Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM

442 posts, read 540,027 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I'll be in town for pre-move visits and hanging with the misses on Feb. 9-13 and March 8-12. I'll be traveling on a budget so does anyone have any ideas for free/cheap things to do in the Twin Cities during this time? I'm open to almost anything. I'm the adventurous sort and so is she

Thanks so much, you guys have been excellent so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Check out some of the clubs in town, like First Avenue.

While not "free" The Guthrie Theater is premiering "End of the Rainbow" from January 28th to March 11th before it goes to Broadway. More info here.

Also at the Guthrie is "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" through February 26th.

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is free (except for special exhibitions). One of the world's greatest collections of Asian Art. The Walker Art Center is free on Thursdays. One of the world's top 5 Modern Art Museums according to the the NY Times. Currently hosting an exhibition curated by filmmaker John Waters.

The Weisman Art Museum is also free, and housed in a building designed by Frank Gehry.

Just the beginning of a list...

Old 01-10-2012, 05:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
St. Paul Carnival usually has a lot of free activities. Como Zoo is always free.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
After retirement, I signed up to follow the U of M Music School on Twitter. They have several concerts a month, various kinds of music, all free. Definitely a neat thing to know about. There are events at the Central Library on Nicollet Mall. When I lived in Portland OR, I haunted the central library there for their free events. You might also check into your neighborhood organization. There are ones for nearly every neighborhood, and they have events. The park system also has stuff going on.

Really if you start doing research, I bet you could use up ANY free time you have doing activities that don't cost you any money.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:00 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,953 times
The Como zoo is pretty crummy but the free Conservatory is amazing.

Como Park Zoo and Conservatory

Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,631 times
Visiting Hmong Village off of Johnson Pkwy in east St. Paul is an adventure. Cheap eats & the booths are fun to explore.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 AM

9 posts, read 10,263 times
I would suggest visiting the minneapolis.org website. It has a lot of information on places to visit. Click on the visitor link and check out the tours and attractions. There is a list of lots of free things to do. They even have suggested itineraries and discounts on attractions (some coupons for free tickets sometimes). Also Google Thrifty Hipster. They provide information on all the happy hours going on in the twin cities. It is a great way to eat on the cheap or try out restaurants that you would otherwise not go to. HH usually run between 3-6 most days. Also, make use of Restaurant.com for discount restaurant gift cards that you can use right away. The deals are pretty good. Also check Groupon. They have a section for deals that you can use on particular days or hours. There are links to some interesting attractions as well.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

Last edited by LovingLifeMN; 01-29-2012 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: weird website link

Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 PM

434 posts, read 552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Hey there! I'll be in town for pre-move visits and hanging with the misses on Feb. 9-13 and March 8-12. I'll be traveling on a budget so does anyone have any ideas for free/cheap things to do in the Twin Cities during this time? I'm open to almost anything. I'm the adventurous sort and so is she

Thanks so much, you guys have been excellent so far.

Be careful not to freeze. I'm pretty sure you can do that for free.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
If the ice rinks haven't closed down yet you could go ice skating at a variety of parks and frozen lakes. Since it will still be cold the two best free places to walk around in my opinion are the skyways in Downtown Minneapolis and the Mall of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul