Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 12:39 PM

79 posts, read 222,932 times

Advertisements

Is it as cool as it sounds? I found a map online, but no real info.

Does anybody here live in one of the condos connected by the skyway?

The idea of living and working on the skyway system and walking to work sounds heavenly. Potential job is on the skyway system, so that could actually happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,176,685 times
Don't you have kids? Downtown St. Paul is not very "kid friendly" as in there just won't be many other kids around. The skyway is nice, easy to use but I wouldn't want to live there with kids. Young couple/single adult it would be ok though. There aren't any grocery stores in downtown, just an fYi.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM

79 posts, read 222,932 times
I do have kids. I was shooting for the gifted magnet school nearby...... I've got to get down there and walk around!!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM

152 posts, read 289,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Don't you have kids? Downtown St. Paul is not very "kid friendly" as in there just won't be many other kids around. The skyway is nice, easy to use but I wouldn't want to live there with kids. Young couple/single adult it would be ok though. There aren't any grocery stores in downtown, just an fYi.
A Lunds will be opening late next year or early '14 in the Penfield development.

There aren't a lot of children in dt St.P, but there are families living downtown. Wacouta park has a nice childrens play area. There's also another one near the Union Depot.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,731,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet99645 View Post
I do have kids. I was shooting for the gifted magnet school nearby...... I've got to get down there and walk around!!
Just an fyi on that gifted/magnet school....you have to test in to it. For reference my 1st graders are at level P & Q in reading which corresponds to the end of 3rd grade by National testing standards. They just scored 35's (separately, same score, not coincidence according to SPPS) on the test with a minimum of 90 as the entrance scores. This is going to sound like sour grapes but I wanted to see where my "gifted learners" scored. They're excellent piano players, soccer players, advanced readers/learners, citizen of the month winners as classroom leaders & they scored 35s. I asked at parent/teacher conferences what was going on? I was told the test is spacial reasoning (i.e. how would this imaginary box best fit together?) & weighs no other factors. We're happy at Groveland Park (a great school!), with no intentions of leaving & took the test because they're mandatory. The results have me wondering though...35's?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,176,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Just an fyi on that gifted/magnet school....you have to test in to it. For reference my 1st graders are at level P & Q in reading which corresponds to the end of 3rd grade by National testing standards. They just scored 35's (separately, same score, not coincidence according to SPPS) on the test with a minimum of 90 as the entrance scores. This is going to sound like sour grapes but I wanted to see where my "gifted learners" scored. They're excellent piano players, soccer players, advanced readers/learners, citizen of the month winners as classroom leaders & they scored 35s. I asked at parent/teacher conferences what was going on? I was told the test is spacial reasoning (i.e. how would this imaginary box best fit together?) & weighs no other factors. We're happy at Groveland Park (a great school!), with no intentions of leaving & took the test because they're mandatory. The results have me wondering though...35's?
Actually, this is a perfect example of what gifted is not, gifted isn't just being a "good student", gifted is more about how they process the information they receive. Truly gifted students process information differently. Unfortunately our schools have turned "gifted" education into what we used to just called "advanced". A 1st grader reading at a 3rd grade level is very common for most average to advanced students around here. Reading at grade level is the MINIMUM requirement to move along in the schools, something most parents don't understand. The gifted kid would not only read at a higher level, usually, they would have 20 ways of rewriting the book while they are reading the book. There are a LOT of REALLY smart kids out there that are not truly gifted. I wouldn't sweat it.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,446,635 times
I always found the St Paul skyway system kinda creepy. You could walk for ages and never see another person but sometimes hear people in the distance without knowing which part they were in. I usually walked outside to get around downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul