U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 16,587 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your feedback on alleys. As a result, I will consider living in a house with an alley in Minneapolis or any other location where the city plows the alleys.

I have an interview next week for a company in downtown Minneapolis. I'll admit I'm jumping the gun by starting this thread, but there are many other potential employers in downtown Minneapolis.

Besides downtown Minneapolis itself (which isn't an option given that I want cheaper rent and a yard), where are the best places to live for commuting to downtown Minneapolis? Convenient public transportation is a major plus. Areas I'm considering include the Camden neighborhood, Northeast Minneapolis, Como Park, St. Louis Park, and Richfield. Given the issue of scary neighborhoods, I'm ruling out Near North, Frogtown, and that other rough neighborhood just south of downtown Minneapolis. As of right now, the Camden neighborhood sounds the most promising - relatively inexpensive, decent area, fairly close to downtown Minneapolis, and served by several bus routes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 PM

2,728 posts, read 4,934,958 times
You have countless opportunities, which are based partly (primarily?) on whether or not you want to utilize Public Transit. Shoot, there are outlying areas of the Twin Cities where they have big Park N Ride garages.

Personally, I'm a fan of Northeast. I think it's an under-rated, often ignored gem. Housing is affordable, neighborhoods are generally decent, and the quality of living is relatively high.

On the other hand, your primary consideration is probably going to need to be access to Public Transit.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM

5,832 posts, read 6,770,784 times
All of southwest and south Minneapolis is convenient to downtown, and consists largely of single family homes or duplexes with backyards. And alleys. I live in Kingfield, which is between 36th and 46th Sts. on the north and south, and between 35W and Lyndale on the east and west. It's very nice here, and representative of many of the neighborhoods in this part of the city. If you narrow your search down to a specific area, or place, go to Metro Transit Mobile to see what bus lines run nearby, and their schedules. The Bus Rapid Transit station on 35W at 46th St. is a downtown commuter's dream.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 PM

53 posts, read 83,315 times
South Minneapolis: north of 62, west of Hiawatha, East of 35W. That whole area is pretty good.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 AM

988 posts, read 1,666,954 times
The areas you mentioned as being interested in would probably all work. I like NE Mpls, though I'm also biased in that's where I previously lived when I lived in Minneapolis proper. Have you considered areas near the Light Rail Train (http://www.metrotrainsit.org/light-rail.aspx - broken link)? This might be another option if your interest is public transit. If you lived within walking distance of the train (or easy bus ride) the train picks up about every 10 minutes during much of the day.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 AM

3,767 posts, read 8,150,703 times
Golden Valley - St Louis Park are my top choices.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:29 AM

124 posts, read 221,081 times
Another vote for NE. Bus service to downtown is good, and housing is affordable for what you get.

I have a driveway though not an alley as many of the houses in my neighborhood do also. You might also consider St. Anthony Village.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,795,571 times
You'll have a lot to choose from with the requirements you've given us. For decent bus service, just about anywhere in Minneapolis will get you downtown, though the closer you are to downtown, the better non-rush-hour service is. Another great place to look is the area near the light rail - definitely great service to downtown, the airport, MOA, etc.

You might also consider areas of St. Paul that are near University Avenue - with the new light rail coming in, it has the opportunity to do wonderful things for the area and you'd have an easy commute.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 PM

6,340 posts, read 15,203,418 times
Well, if public transport is a plus, consider Highland Park, Merriam Park and Mac-Groveland. Yes, they are in St Paul, but they are closer to downtown Mpls than many neighborhoods in Mpls are. Look at a map and you'll see what I mean. Many people commute from these n'hoods to downtown Mpls on the 134 bus which runs on Cleveland Ave, and the 144 on Snelling Ave. Both jump on I-94 for an express trip to downtown. The 134 runs about every 15 minutes. Also, from Highland, you can take several buses for a short trip across the river to the 46 St LRT station. From there, it is about a 15 minute train ride to downtown.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,962,124 times
I thought parts of the Camden n'hood were rough(er) as well....."CamdenNorthsider" would be the area expert in that regard, if he pops up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul