U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:23 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,734,351 times

Advertisements

Golden Valley and St. Louis Park share a pretty large skyline along I394 considering Golden Valley's Population is 20,000 and St. Louis Park's is 48,000. The tallest building immediately in the area is The Colonnade Building in Golden Valley at 225 feet but the tallest in the two cities is the Metropoint Tower at 240 feet. The Metropoint Complex and the General Mills Headquarter in the two cities also create almost a skyline of their own.

Also Edina, Minnetonka, Brooklyn Center, Roseville, and South St. Paul have small skylines.

Bloomington's skyline is a strip and is divided into 3 sections, but if it were all in one spot it would be really big,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM

View of Both Skylines?-mp_aerial_large.jpg

Heres one of the Golden Valley/St. Louis Park Skylines in the foreground, with part of the main one in the midground and Minneapolis in the background.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM

3,962 posts, read 9,148,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Golden Valley and St. Louis Park share a pretty large skyline along I394 considering Golden Valley's Population is 20,000 and St. Louis Park's is 48,000. The tallest building immediately in the area is The Colonnade Building in Golden Valley at 225 feet but the tallest in the two cities is the Metropoint Tower at 240 feet. The Metropoint Complex and the General Mills Headquarter in the two cities also create almost a skyline of their own.

Also Edina, Minnetonka, Brooklyn Center, Roseville, and South St. Paul have small skylines.

Bloomington's skyline is a strip and is divided into 3 sections, but if it were all in one spot it would be really big,
You make great points. I wrk in this area and the high-rises are pretty cool. You could even include the entire 394 stretch starting at the Carlson Towers. I always liked Bloomington's skyline, however I agree it would be really big.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Also a great point. I think maybe just as Bloomington and Richfield share an extended strip-like skyline along 494, i think Golden Valley, St. Louis Park and Minnetonka could probably be considered to share a strip-like skyline along 394. Although the problem for both places is, it is nearly impossible to get a view of all three sections at once. The 394 skyline could be divided to the Carlson Towers, Metropoint and General Mills, and Golden Valley/St. Louis Park (since that is the biggest of the three). And 494 could be divided to Mall of America (which is surrounded by mid rise building, plus the Radisson Blu under construction), France Avenue, which has the Wells Fargo Center in it, and then Normandale, which is the biggest, and has the tallest, the 8500 Tower, The Sheration, all of the other "8000" towers and the La Quinta and other mid to high rises. And of course in the middle of all of those is the massive Best Buy headquarters, which is... just huge.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 PM

14,870 posts, read 20,204,658 times
Everyone is forgetting about the obvious, State fair space tower?
No you cant see the South and West metro skylines but its still pretty awesome

Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 PM

166 posts, read 372,954 times
when the plane you're on is making a final descent to MSP international runway

Old 03-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Everyone is forgetting about the obvious, State fair space tower?
No you cant see the South and West metro skylines but its still pretty awesome
That is true... in fact when sitting on the stands at hamline univeristy the state fair seems to have its own skyline also. the 4h, space tower, agricuture building, the grandstand and the windmill blade. Quite a bizzare skyline, but a skyline nonetheless!

Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 AM

Building Blocks – Wells Fargo Plaza

Posted: 2:50 pm Thu, March 15, 2012
By Frank Jossi
Tags: Edward Farr, Kurt T. Wilczek, Larkin Hoffman, Wells Fargo Plaza

mod cut

Intriguing tidbits: The Wells Fargo Plaza was originally the tallest building in Bloomington until 1988, when the 8500 Tower at Normandale Lake Office Park opened. Today, the upper floors of the tower still offer unobstructed views of the downtown skylines of Minneapolis and St. Paul, as well as the Minnesota River Valley.

Last edited by golfgal; 03-17-2012 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: copyrighted photos not allowed

Old 03-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Recently drove from Roseville towards Midway via Snelling Ave. and when I got to what seemed like a peek point on rolling height (bridge over pass actually) just before reaching Hamline University, I looked to my left about 9 o'clock poistion and to my right about 2 o'clock position and saw both downtown skylines.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 AM

30 posts, read 113,784 times
Wanted to thank everyone for their responses in this thread.

Was in Minneapolis over the weekend and did make it to the Indian Mounds to get my photo of St. Paul, with Minneapolis in the background.

The Mendota Bridge suggestion worked out well too. Both skylines are perfectly visible, and I do think are photo worthy (though I did not get those pictures due to time restraints).

I absolutely love Minneapolis (this was my second visit). Spent the weekend there, got to see two White Sox/Twins games, and had a blast enjoying the Minneapolis night life. If my life situation was different, I would seriously considering moving up there, at least for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul