Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,842,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Interesting stats, but they do appear to be old. They predicted Minneapolis' population at about 400,000 for 2010, which the Census has shown isn't close at all. I'm guessing these stats came out pre-recession, because I think Minneapolis at that time was expected to grow quite a bit.
Oh yeah (was removed from the comp. while I was looking at this), those stats are ANCIENT, because those numbers are what I remember from the estimated projections from like 2000. Not saying they hold no value, but some places are going to grow far less, and other far more. I expect Minneapolis, St. Louis Park, St. Paul (at some point) and maybe Edina to blossom as core cities, and Woodbury, Blaine, Maple Grove, Shakopee (anomaly), and Plymouth to surge as 2nd/3rd ring suburbs this decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:26 PM

434 posts, read 550,310 times
I think thatthe Anoka, Coon Rapids and Elk River area will really take off. Especially if the rail line to Saint Cloud gets built.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:25 PM

23,135 posts, read 28,892,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
I too see a larger proportion of growth occurring in the central cities and inner-ring suburbs this decade than in the last few.

I think 60,000 is a big of a high-ball estimate for Minneapolis-- I would be happy to see it, of course, but I think 30-45,000 is much more realistic. I could also easily see an additional 10-20,000 in Saint Paul.
Given the powerful, anti-density, anti-development, Not-In-My-Back-Yard small-town-minded, neighborhood groups there, which I'm sorely familiar with, having lived there for 21 years, I just don't, don't, don't see that happening, unless you round them all up and put them on a barge to New Orleans!

Cedar Square West was originally planned to be a community of 30,000 on the West Bank during the early 70's, and what happened with that!!!

Uptown, Calhoun, Lake of the Isles, the Wedge, Phillips, Loring communities ain't gonna allow any more high density, or the riverfront, so where oh where will you build the housing for even 20,000 new residents!

I will have to see it, touch it, smell it, to believe it!

I fear the Mpls. Nimby's have taken their cue from Cali-for-nimbia and San-Fran-nimbia: Say no to any new higher density housing project, restrict the housing market, let the rents go sky high, and the value of our houses will remain undiluted!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-16-2012 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: change wording, add lines

Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,018,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Given the powerful, anti-density, anti-development, Not-In-My-Back-Yard small-town-minded, neighborhood groups there, which I'm sorely familiar with, having lived there for 21 years, I just don't, don't, don't see that happening...

Uptown, Calhoun, Lake of the Isles, the Wedge, Phillips, Loring communities ain't gonna allow any more high density, or the riverfront, so where oh where will you build the housing for even 20,000 new residents!
I do agree that Minneapolis does have a bit of NIMBYism. But I don't think it's fair to say that there won't be much growth. A lot of the Uptown neighborhoods have had projects springing up, especially along the Hennepin-Lake intersection and along the Greenway. You could add a pretty decent amount of people in these areas. Also, I think a lot of Downtown East hasn't been properly exploited for growth. There are so many surface parking lots that could be mixed use or whatever. Plus, if plans actually do go through for the Metrodome to be knocked down (this is assuming that the current plans for the new stadium not be on the site), then the plan is for more high-density development.

Now it might take a while to get all of this done, but I can see Minneapolis slowly creeping up in population over the next few decades.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM

I could see the area between the downtowns of Minneapolis and St. Paul growing, with taller buildings. Say, along University Avenue

Old 02-17-2012, 08:05 PM

23,135 posts, read 28,892,977 times
I've often thought, when I lived in Mpls., the Midway District could make a nice urban oasis, away from the Nimby's of St. Paul & Mpls. Perhaps the residents in that area would be more receptive to growth/development or density. And with the light rail going between the 2 cities, it would be a great location for that, being equidistant to both cities.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:51 PM

I could see that happening along the midway.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:23 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,152,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I do agree that Minneapolis does have a bit of NIMBYism. But I don't think it's fair to say that there won't be much growth. A lot of the Uptown neighborhoods have had projects springing up, especially along the Hennepin-Lake intersection and along the Greenway. You could add a pretty decent amount of people in these areas. Also, I think a lot of Downtown East hasn't been properly exploited for growth. There are so many surface parking lots that could be mixed use or whatever. Plus, if plans actually do go through for the Metrodome to be knocked down (this is assuming that the current plans for the new stadium not be on the site), then the plan is for more high-density development.

Now it might take a while to get all of this done, but I can see Minneapolis slowly creeping up in population over the next few decades.
But what I saw in the design concept was a big plaza. I don't know if it's supposed to be JUST a plaza, but part of me worries about it taking up the whole Dome site! However, since Wilf is okay with this proposal (it sounds), and since he wanted Arden Hills because of development potential, I can TOTALLY see Wilf getting development rights to the old Dome site and/or surrounding area and I can see him wanting to capitalize (NY style) on that area's STRONG residential growth.

This could get interesting...

Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,152,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
I could see the area between the downtowns of Minneapolis and St. Paul growing, with taller buildings. Say, along University Avenue
I don't know how much height I see happening, but definitely lots of growth, especially near Hwy. 280! This is an area where I see a lot of hipsters wanting to live, as well as middle-class families with little/no personal transportation. If you lived along the Central Corridor, you could pretty easily live car-free in this city.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,018,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
But what I saw in the design concept was a big plaza. I don't know if it's supposed to be JUST a plaza, but part of me worries about it taking up the whole Dome site! However, since Wilf is okay with this proposal (it sounds), and since he wanted Arden Hills because of development potential, I can TOTALLY see Wilf getting development rights to the old Dome site and/or surrounding area and I can see him wanting to capitalize (NY style) on that area's STRONG residential growth.

This could get interesting...
I believe the idea was a park/plaza with the housing surrounding it. However, I doubt the whole Dome site would be park. That's a LOT of space. I can't see Ziggy getting development rights in two separate places. Plus, it seems that the Dome site just might be getting the new stadium, for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul