Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 PM

20 posts, read 47,616 times

Advertisements

We live north of the cities (in the New Brighton area)...going to the Twins Game for the first time. Is it easy enough to just drive there and park in a ramp, or should we take a train? I think there is a train in Fridley, but not sure if we'll have to wait long after the game to board the train as everyone is also leaving. Thoughts?

Also, there giving away caps at the 1:10 game we're going to (for the first 20,000 fans), if we wanted to be in the mix, what time do you think should we arrive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
You could get on the Northstar north of town and get dropped right at the stadium. Lots and LOTS of people drive down and park in the ramps by the stadium, but I think that costs more than a train ticket.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 AM

319 posts, read 528,921 times
Could take Northstar, or bus it if there's a park and ride closer. It depends what day and who they're playing, but I'd imagine actually entering the stadium at 12:30 should be fine for the freebies.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
Yeah, Northstar via the Fridley station should work pretty well. It is $3.25/person (each way) from there. Of course, if you have a bunch of people going, it might end up being cheaper to drive and park. If you did end up wanting to drive, and don't mind a bit of a walk, you can park closer to the metro-dome much cheaper and its ~1mi walk through downtown to get back to Target field.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM

687 posts, read 1,256,072 times
You can buy a family pass for the Northstar for $11 (2 adults and up to 3 kids round trip). It looks like the train leaves 30 minutes after the last out.

Also accessible from the Northstar station in Fridley is the 852 bus which runs about once per hour all day. It's actually faster than the Northstar, though it won't be coordinated with Twins games.

Honestly, I'd probably just drive from New Brighton. You might be able to drive downtown in the time it takes you to drive to the Northstar station. Plus, you would have flexibility to leave when you want to (waiting a half hour after a 13 inning game doesn't sound all that great).

I would consider finding parking near the Metrodome and taking the Hiawatha to Target Field (though maybe the Hiawatha is packed after games?). Train fare would only be 50 cents a person from there.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 AM

308 posts, read 897,006 times
if you want to drive to the Twins game, please keep in mind that you won't find cheaper parking than $10 anywhere in downtown... + gas + all the hassle of getting out of downtown after the game + your time lost.

I'd take the train or bus if I were you.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammci View Post
We live north of the cities (in the New Brighton area)...going to the Twins Game for the first time. Is it easy enough to just drive there and park in a ramp, or should we take a train? I think there is a train in Fridley, but not sure if we'll have to wait long after the game to board the train as everyone is also leaving. Thoughts?

Also, there giving away caps at the 1:10 game we're going to (for the first 20,000 fans), if we wanted to be in the mix, what time do you think should we arrive?
Forget the train if your time is of any value to you. You can park in one of the LaSalle Ramps (3 blocks) for $5. It affords easy access in and out as you don't have to mess with Hennepin. Never had to wait entering or exiting on LaSalle. Take 9th to LaSalle and leave via 8th Street back to the East (SouthEast really) Come into downtown and leave from the South, East or North.

You can also park for free at many of the meters, I know that 2nd Avenue is available and is only a 6 block walk. You might be able to find other options from the map on the 2nd link. Whatever you do, don't park anywhere NW of LaSalle Avenue torwards the stadium.

Daily Parking

http://www.mplsparking.com/CurrentMeterMap.pdf

Last edited by Ghengis; 07-09-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM

20 posts, read 47,616 times
Excellent advice! Thanks!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
if you want to drive to the Twins game, please keep in mind that you won't find cheaper parking than $10 anywhere in downtown... + gas + all the hassle of getting out of downtown after the game + your time lost.

I'd take the train or bus if I were you.
In my experience it is more of a hassle getting on the train or light rail after a game--you and about 80% of the crowd. We've had to wait upwards of 45 minutes to get onto the platform to get into a light rail car.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 PM

319 posts, read 528,921 times
Could always do something downtown while the crowds disperse if you don't want to deal with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul