Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 6,689 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband I will be relocating to the area b/c I have accepted a job with a company in Plymouth.

Of course, I'd like as short a commute as possible, so we're looking at houses in Plymouth, Maple Grove, Wayzata, Minnetonka or maybe others close by.

We're 33 and 35, no kids. We'd like to be relatively close to nice restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. House range would be $400 - 500k. I'd love a newer construction house, but would consider an older one if in good condition.

What are the pros/cons of these areas? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,772 times
They're all nice areas. Since you don't care about the school district you may be able to get more for your money in the part of Plymouth that's not in Wayzata schools. You could easily get close to Ridgedale although that would be in Wayzata schools I believe. There's a lot of newer construction out there as well as plenty of older stock that has likely been updated.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:54 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Other than driving distance, they are all great places for you to live and all about the same as far as desirability but for different reasons.. Maple Grove is probably the "worst" of the list but it is still really good. Wayzata is a bit harder to get around because of the lake and all the inlets but it also adds charm to the area too. You will find the newest construction in Plymouth and Maple Grove. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Keep in mind though the housing resale in MN is best in the better school districts and if you are going to move to Plymouth you will want to be in the Wayzata district.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Yeah, I kind of assumed that Maple Grove was the "worst" of these areas, but I'm not sure why. Can you elaborate as to why? Thanks!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1979 View Post
Yeah, I kind of assumed that Maple Grove was the "worst" of these areas, but I'm not sure why. Can you elaborate as to why? Thanks!
The other areas are pretty upscale and closer is all. It's not a bad area at all, just not quite as nice as Wayzata and Minnetonka keeping in mind that Wayzata is one of the most expensive places to live (housing) in MN.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,097,271 times
Quote:
Wayzata is among the "oldest wealth" suburbs of the Twin Cities, so it has that reputation. Minnetonka is like it.

Maple Grove would be much newer housing stock, and probably younger. It's further from downtown, and pretty much everything else worth going to, although it does have Arbor Lakes, and is closer to the "natural" wonders of the Twin Cities (park reserves-- Elm Creek, French Park, etc.)

I think that's what Golfgal meant by "worst." Not bad at all, just least convenient.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
You could easily get close to Ridgedale although that would be in Wayzata schools I believe. There's a lot of newer construction out there as well as plenty of older stock that has likely been updated.
Not entirely impossible that they'd be in Hopkins schools if they were that close to Ridgedale.

Open enrollment definitely used to be so easy in Minnesota that this didn't even factor for most people, though...

Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Hello,

My husband I will be relocating to the area b/c I have accepted a job with a company in Plymouth.

Of course, I'd like as short a commute as possible, so we're looking at houses in Plymouth, Maple Grove, Wayzata, Minnetonka or maybe others close by.

We're 33 and 35, no kids. We'd like to be relatively close to nice restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. House range would be $400 - 500k. I'd love a newer construction house, but would consider an older one if in good condition.

What are the pros/cons of these areas? Thank you!
Have you considered-- since you're younger-- getting closer to the city? A condo in St. Louis Park or nice house near Crystal Lake in Robbinsdale, or something? It would be a slightly worse commute to the job in Plymouth, and less suburban, but more amenities in the way of bars/restaurants close by....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM

987 posts, read 3,820,192 times
Depending on where you're coming from there are really no nice restaurants outside of the city.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:57 AM

Kuan - I agree that there may not be many good restaurants outside of the city

I haven't heard of Robbinsdale. What is that like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul