U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:24 AM

15 posts, read 38,266 times

Advertisements

Hello all...Potentially relocating from Cincinnati to Minneapolis. Here is what I am looking for:

- Older home (before 1950)
- Established and "safe" neighborhood. Not looking for suburbia and would prefer to be withing city limits
- Good public school (not sure this is an option with Minneapolis)- 3 kids that will be in 8/7 and 4th grades: currently using cinci public so understand the feel for big public schools
- Will be working in Golden Valley
- Budget: 500 to 600K

Is this possible?? So far, looks like the SW part of town is where it's at based on the above. Within SW,,,any difference among Lynhurst, East Harriet, Fulton or others? What about St. Paul?

Anyway, appreciate the help! I posted earlier but can't find my thread so apologize if you are one of the folks that participated in earlier conversations!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,069,724 times
SW Minneapolis should be an excellent fit for you. With your budget, you should have lots of options in Linden Hills, east Harriet and Lynnhurst areas. My kids went to schools in SW Mpls (Lake Harriett Community School and SW High School) and have had good to excellent experiences. The area is very safe, filled with great amenities (restaurants, the lakes and nice public parks), and includes lots of 1910s-1920s vintage homes. Access to GV is easy via Hwy 7 to Hwy 100.

St. Paul also has several potentially attractive neighborhoods, but the commute would be more difficult asyou'd have to go past dwtn Minneapolis.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM

5,832 posts, read 6,728,980 times
Think Linden Hills, Fulton, East Harriet, Lyndale, Kingfield, Tangletown, maybe a little farther north in East Isles, Cedar-Isles-Dean neighborhoods. Linden Hills is a bit over rated, in my own opinion, but people who live there love it. The areas along the the Mississippi River in south Minneapolis are very nice-- undiscovered gems really-- but not as easy a commute to GV.
Neighborhood Profiles - City of Minneapolis
The Minneapolis public schools in these areas are fine; the issue has been one of stability with changing boundaries and magnet programs. For that reason, we chose to go the private school route. You can check this link and PM me for more information if you are interested.
Private Christian School | Minnehaha Academy | Minneapolis, Minnesota

Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM

Here's your previous thread...
//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...p-finding.html

Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM

989 posts, read 2,764,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdetroit View Post
Hello all...Potentially relocating from Cincinnati to Minneapolis. Here is what I am looking for:

- Older home (before 1950)
- Established and "safe" neighborhood. Not looking for suburbia and would prefer to be withing city limits
- Good public school (not sure this is an option with Minneapolis)- 3 kids that will be in 8/7 and 4th grades: currently using cinci public so understand the feel for big public schools
- Will be working in Golden Valley
- Budget: 500 to 600K

Is this possible?? So far, looks like the SW part of town is where it's at based on the above. Within SW,,,any difference among Lynhurst, East Harriet, Fulton or others? What about St. Paul?

Anyway, appreciate the help! I posted earlier but can't find my thread so apologize if you are one of the folks that participated in earlier conversations!

Thanks!
You are good on budget for sure. In fact you might find 375-450K is enough. Most of the homes in SW Minneapolis are going to be built between 1920 and 1935 with a few later than that (particularly Kenny).

I would not really focus so much on Fulton v Linden Hills v other specific neighborhoods. They are fairly small and not hugely different. Do pay attention to schools you would be sending your kids to. You probably would like to see Lake Harriet and SW High.

Your best commute is probably going to be using 50th to get over to 100 North. Lot of great homes along that corridor including some in Edina you may find attractive. The difference between East Edina and SW Minneapolis is not a huge one.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Super helpful! Thanks. Going to be easier to drill down these areas now... Pardon my ignorance...Are Lake Harriet and SW high part of the Minnesota school system? Does anybody know the exact boundries for these schools?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Great...So, how long of a commute are we talking say from lake Harriet to Golden Valley? Thanks for you reply, super helpful!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Great...So, how long of a commute are we talking say from lake Harriet to Golden Valley? Thanks for you reply, super helpful!
Less than 10 miles, so maybe 20 minutes.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Super helpful! Thanks. Going to be easier to drill down these areas now... Pardon my ignorance...Are Lake Harriet and SW high part of the Minnesota school system? Does anybody know the exact boundries for these schools?
That is not at all a bad question at all. In other parts of MN, cities and school districts may share names but not borders, so you can live in Eden Prairie, have a Minnetonka mailing address, and be in the Hopkins school district, but the entire city of Minneapolis is in the Minneapolis Public School District. (For clarity, all Minnesota school districts are numbered, and MPS is Special School District #1.) Though there are neighborhood schools, you will not be confined to a specific school in a certain geographic area, but will have some choice of schools within MPS. Minnesota also allows open enrollment, so you can choose to have your children attend school in any district or charter school, depending on availability. Here is a good place to start looking at schools.

2012-13 School Choice Center

And contrary to what our friend from way out there in Mahtomedi says, there is some differences between the different neighborhoods. They are also an easy way to refer to a specific geographic location, so do keep them in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul