Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM

46 posts, read 125,190 times

Advertisements

I work in downtown St. Paul and my spouse just started a job in Eden Prairie. We currently live in NE Mpls, but would like to move somewhere that would be a closer commute to Eden Prairie and St. Paul, and has good schools. We would like the commute for both of us to be no more than 35 minutes each way in good weather. (We both work 8-4:30.) Considering that highways 62 and 494 are very bad during rush hour, the only place I can think of that would work for us would be Southwest Minneapolis. Does anyone have any other recommendations based on your experience commuting? Please keep in mind my requirements for travel time (less than 35 minutes). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 04:54 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,097,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm2010 View Post
I work in downtown St. Paul and my spouse just started a job in Eden Prairie. We currently live in NE Mpls, but would like to move somewhere that would be a closer commute to Eden Prairie and St. Paul, and has good schools. We would like the commute for both of us to be no more than 35 minutes each way in good weather. (We both work 8-4:30.) Considering that highways 62 and 494 are very bad during rush hour, the only place I can think of that would work for us would be Southwest Minneapolis. Does anyone have any other recommendations based on your experience commuting? Please keep in mind my requirements for travel time (less than 35 minutes). Thanks!
Eagan.

Even with back-ups you can get to EP and St. Paul easily within 35 minutes from Eagan. Heck, I can get to EP from Rosemount, even with backups in 35 minutes as well as St. Paul in under 30. Yes, EP is more of a challenge because of what happens around 494/35W but there are options to avoid that (American Blvd, for example). I find that 62 is not all that bad going west, especially if you go over the Mendota Bridge and don't have to get on at Cedar.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,393,833 times
Make that 2 for Eagan!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,661,234 times
It probably depends on where you are going in St Paul.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Eagan.

Even with back-ups you can get to EP and St. Paul easily within 35 minutes from Eagan. Heck, I can get to EP from Rosemount, even with backups in 35 minutes as well as St. Paul in under 30. Yes, EP is more of a challenge because of what happens around 494/35W but there are options to avoid that (American Blvd, for example). I find that 62 is not all that bad going west, especially if you go over the Mendota Bridge and don't have to get on at Cedar.

Where is American Blvd? Do you ever take Hwy 13 and 169 to EP? Does Eagan have airport noise in some neighborhoods? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
It probably depends on where you are going in St Paul.
I work in downtown St Paul, so getting onto 62 south or 35E south after work is easy. Or I've heard Shepard Rd is good too.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:24 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,636,587 times
Agree with Southwest Minneapolis. We have many neighbors with similar commutes; it seems to be a location that appeals to many people as a good compromise. It depends on what you're looking for, though; I suppose Eagan could work, too, but I think most people who love southwest Minneapolis would be absolutely miserable in Eagan, and presumably vice-versa.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Agree with Southwest Minneapolis. We have many neighbors with similar commutes; it seems to be a location that appeals to many people as a good compromise. It depends on what you're looking for, though; I suppose Eagan could work, too, but I think most people who love southwest Minneapolis would be absolutely miserable in Eagan, and presumably vice-versa.

After living in Mpls for over 10 years, I'm afraid I wouldn't like Eagan or most suburbs. I know I could find a great house and schools there, but I think I'd be bored.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,661,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm2010 View Post
After living in Mpls for over 10 years, I'm afraid I wouldn't like Eagan or most suburbs. I know I could find a great house and schools there, but I think I'd be bored.
I was wondering about that when I saw you were in NE Mpls. I'm in Kingfield, so we're close to 35W and 62. My next door neighbor commutes to EP and my neighbor behind me works for the state in St. Paul, so I am sure that both commutes are very workable. If you like the city life, then I think SW Mpls is the place for you.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,288,264 times
If the Eden Prairie job is normal office hours I don't recommend commuting from Eagan using Hwy 62. I'm commuting from St. Paul over that way in the morning and the commute is literally driving me insane. It's really slow going westbound on Crosstown in the morning and even slower going eastbound in the afternoon....awful awful AWFUL commute.

I'm not sure where in St. Paul you're commuting but for the sake of the Eden Prairie commute I'd probably look somewhere closer to over there, like Edina or Southwest Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul