Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyandpete View Post
Thanks to all for the info! I'm looking only at private schools because I don't have a teaching license. And I'm currently in the DC area, which is another world in terms of salaries and housing costs. What I'm hearing, though, is that it's possible to own a simple home and put some money into savings while making $60-$80k as a married couple. We don't have kids right now. Thanks for the help!
It is going to be very difficult for you to get a teaching job at any school here without a teaching license. Part of the accreditation process is the number of licensed teachers and most private schools won't hire unlicensed teachers. Now, some districts have a procedure in place to hire people that are in the "business world" to teach but they have to get a licence within a couple years. Usually you only find these in more rural areas and usually in subjects like higher sciences and math. With the number of layoffs in the past couple years, the competition for jobs is pretty high and you will be at a major disadvantage given your experience level and that you don't have a license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyandpete View Post
Thanks to all for the info! I'm looking only at private schools because I don't have a teaching license. And I'm currently in the DC area, which is another world in terms of salaries and housing costs. What I'm hearing, though, is that it's possible to own a simple home and put some money into savings while making $60-$80k as a married couple. We don't have kids right now. Thanks for the help!
Let's separate this from the discussion of whether or not you can get a teaching job in Mpls, and just talk economics...

As a couple with no kids, if you're earning $60k-$80k, you CAN own a modest home ($150k range) and be okay. Just keep in mind that, in Mpls/St Paul, $150k isn't buying you a mansion.

Also you are going to HAVE to keep your other expenses down. You'll not be able to drive 2 new vehicles, nor will you be going out for $75 per plate dinners.

Live conservatively.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
You're both teachers, so you have a better idea of your job prospects than folks here do, which is likely why you didn't ask us. As to whether it will be possible for you do do what you'd like on the amount of money you'll have, as Big George says, yes, but you'll have to watch your budget very carefully and live conservatively. My guess is that won't be a problem for you. I wish you great success.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You're both teachers, so you have a better idea of your job prospects than folks here do, which is likely why you didn't ask us. As to whether it will be possible for you do do what you'd like on the amount of money you'll have, as Big George says, yes, but you'll have to watch your budget very carefully and live conservatively. My guess is that won't be a problem for you. I wish you great success.
Licensing requirements in every state are different. MN is one of the few states were most private school teachers are licensed. There is a good chance they do not know this.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 36,546 times
Thanks! I didn't realize that many private school teachers were licensed, although I've found some good prospects that don't require it. I really appreciate all the help!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,316 times
Default I'm in the same boat.

Hi, just curious what places you found in MLPS that doesn't required you to have a MN teacher license? I just moved here from Florida! Thank you!!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
It really isn't expensive to live in the Twin Cities. Depends on how materialistic you are. Most other places this large would cost more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul