Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:44 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,670,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoveAround View Post
Thanks for the replies

I like a suburban setting as long as it's not lost in suburbia, 50 miles from a city. I love suburbs where the line between city and suburb is blurred, but in the suburb there are very few of the "city problems" that bleed over. I know it's tough to find, but I'm sure its out there somewhere The wife on the other hand would probably like a deeper suburban setting. I'm happy as long as she's happy.

As for the east bay - Dublin, Danville, Lafayette...
Something along the lines of those cities would be very very appealing to me as they were among my favorites.

How would you compare the overall safety of the East Bay (and which part were you from??) to St. Paul and Minneapolis? What about it's suburbs?
Also as far as general friendliness goes, how would you compare the TC area to the Bay Area?
Danville and Dublin are pretty different (am not at all familiar with Lafayette). One thing to keep in mind about the Twin Cities suburbs, as opposed to, say, Dublin: Dublin is really far out, but it's easy to hop on BART and get into Oakland, San Francisco, etc. The far-out suburbs here don't have anything like BART (although they do have commuter buses), which may or may not be an issue for you.

Given what you've said, I'd agree with the suggestions to check out Edina, etc. It has sort of a blend of city/suburban, and a mix of upscale and just middle-class. It has a reputation for being wealthy, but there's actually a wide range of housing types and prices. Definitely feels suburban, but not so far out that you'd feel isolated from the action. The 50th and France area semi functions as a "downtown," and has a bunch of upscale shops and restaurants, galleries, that sort of thing, which may be a bit like Danville. A little bit farther out in Edina is the area around Southdale (mall), which is more modern suburban in feel, but has a bunch of townhouses and apartment complexes. Crime is not an issue in any of those areas.

I'd give the city neighborhoods a shot, too. If you check out Edina, stop off in Linden Hills in Minneapolis first, for example. Or for more urban, Uptown. And all the areas mentioned in St. Paul, although I don't personally know them as well. Highland Park could be a good match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 06:03 PM

2,104 posts, read 4,581,958 times
Q What activities did you do in Boise?

Q Mountain biking, hiking, gpsing,?

Last edited by demtion35; 01-10-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 10,041 times
I like to ride ATVs, dune buggies, go target shooting. I definitely would like to get into mountain biking.

One thing I do like about Boise is a trip to the mountains for some fun times (summer or winter) is never more than 30 minutes from the city - even at the summit. Although trading mountains for snow seems fair.. I think.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM

42 posts, read 90,798 times
I see you want a city where they know how to drive- Minneapolis definitely isn't on the top of that list. However, you get used to it, and you'll learn to drive a bit more defensive after living here a few months. Minnesota definitely sounds like a good fit for you, since you've expressed how much you like the cold weather.

If you plan on coming in the next month, road conditions could be a bit sketchy in the Dakota's as well as NW Minnesota- it's all a wait and see game really.

To me, I think the beauty of MN is best in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Winter- ehh.

Good luck and safe travels~

Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 AM

391 posts, read 657,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Danville and Dublin are pretty different (am not at all familiar with Lafayette). One thing to keep in mind about the Twin Cities suburbs, as opposed to, say, Dublin: Dublin is really far out, but it's easy to hop on BART and get into Oakland, San Francisco, etc. The far-out suburbs here don't have anything like BART (although they do have commuter buses), which may or may not be an issue for you.
Lafayette, along with Moraga & Orinda, are affluent East Bay communities similar to Danville, but a bit further north. Dublin is to the south of Danville. None of these areas are really that far from Oakland or SF, but they are "over the hill" which makes them physically outer ring.

I grew up east of Dublin in Livermore. Dublin was where all the chain stores and the multiplex theaters were when I was a kid (before the Dublin BART extension - wish we'd had it back then). All of those areas have filled in lot in recent decades, and I believe Dublin has gone a bit more upscale as well.

I would say Danville/Layfayette is more Minnetonka/Edina and Dublin is more Roseville, at least from what I remember.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM

200 posts, read 564,482 times
I second the St.Louis park and Edina areas! St.Louis park is more affordable than Edina. Minnetonka is also a good option! It is a little further out from Minneapolis and Uptown, but just jump on the highway and you are downtown no problem.

Go in June!! Longer day, mild summer weather, everyone is out and enjoying themselves. Maybe even may...depending on if it is a rainy spring or not. And the bad lands are pretty awesome to drive through during the summer months also.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 AM

192 posts, read 449,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
So your preference is a suburban type setting, urban setting? There are some suburbs here that have decent Downtowns and their are neighborhoods in Mpls. /St. Paul that have many good options.
I personally like the west side of St. Paul (not West St. Paul the city). Uptown, south Minneapolis and St. Louis Park are also some of my favorite areas of the city (think trails, lakes, urban neighborhoods with single family home options and close to many of the metro area attractions.
Is there that much of a difference between the West Side and West Saint Paul? My mom grew up on the West Side and I can tell virtually no difference between her house and neighborhood and my Aunt's a mile or so up the bluff in West Saint Paul. The further out you go towards Inver Grove and Mendota Heights it definitely gets more suburban feeling but not anywhere around Annapolis, for blocks and blocks on either side, honestly, you'd never know they were two different cities! I can see downtown Saint Paul from my Aunt's place in "West" Saint Paul but am many miles away from anything urban at my brother in laws house which is technically in South Minneapolis but is very suburban and really like Richfield. Weird zoning in and around Saint Paul. West as well as South Saint Paul should be a apart of Saint Paul IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul