Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 PM

14 posts, read 44,964 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Woodbury since I was 6 years old. I'm now 23.

Pros
-Walking paths, parks, trails, soccer/baseball fiends and tennis courts everywhere for free
-Tons of shopping for anything you could ever need. 3 grocery stores, 2 targets, 1 walmart, 4 walgreens etc. plus the major Woodbury Village, Tamarack Village and Woodbury Lakes malls.
-Very safe neighborhoods, neighbors look out for each other, can leave your car unlocked while in your driveway without concern
-Kids are everywhere! Tons of neighborhood kids for your children to play and hang out with.
-Everything is kept looking nice. Lawns and gardens are always manicured and the city itself is always neat and kept up with appearances.

Cons
-Truly the soccer mom capital of the world. Lots of mini vans filled with children while mom is yacking on her iphone and not paying attention while driving.
-Expect to take 20 minutes driving from one end to the other because there are stoplights every 500 feet.
-There are rich people that live here, lots of them, and they can be snobby
-Most of the houses all look the same. Neighborhoods are different, but houses in the neighborhoods are all similar.

Overall, I'd say go for it. It's a nice place and you'll be safe and there are many things to do and you'll have everything you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
No, I personally would not, but many people love it. It's very stereotypically modern American suburbia, so if that's what you like, then I am sure you would be very happy with Woodbury. It has good schools, nice parks, lots of new houses. Of course that depends on your work location -- Woodbury would be a convenient suburban location for St. Paul, but not Minneapolis.
Stereotypical? I guess if walking paths galore, fair taxes, abundant shopping from Walmart and Savers all the way up to Tiffanys, low crime and the #1 and #2 schools in the state (Woodbury and East Ridge) are "Stereotypical" then I guess that's not such a bad thing.

Woodbury is awesome, one of the best 2 or 3 suburbs in the Twin Cities and IMO the best. I just heard they are planning on running the light rail system to Woodbury so it's going to just keep getting better.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,425,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Stereotypical? I guess if walking paths galore, fair taxes, abundant shopping from Walmart and Savers all the way up to Tiffanys, low crime and the #1 and #2 schools in the state (Woodbury and East Ridge) are "Stereotypical" then I guess that's not such a bad thing.

Woodbury is awesome, one of the best 2 or 3 suburbs in the Twin Cities and IMO the best. I just heard they are planning on running the light rail system to Woodbury so it's going to just keep getting better.
They are looking at options to reduce congestion out there, but the only thing that has been decided for sure is that it won't be in the form of a commuter rail going all the way to Eau Claire.

Light rail is still officially on the table, but the top two options from the latest analysis are buses.

Commuter rail from Twin Cities to Eau Claire off table for I-94 | StarTribune.com

Old 03-16-2012, 05:43 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
I agree with West and Uptown.

It is a fine neighborhood, I just like something closer in, walkable with more of a metro, city feel.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:

It's all a matter of personal taste. As I said, some people love Woodbury, others, like me, would not willingly choose to live there. Whether it is the right fit for the OP is going to depend her personal preferences in a neighborhood, especially given that you can find safe neighborhoods with good schools all over the metro area.

And yes, I do think it is the modern stereotypical suburb. And again, as obviously many people love that, there's a chance that the OP will love it, too. Being a stereotypical modern American suburb is not a bad thing if that's what you like.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
#1 and #2 schools in the state (Woodbury and East Ridge).
Don't forget about the Math & Science Academy

Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Just an FYI, they are not the top schools in the state. They had a high percent of kids pass the MCA's. There are other districts that score much higher on all around statistics like graduation rates, ACT/SAT scores, college placement, etc. Not that they are bad schools, they just aren't "the best".

Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,124 times
Warning!Woodbury is a very polluted area because the prevailing winds are from the northwest and they get all the pollution from both Minneapolis and St.Paul blowing right into their town. St.Paul Park and Newport are bad too for that reason. Go to pollution scorecard and Woodbury is in the deep red for every kind of pollution.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 11,018 times
Default Woodbury is nice

I live in woodbury. The plusses are: good schools, safe, good shopping, nice people, lots of bike and walking trails, and easy commuting to St. Paul.
Negatives, is it can be rather bland culterally. To see a concert or go to a museum you will have to go into the the city. If you work in Minneapolis probably better to move to a different suburb. Winter commutes can be a head ache.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 PM

60 posts, read 108,020 times
if your into that....having to drive everywhere, no diversity, malls, chain resurants, walking out to the end of you driveway and saying, now what........its prolly a pretty cool place to live...sorry, had too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul