U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM

20,793 posts, read 59,149,383 times

Advertisements

The other issue at hand is the kids and schools. About the only state to state comparison you can use would be SAT and ACT scores:

South Carolina average ACT score, 20, SAT average 1447

Minnesota average ACT score 24, SAT 1781

Those are significant differences. Just another feather in your cap for MN
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 PM

11,332 posts, read 24,954,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The other issue at hand is the kids and schools. About the only state to state comparison you can use would be SAT and ACT scores:

South Carolina average ACT score, 20, SAT average 1447

Minnesota average ACT score 24, SAT 1781

Those are significant differences. Just another feather in your cap for MN
Even that isn't always an apples to apples comparison, depending of course on the specific states involved.

In Georgia, for example, *all* students are encouraged to take the SAT, and I suspect a higher percentage actually do so because

(a) the HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarship provide significant funding (up to 100% in the latter case) for any GA student at an accredited school who has at least a 3.0 or 3.7 GPA in high school respectively, and

(b) the HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarships will provide funding for college for students who go to schools which are not accredited if they have a high enough SAT or ACT score.

GAcollege411 - Georgia's HOPE Scholarship Program Overview

HOPE Scholarship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Minnesota, the only folks who take the ACT or SAT are folks who know they are college bound and can afford it, so I suspect you're looking at a smaller subset of students in MN who are taking the tests.

I don't know the actual numbers, of course, but I'm sure you can see that a comparison between the top 20% of students in one state to the top 30% in another tends to invalidate the comparison.

This table might demonstrate what I'm talking about, tho I suspect the difference is due to the regional preference for the ACT in MN and the SAT in Georgia.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d...s/dt06_134.asp

According to that table, 75% of graduating students in GA took the SAT in 2004-2005, and 70% took it in 2005-2006. The percentage of graduating Minnesota students taking the SAT was 11% and 10% respectively. Common sense would dictate that MN scores would be higher.

I wish I had similar numbers for the ACT.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 02-26-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul