Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Say what you want about crappy products on the field, but the Chiefs have been irrelevant for forever and they still manage to put 70,000 into a stadium. Make a great atmopshere and people will come. That's what happened with the Wild at the X and that's how the Twins still brought in over 3,000,000 fans last year with a crap team.
It certainly says something about the Chiefs and their inability to improve their team for the fans, then. I'm simply pointing out that fans have the right to have waning support for a team when the team doesn't perform up to standards. If some other team gets lots of support despite a horrible record, good for them. They've found some way to lure people in, despite being horrible. But that certainly blows the poor performance is due to lack of funds from attendance out of the water.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 PM

54 posts, read 112,784 times
And that's probably why those teams continue to be horrible. You continue to go to the games despite the terrible product on the field, so why would ownership make any changes? They are still making money hand over fist. And at the end of the day, pro sports are a business and no matter what ownership tells you, their first and foremost interest is making money, not doing things to please you.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I don't know if this was a possibility but I wanted them to be called the "Minnesota Blizzards".

I could envision a wonderful blue sweater with lace up collar with a big white snowflake as the logo.

I think it would have been great and it would have been a noun

Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 PM

400 posts, read 293,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
I don't know if this was a possibility but I wanted them to be called the "Minnesota Blizzards".

I could envision a wonderful blue sweater with lace up collar with a big white snowflake as the logo.

I think it would have been great and it would have been a noun
Well, 'wild' is also a noun, meaining something akin to wilderness. Thus, the book and film, Into The Wild. And given that the wild (ie, the thing that is the noun) is pictured on the team logo, I think its safe to say that the team nickname in this case is a noun.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous Moon View Post
Well, 'wild' is also a noun, meaining something akin to wilderness. Thus, the book and film, Into The Wild. And given that the wild (ie, the thing that is the noun) is pictured on the team logo, I think its safe to say that the team nickname in this case is a noun.
I'll go along with that. I still think the "Blizzards" would have been better. The lead in to the game could have been the sound of wind and snow.

Also, imagine "The Blizzards face off against the Avalanche tonight"

Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvc View Post
And that's probably why those teams continue to be horrible. You continue to go to the games despite the terrible product on the field, so why would ownership make any changes? They are still making money hand over fist. And at the end of the day, pro sports are a business and no matter what ownership tells you, their first and foremost interest is making money, not doing things to please you.
Who doesn't know this?

I thought that they were charging $7.25 a beer so they can not make a profit.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 PM

413 posts, read 763,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Yeah because 7,800 average attendance is "decent"

Yearly attendance for the Minnesota North Stars of the NHL at hockeydb.com
They had 7800 attendance for one season. Over the life of the team, the attendance was good, particularly for the 1970's, when attendance across the board for pro sports was MUCH lower than it is today. Look at some of the season attendance numbers for baseball for example in those days - it's inconceivable to think of such low numbers today.

That said, the reason for Green moving the team is fairly complex. The book Stadium Games details it fairly well, along with most of the other pro sports issues in the Twin Cities dating back to the 1950's.

In a nutshell, Green acquired the team in an odd swap with Howard Baldwin and some others. The NHL has had some pretty shaky ownership groups over the years, to this day. IIRC, he did so in the vacuum before Gary Bettman took over the league. Had Green been properly vetted by the league, he likely would have never been approved by the other owners - he simply didn't have the money to own and run a team. What money he did have was tied up in shaky real estate investments in Alberta during a time of low oil prices.

Green wanted a bunch of the land around Met Center, next to the Mall of America, for his own development. Nobody was willing to just give him the land. Then, they tried to work out a sweetheart deal at Target Center for him, but that wasn't possible because the terms of the buyout by the city didn't free up enough revenue to support a hockey team. Then the sexual harassment scandal came to light, and Norm allegedly had pressure from his wife to move out of Minnesota. End result - the North Stars left.

As for the Wild, it's a terrible name, but I'm a big fan. I like the logo (I think it's a bear) too. I really think they should have either named the team the Fighting Saints (and brought back the old WHA logo) or the Vulcans, which also had significant history in the area, but I think there was a trademark issue that prevented that.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:46 PM

413 posts, read 763,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Seriously, who the hell cares? "Wild" is just a name. And it refers to just a hockey team. So what? It's a name that lives or dies with the success of the franchise that owns the name.

Are people so insecure that they need to justify their own existence by identifying with a damned sports team?

As if the success or failure of that team somehow reflects upon their own identity?

Get a grip. It's a damned game. Nothing more.
Don't spill your appletini on your duvet.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Sa-Nap! Now that's how you do a put-down on the Internet!

I bet you went to Wikipedia to find those silly terms!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Seriously, who the hell cares? "Wild" is just a name. And it refers to just a hockey team. So what? It's a name that lives or dies with the success of the franchise that owns the name.

Are people so insecure that they need to justify their own existence by identifying with a damned sports team?

As if the success or failure of that team somehow reflects upon their own identity?

Get a grip. It's a damned game. Nothing more.
continually picked last during phy-ed, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul