reviews and the OP shoots them down.

I agree with Glenfield, move where you want. I understand wanting what's best for your children as I have three of my own but sometimes you do more harm than good over thinking things. Kids pick up on that kind of stress. You mentioned in your other thread "rich burbs" that you want your kids to be around down to earth kids with morals. IMO, if YOUR children are down to earth with morals, then it shouldn't be an issue on how other kids act. You will never be able to control that no matter where you live. Best of luck with your move.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeb4 View Post
Ok, let me get all of this straight. The first post was about Kindercare, positives & negatives. Then it morphed into a debate regarding Wayzata schools which the OP was first intending to send his/her kids to. Then after several negative comments, the OP changes his/her mind. Then someone who is an advocate of Wayzata schools posts positive reviews and the OP shoots them down.

I agree with Glenfield, move where you want. I understand wanting what's best for your children as I have three of my own but sometimes you do more harm than good over thinking things. Kids pick up on that kind of stress. You mentioned in your other thread "rich burbs" that you want your kids to be around down to earth kids with morals. IMO, if YOUR children are down to earth with morals, then it shouldn't be an issue on how other kids act. You will never be able to control that no matter where you live. Best of luck with your move.
QFT

Also, the biggest snobs when it comes to schools usually aren't the kids. It's the parents who are freaking out that Johnny isn't doing this or that activity or that he doesn't drive as nice of a car or getting a high enough GPA. Kids are kids no matter where you go. It's not so much the schools, but their parents, that can ruin them.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:44 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
For what it's worth, I competed nationally in a (non-school) sport, and my parents never paid a single cent for an ACT/SAT prep class. For one thing, test prep is NOT academics. Tests are not about learning; they're about, well, testing. (Didn't need it, either; got good enough scores to net me some unsolicited full-ride scholarship offers) My old high school did, and still does, offer free test prep classes for those who want them, which I believe is standard at most area schools.

Being involved in sports does not preclude one from also being a top scholar. And while there may or may not be good reasons for the OP to live or not live in the Wayzata School District area, fears of getting an inadequate education should not be one of them. Obviously many, many students graduate from Wayzata every year prepared to go on to some of the nation's best colleges and universities, so obviously something is working right. (along with plenty of other schools in this area)

I do get MN-Born-n-Raised's concerns, though; low academic expectations do seem to be an issue among some parents in some local schools, although obviously it's ultimately the family who plays the greatest role. There was a book about Prior Lake's schools published about ten years ago that did leave me with the impression that there were plenty of parents out there who have pretty low expectations for their kids. I don't know that Wayzata fits into that category, although of course with so many kids I'm sure some families do. Huge school, huge range of experiences.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 PM

49 posts, read 109,133 times
Wow, I just wanted some advice on the school. So what if I've had different thoughts throughout the post. Here's the bottom line for me.
Positives - great education, great sports teams, nice area

Negatives - challenging curriculum, possibly not making the team, snotty kids/parents

Kids will be kids, but they learn from there parents. Moving to that area and attending that school also involves interacting with parents. I'm not even sure what to say anymore. Some how my questions, opinions and thoughts are wrong. Maybe it's too much of a question for a forum. Maybe I'm sounding a certain way which I'm not trying to come off as. I just wanted to know about the school to be able to make an informed decision.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
So your conclusion is that " the question" (and what WAS the question?) was " too much" for us. Of course, deciding that all the parents and kids in an entire school district are "snotty" based on a couple of comments on an Internet board and then getting all, well snotty is good word, with us for begging to differ, that's normal? Man, I guess things are crazier than I thought up there in Duluth.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
How would a challenging curriculum be a negative? Wouldn't LACK of challenging curriculum (assuming you're talking the high school, not Kindercare) be the negative? The fact that Wayzata is so big means that it can offer the whole range of academic options, including lots of advanced courses; that's a major plus in my book!

To the OP, I don't think people were in any way attacking you or questioning your questions, just having a debate!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 PM

A forum is a place is discussion where people can talk about topics and agree or disagree. All we want is for you to find the best place possible. And we don't want to steer you away from a potentially nice place because some people see it as snooty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul