Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Let's get one thing clear. BUYING A HOUSE IS NOT AN INVESTMENT. To own a house gives one privacy from neighbors so you don't have to share walls and that is about it. I know a few single people who own houses and they have little savings in the bank. I rent and I have several years worth of savings. I don't have to constantly **** money away for updates and repairs. You do the math.

Oh another thing. I was part of a mass layoff a couple of years ago. The people in trouble in that layoff were the homeowners. They either had to sell to relocate to stay with the company ( and at a HUGE loss), or they were confined by their home location and stuck with a long commute if the new job was far away. More than 1 of those coworkers said that they will never buy a house again.
Buying a home most certainly is a long term investment. The problem is people keep wanting to apply short term gains to a long term investment and it just does not work. Yes, in this current market selling a home is difficult, but we have also sold homes in good markets where we have had 5+ offers the first day it was listed. It is all cyclical. In the example I posted earlier, the value of homes, over time, will increase and you will realize that increase if you hold your home long enough. For some markets "long enough" is 5 days, other's it might be 20 years.

10 years ago we sold my Grandfather's property (well my Dad did). He bought the land/house for $8000, 500 acres, house, 2 barns, 3 outbuildings. We parceled off part of that land and sold each ACRE for $8000/acre 60 years after he bought that. You can do the math to see how this was an investment.

Homeownership is not for everyone but there is no return on rental dollars, ever. However, you still need a place to live so you will spend that money one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Buying a home most certainly is a long term investment. The problem is people keep wanting to apply short term gains to a long term investment and it just does not work. Yes, in this current market selling a home is difficult, but we have also sold homes in good markets where we have had 5+ offers the first day it was listed. It is all cyclical. In the example I posted earlier, the value of homes, over time, will increase and you will realize that increase if you hold your home long enough. For some markets "long enough" is 5 days, other's it might be 20 years.

10 years ago we sold my Grandfather's property (well my Dad did). He bought the land/house for $8000, 500 acres, house, 2 barns, 3 outbuildings. We parceled off part of that land and sold each ACRE for $8000/acre 60 years after he bought that. You can do the math to see how this was an investment.

Homeownership is not for everyone but there is no return on rental dollars, ever. However, you still need a place to live so you will spend that money one way or another.
YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUYING PROPERTY THAT WAS IN THE FAMILY. OF COURSE YOU WILL MAKE A PROFIT WHEN SELLING BECAUSE YOU GOT IT CHEAPER THAN IF YOU WEREN'T FAMILY!!!!!!! Do the math on that one. And this post is about buying a house not acres and acres of land. Almost everything you say is always off the subject and just rankles me.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM

442 posts, read 539,688 times
Where else would you go? Once you relocate in the future, if that happens, will you have interest in coming back to the Cities? Do you have what it takes to rent out your home?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUYING PROPERTY THAT WAS IN THE FAMILY. OF COURSE YOU WILL MAKE A PROFIT WHEN SELLING BECAUSE YOU GOT IT CHEAPER THAN IF YOU WEREN'T FAMILY!!!!!!! Do the math on that one. And this post is about buying a house not acres and acres of land. Almost everything you say is always off the subject and just rankles me.
We didn't buy the property, we sold it after my Grandpa died. HE paid $8000 and when he died that property was worth well over $1,000,000. Part of this WAS his house.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,704,608 times
Quote:
We didn't buy the property, we sold it after my Grandpa died. HE paid $8000 and when he died that property was worth well over $1,000,000. Part of this WAS his house.
As the fine print says, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
As the fine print says, past performance is no guarantee of future results.
True, however, over time, you will see appreciation in your home. There have been good and bad housing markets all along coupled with interest rates in the 15-18% range. Those not old enough to remember those days think now is a bad time to buy, but they are wrong. With 3.3% interest rates you are practically getting a house for cost. We were pricing out homes for our son over the weekend. He was looking at rentals and I suggested he look at houses to buy. There were several townhomes and even a few single family homes that would have given him a $400/month HOUSE payment (with taxes and insurance). He has a couple friends that he would rent rooms to cover his house payment. His plan is to keep this as a rental property down the road. It's a smart move all the way around. The current tax value on these places are in the $175,000 range, listed in the $75K range. One is poised for a potential state or county take-over in the next 10-15 years possibly.

Now, if he were thinking of selling in 2 or 3 years, no, buying a home doesn't make sense. If you are looking LONG TERM, real estate is always a great investment. Ask at your bank, mutual fund company, etc. what their money is invested in....

Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM

442 posts, read 539,688 times
Quote:
True, however, over time, you will see appreciation in your home. There have been good and bad housing markets all along coupled with interest rates in the 15-18% range. Those not old enough to remember those days think now is a bad time to buy, but they are wrong. With 3.3% interest rates you are practically getting a house for cost. We were pricing out homes for our son over the weekend. He was looking at rentals and I suggested he look at houses to buy. There were several townhomes and even a few single family homes that would have given him a $400/month HOUSE payment (with taxes and insurance). He has a couple friends that he would rent rooms to cover his house payment. His plan is to keep this as a rental property down the road. It's a smart move all the way around. The current tax value on these places are in the $175,000 range, listed in the $75K range. One is poised for a potential state or county take-over in the next 10-15 years possibly.

Now, if he were thinking of selling in 2 or 3 years, no, buying a home doesn't make sense. If you are looking LONG TERM, real estate is always a great investment. Ask at your bank, mutual fund company, etc. what their money is invested in....
Buy in the city, not in the suburbs. Suburban land values will plummet in the near future, especially as the demographic reversal continues and people move back into the cities.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,704,608 times
Quote:
True, however, over time, you will see appreciation in your home.
Maybe. That's a valid opinion and one could argue that we are simply reverting to the long term trend. Real vs Nominal Housing Prices: United States 1890-2010

However, due to significant demographic changes such as the aging of the population, and the fact that the next generation may not do as well financially as previous generations, it looks to me like maybe not.

I am an advocate of home ownership, but not for any financial reasons. I just don't want to have to move because a landlord decides to sell or not renew my lease. I believe that housing prices still have a long ways to fall, and we'll never again see the type of housing price increases that we saw from the 1970s to 2007. I personally don't care if the price of my house goes down, but for someone borrowing against it, or planning to ever sell and pay off a mortgage in order to relocate, like our OP, it's a very risky bet to ignore the global deflationary trend in housing prices.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Buy in the city, not in the suburbs. Suburban land values will plummet in the near future, especially as the demographic reversal continues and people move back into the cities.
Never in a million years would he live in the city. Our town of 20,000 is too big for him.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 PM

332 posts, read 821,846 times
Try this area out, it is safe affordable, and "rentable". I have friends who bought a starter home a few blocks further to the East (14th Ave). They now rent it for more than what their mortgage is. It is a nice area and a quick drive to the U or the airport.

4605 5th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55419
MLS 4055167

I have no idea whose home this is. I promise!

This one is a little more pricey but nicer. And closer to my friends rental.

4649 13th Ave S
mls 4102841

Last edited by danielle_pal; 01-10-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul