Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM

67 posts, read 115,948 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We won't actually be moving to the twin cities until next year, but we will be taking a trip or two to the area this year to scope things out. We are needing help in figuring out which areas we should scope out for where we want to rent.

So here is what we are looking for:

- We need at least 3 bedrooms, but 4 bedrooms would be more comfortable.
- We have a 40 lb dog (a blue healer mutt). He is energetic, but not destructive.
- The area needs to be safe and family friendly. I have two young kids, so it would be awesome to have parks close by.
- We would like a backyard of some kind.
- Townhouses and houses are all acceptable.
- Since I work out of my home office, I don't have a daily commute. So this means the location can be flexible. With that said, we would like there to be things close by that we can easily access (such as groceries, some shopping, etc...we are not talking walking distance).
- We don't want to have to travel more than 25 minutes to downtown minneapolis.
- We are willing to sign a one year lease, just as long as after the lease is met, it is month to month.
- The age of the building is not a big deal to us. However, we prefer newer kitchens.

Our budget is fairly flexible, but it would be great to get something close to $1500/month.

Based on my research, these are a few suburbs that look like they might work. But keep in mind we haven't been to any of these areas yet:

- St. Louis Park
- Edina
- Eden Prairie
- Savage, Burnsville and Apple Valley appear to have lower prices and newer homes.

So here are my questions:

1. Is my budget realistic for what we are looking for? If not, what is a more realistic range for what we want?

2. Are there any other suburbs that we should include on my list? What about St. Paul suburbs?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Probably not realistic for Edina and Eden Prairie, more realistic for Apple Valley, Rosemount, Farmington even into Hastings but still on the lower end for a 4 bedroom house with a yard. Yard and house size are going to be issues in St. Louis Park along with any of the close in, first ring suburbs. DH had a blue healer mutt, great dog but they need space to run in a yard. All of the districts you listed have great schools and would be good places to consider for permanent residence though. A lot will be more of what you want in a community--large suburban areas vs smaller town feel, etc.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM

67 posts, read 115,948 times
Would closer to $2,000/month make it more feasible in Edina or Eden Prairie?

We aren't dead set on any area at all, but we just want to have a good idea in what to expect.

I would say that we would rather having access to parks and amenities close by over having a "small town" feel. In fact, we are kind of sick of feeling like we are in a small town (partially because that is where we have lived most of our lives, lol).

Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroane View Post
Would closer to $2,000/month make it more feasible in Edina or Eden Prairie?

We aren't dead set on any area at all, but we just want to have a good idea in what to expect.

I would say that we would rather having access to parks and amenities close by over having a "small town" feel. In fact, we are kind of sick of feeling like we are in a small town (partially because that is where we have lived most of our lives, lol).
Parks and amenities are abundant in pretty much all of the suburbs. You really aren't more than about 10 minutes away from pretty much anything you need for day to day shopping anywhere in the metro. $2000 would get you closer but probably an older 3 bedroom. For example, our house would fit your needs, 4 bedrooms, large kitchen (reasonably "new"), large fenced in back yard with lots of bunnies and squirrels for the dog to chase, 2 blocks from a large park, 6 blocks from a couple smaller ones, 1-3 miles from all the shopping you need, biking distance to the zoo, county parks, etc. all on nice wide paved trails, 25-30 minutes into Minneapolis, etc., etc. We would probably rent for $2200-2500.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM

332 posts, read 822,171 times
I saw some homes on craigslist in edina and eden prarie that met your criteria for 1800
burnsville is cheaper for home rentals.... St. Louis Park as well.... Good luck!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
$1500 for 4 bedrooms and a backyard is possible in the Northern suburbs. Try looking in places like Blaine and Coon Rapids if you're finding those other areas outside of your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul