Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM

21 posts, read 33,830 times

Advertisements

After months of looking for a new job, I landed one I like in St. Paul. Now the daunting task of finding a place to live. I'm moving from Texas in the next few weeks. More about me:

Single male, no kids
Successful, professional, white collar (but down to earth!)
Like night life, but not a partier anymore. I could swing living in the thick of things or even a little out of the way, as long as my apartment is relatively quiet when I get home after a long day.
Looking for rent in the range of anywhere from $1300-$2300/a month
I'd want an apartment with garage parking

So, where would a nice place to live be for me? I want something nice and representative of a 34 year old guy with a good paying job and his act together : ). Not a building that has a bunch of loud, partying college kids (no offense, just beyond that).

Any thoughts on specific buildings/complexes that meet my criteria? The garage parking is super important! I could go with an apartment in either St Paul or Minneapolis.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Rocket_pilot; 11-01-2011 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 AM

332 posts, read 822,171 times
this looks nice!
Large 2bed/2bath - Free Parking - Avail NOW!! (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/apa/2668053703.html - broken link)

since you will be working in St. Paul are you leaning toward living in St. Paul?

Grand Avenue is nice. Highland park has more a neighborhood feel and great trails along the river. Downtown has some nice apartments and lofts.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 AM

174 posts, read 470,368 times
Cathedral Hill/Ramsey Hill in St Paul sounds like a really good fit for you. It's mostly old victorian houses split into duplexes. It's very quiet but only steps away from the cities best bars and restaurants and walkable to downtown. For instance, I rent a duplex (with garage parking) for $1050/mo. The other tenant is also a professional. It's a quiet neighborhood but still close to everything,

Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM

21 posts, read 33,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
this looks nice!
Large 2bed/2bath - Free Parking - Avail NOW!! (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/apa/2668053703.html - broken link)

since you will be working in St. Paul are you leaning toward living in St. Paul?

Grand Avenue is nice. Highland park has more a neighborhood feel and great trails along the river. Downtown has some nice apartments and lofts.
I guess I could go either way. I'm a single guy, so I don't want to be so far away from the single scene/action that it hurts my chances of finding some nice ladies. But I do enjoy a nice, quiet home to come chill out at in the evenings. My job is pretty fast paced and involves travel, so home is a little piece of Zen for me.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 PM

258 posts, read 648,022 times
I think somewhere by Grand Avenue in St. Paul would be great.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
If you're budget goes all the way up to $2300 a month, you're definitely going to be able to find some amazing places. I too echo the comments about Grand Ave. It's supposed to be bit more laid back than some of Minneapolis' busy neighborhoods, but has lots to do. I haven't spent much time on it, but I don't think I know anyone who hates it!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 AM

174 posts, read 470,368 times
Google map some of the establishments on Grand Ave and near the intersection of Selby/Dale. Personally, I prefer Selby/Dale and Ramsey/Cathedral hill because it's less of the college or right out of college crowd and more of the young professional/early 30s crowd.

Not to say that all of Grand Ave is like that, but portions definitely are. The neighborhood I am suggesting is still a 4-5 block walk from everything on Grand ave if thats more your scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul