Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times

Advertisements

I love this thread. I have tracked down a few places courtesy of Google Maps. The first one is in St. Paul on the Mendota Bridge. Both skylines are visible but it's pretty tough to make them out. They are on the extreme opposites of the screen, left to right:

st paul - Google Maps

The next one is on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul. It's very hard to see St. Paul. The link should have you facing St. Paul. The gold dome of the Capitol Building is visible. You have to zoom in. 180 degrees to the right is Minneapolis.

st. paul - Google Maps

The next one is on Ruth Street in St. Paul over I94. The two skylines are visible looking west. Both are pretty hard to see, but much easier if you zoom in.

st paul - Google Maps
Attached Thumbnails
View of Both Skylines?-mendota-bridge.jpg   View of Both Skylines?-ruth-street-i94.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:51 AM

345 posts, read 833,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I can confirm this. I used to bike the bridge every day back when I was biking to work and it's one of the only places where I've found a good view of both skylines at the same time.
Not only can you see the skylines, but sometimes you can see planes a their gate at MSP Airport. And if you can't find it, planes takeo ff and land.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM

45 posts, read 103,334 times
The Mendota Bridge, and Mounds Park are probably the most picturesque views you'll get with both downtowns included. Another cool spot I remember is on top of the old Hamms brewery but I'm not sure if it's even possible nowadays.

From a plane however this recent picture has to be one of my favorites.

twins (http://www.flickr.com/photos/punchup/6216197984/ - broken link) by Punchup (http://www.flickr.com/people/punchup/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluko View Post
The Mendota Bridge, and Mounds Park are probably the most picturesque views you'll get with both downtowns included. Another cool spot I remember is on top of the old Hamms brewery but I'm not sure if it's even possible nowadays.

twins (http://www.flickr.com/photos/punchup/6216197984/ - broken link) by Punchup (http://www.flickr.com/people/punchup/ - broken link), on Flickr

Awesome! This needs to be posted somewhere on the city vs city forum on a skyline thread (which there is a moritorium on now).

Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
st. paul - Google Maps
Attached Thumbnails
View of Both Skylines?-mound.jpg  

Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
I was sitting parked at the light at Payne over Phalen Blvd today and they were both visible there. Definitely would need a wide lense though.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluko View Post

nice image, looks like Mpls does not include a completed 1st Bank Place (Capella Twr) unless it's obscurred by the Norwest Ctr behind it but I suspect it's being built in this shot and roughly 80% complete with scaffolding wrapping the top ten floors to the right of the IDS. If so it would put this photo at roughly 1990...

Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
nice image, looks like Mpls does not include a completed 1st Bank Place (Capella Twr) unless it's obscurred by the Norwest Ctr behind it but I suspect it's being built in this shot and roughly 80% complete with scaffolding wrapping the top ten floors to the right of the IDS. If so it would put this photo at roughly 1990...
I saved that picture as my computer background so it's larger and I think I can make out the outline of the Capella Tower infront of the WF Tower. You can see the bottom zig zags and faintly make out the top hallow. But it should be there because I think I can see the Target HQ and the Carlyle as well, unless I'm hallucinating again.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:14 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I saved that picture as my computer background so it's larger and I think I can make out the outline of the Capella Tower infront of the WF Tower. You can see the bottom zig zags and faintly make out the top hallow. But it should be there because I think I can see the Target HQ and the Carlyle as well, unless I'm hallucinating again.
I agree. It's newer than that. If you download the full resolution, even though it's still hard to see exactly what is what, you can clearly see the completed "crown" of the Capella tower. I'm also pretty sure that the Carlyle-shaped mass in the photo is the Carlyle, and the Target Tower is tough to miss. I can't tell for sure, but I think the down-tilted glass walls of the AT&T tower (1991) are just visible from behind the Campbell-Mithune tower. Based on the Carlyle being visible, this can't be more than about 4 years old.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:06 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
I was on 94 today right by 3M and they were both pretty visible. But someone above pointed out Ruth, which is just down from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul