Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM

9 posts, read 33,578 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I currently live in the Roseville area, but are looking to purchase a newer townhome on the Western side. We checked out a place in Robbinsdale yesterday that we absolutely loved. It is in the townhome development right on the SW corner of Highway 100 and 42nd.

The home felt great and the price is right....we've heard mixed opinions (not negative but not enthusiastic) on the neighborhood in terms of school quality and safety. When driving around during the day, it felt fine.

Just want to hear others' opinion on that area...I think it's far enough away from anything really rough, but just wanted to see what you all think of this area or development in particular.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM

812 posts, read 2,161,591 times
A friend lives there and likes it. She hasn't said anything in particular about it as far as safety goes but I'd have zero safety concerns there.

I chose not to send my son to the local elementary because I didn't feel they could meet my sons needs. I know some people who love it. One new option in Robbinsdale starting next fall is the STEAM school (STEM with art)

Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM

701 posts, read 1,698,600 times
I can't speak to that development or neighborhood since I live in Southwest Minneapolis, but my kids go to school very close to there and the school is wonderful (King of Grace Lutheran). It's at Duluth and Highway 100.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 AM

99 posts, read 213,558 times
I grew up there ten years ago, and if I had to we'd go back. I think you'll get a lot of what you've gotten...not enthusiastic but not negative. Blue collar, some of the houses in the surrounding neighborhoods are trashy, not kept up, but not necessarily by "bad" people! I'm sure that the neighborhood will be what you make it...get involved and meet your neighbors and I bet it'll be a great experience. I was always given free reign to go wherever I wanted to the park etc though too young to be out after dark, I nor my parents ever had any concerns. The tornado sirens went off at 9 PM I believe to act as a curfew for certain ages. I doubt that still happens though.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 AM

812 posts, read 2,161,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinswinmh View Post
I grew up there ten years ago, and if I had to we'd go back. I think you'll get a lot of what you've gotten...not enthusiastic but not negative. Blue collar, some of the houses in the surrounding neighborhoods are trashy, not kept up, but not necessarily by "bad" people! I'm sure that the neighborhood will be what you make it...get involved and meet your neighbors and I bet it'll be a great experience. I was always given free reign to go wherever I wanted to the park etc though too young to be out after dark, I nor my parents ever had any concerns. The tornado sirens went off at 9 PM I believe to act as a curfew for certain ages. I doubt that still happens though.
The sirens do go off every night at nine in town still. That area, the townhomes, are where the school used to be. It's new in the last ten years if that helps at all.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,796,831 times
The townhome development you are looking at has always looked great- kept up very nicely and a nice little development. From there you would be walking distance to downtown Robbinsdale, which is great (where you have multiple great restaurants, DQ, a Wuollet's, Hackenmueller's, etc.).

A number of our neighbors send their kids to Robbinsdale schools and they seem happy with them. The schools are likely more diverse than most suburban schools in the area, but I view that as a positive versus other persons' belief in test scores (and having children only be around other kids that are just like them) as the end-all/be-all to rating the quality of a district.

Robbinsdale's a nice close-in suburb, although more 'urban' in feel than many other local suburbs, it really has retained a small town feel throughout the years (downtown, Whiz Bang days, etc.). I wouldn't be worried about crime/safety anywhere in the area.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM

9 posts, read 33,578 times
Thanks guys. This is super helpful info. We're meeting with the realtor tomorrow to talk through the details and look forward to learning more about the house and neighborhood!

Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 PM

48 posts, read 116,010 times
I'm interested to see how it works out for you. I lived near there from 1950 - 1953 and 1964 - 1965 and attended Robbinsdale High. I have a friend who currently lives within a mile from 42nd and 100. A great place to grow up back then. I remember uptown Robbinsdale with Red Owl, Coast to Coast Hardware, Buster Brown shoes, Merwin's, Robbinsdale State Bank and of course the municipal bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul