Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM

27 posts, read 40,699 times

Advertisements

Thank you! We have lived in some large cities, like Atlanta and Dallas, but we are relocating from Milwaukee. The only reason we are sticking to the areas I mentioned above is because we have to move in a short period of time and we literally have no familiarity at all about Minneapolis. I guess it just feels easier to stick to Edina, and the surrounding areas, as a starting point. I greatly appreciate the feedback. Without it I would be totally out of my element. Any suggestions on the top 5 things I need to know about the city? Are there good newcomers groups or mommy groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny.denver View Post
Thank you! We have lived in some large cities, like Atlanta and Dallas, but we are relocating from Milwaukee. The only reason we are sticking to the areas I mentioned above is because we have to move in a short period of time and we literally have no familiarity at all about Minneapolis. I guess it just feels easier to stick to Edina, and the surrounding areas, as a starting point. I greatly appreciate the feedback. Without it I would be totally out of my element. Any suggestions on the top 5 things I need to know about the city? Are there good newcomers groups or mommy groups?
As Edina borders Minneapolis, I'd say that Minneapolis would certainly be a "surrounding area". The city of Edina and that area of Minneapolis (SW) blend right into each other. If you don't know where the official boundary is, you certainly wouldn't be able to tell.

Of course I'm not saying you shouldn't look at Edina and other surrounding suburbs, but that area of Minneapolis surely won't disappoint either.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
If you live in Edina you will have surface street commutes and basically no traffic to and from work. Same thing if you live in Bloominton, West Bloomington, surface street commutes. It will be somewhat busy getting across 494 on say Penn, France, etc. but not bad.

I am going to guess that his office will be on the Bren Rd/169 area since that is the major industrial park in Edina. The residential areas near there that would give you surface commutes are all going to be fine, especially for a rental. The trick is finding a house to rent in Edina that will take a dog.

You will want to sign up for the Early Childhood Family Education classes as soon as you get here. Every school district has one, run through the Park and Recreation Department. Info will be online. They are parenting "classes" where the kids play with other kids in one room and the parents meet in another to discuss parenting issues. It is a FANTASTIC way to meet people.

Something else to consider, Edina isn't a very "young" area. There is a very good chance you could move into a neighborhood and your child will be the youngest by a lot. That's good for babysitters, not so good for playing outside with friends. West Bloomington is going to be as old, if not older. You will probably have a little better luck in Eden Prairie for finding younger families.

Depending on how far your husband is willing to commute, you may want to explore some areas a bit outside of Edina. Chaska would be one area I would suggest. The commute in from Chaska will be pretty easy with the new 212 and the community is significantly younger than you will find in Edina/Bloomington/Eden Prairie.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If you live in Edina you will have surface street commutes and basically no traffic to and from work. Same thing if you live in Bloominton, West Bloomington, surface street commutes. It will be somewhat busy getting across 494 on say Penn, France, etc. but not bad.

I am going to guess that his office will be on the Bren Rd/169 area since that is the major industrial park in Edina. The residential areas near there that would give you surface commutes are all going to be fine, especially for a rental. The trick is finding a house to rent in Edina that will take a dog.

You will want to sign up for the Early Childhood Family Education classes as soon as you get here. Every school district has one, run through the Park and Recreation Department. Info will be online. They are parenting "classes" where the kids play with other kids in one room and the parents meet in another to discuss parenting issues. It is a FANTASTIC way to meet people.

Something else to consider, Edina isn't a very "young" area. There is a very good chance you could move into a neighborhood and your child will be the youngest by a lot. That's good for babysitters, not so good for playing outside with friends. West Bloomington is going to be as old, if not older. You will probably have a little better luck in Eden Prairie for finding younger families.

Depending on how far your husband is willing to commute, you may want to explore some areas a bit outside of Edina. Chaska would be one area I would suggest. The commute in from Chaska will be pretty easy with the new 212 and the community is significantly younger than you will find in Edina/Bloomington/Eden Prairie.
There are tons of kids in Edina, hence the 4-5 public elementry schools in the city. Some areas would be less young than others though, particularly super wealthy areas (despite public misperception, not all of Edina is "super wealthy"). A good Edina n'hood for you to consider looking for rentals is the area bounded by Xerxes and France Aves, Hwy. 62 and 56th St.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
There are tons of kids in Edina, hence the 4-5 public elementry schools in the city. Some areas would be less young than others though, particularly super wealthy areas (despite public misperception, not all of Edina is "super wealthy"). A good Edina n'hood for you to consider looking for rentals is the area bounded by Xerxes and France Aves, Hwy. 62 and 56th St.
4 elementary schools for 47,000 people is not a "ton", which is the point. Chaska has 4 elementary school for 27,000 people and if you compare Chaska/Chanhassen the total size is about the same as Edina and they have 7 elementary schools not including the 3 private elementary schools. Eagan at 65,000 people has 17 elementary schools.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
4 elementary schools for 47,000 people is not a "ton", which is the point. Chaska has 4 elementary school for 27,000 people and if you compare Chaska/Chanhassen the total size is about the same as Edina and they have 7 elementary schools not including the 3 private elementary schools. Eagan at 65,000 people has 17 elementary schools.
There's still a lot of kids, so I don't see your point.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
Because Bloomington and Edina are adjecent cities and there are easy access to freeeway/highway the drive won't be that bad. 494 can be busy specially during rushhours but you won't be on it for too long. If you choose not to hop on high way 494 there might be secondary roads/alternative route such as Portland ave/66 st.??

Get your self a green t-shirt and you would fit right in with Edina.
Might be helpful to acquire a taste for cake, also.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:04 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Golfgal is dealing with an outdated understanding of the demographics of Edina. Her perception of the city is perhaps 10-15 years behind the current situation. While Edina will not have kids in every family of the city, as a newly developed suburb might, plenty of neighborhoods are turning over from their owners in the 70s and 80s and younger families are moving in. This is exactly what is happening in my neighborhood in southwest Minneapolis. With 18.8% of its population aged 14 and under, Edina is not at all "old" in the context of the surrounding communities of Minnetonka (18.7%), Bloomington (16.8%), and St. Louis Park (15.9%). You should know that golfgal lives in Rosemount which is not all near Edina, while west336 has more personal experience with the area you're considering.http://censtats.census.gov/cgi-bin/pct/pctProfile.pl

Last edited by Glenfield; 03-16-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Anything in Southwest Minneapolis would also be very convenient (and very safe, family-friendly, lots of kids, etc.) Same thing with the adjacent neighborhoods in St. Louis Park. And of course Edina itself is the obvious place to start!

What kind of neighborhood do you like? Some of the suggestions have been all over the place, but whether or not you LIKE the areas mentioned will depend on what you like in a neighborhood. Personally I'd hate living in Chaska, for example, but obviously others like it. The nice thing about Edina is that it's fairly centrally located and has nice, safe, convenient neighborhoods of ALL types with easy commuting distance, so you can be more specific about your preferences (including whether things like sidewalks matter, if you like historic or brand-new neighborhoods, etc.) the more we can give you some specific targeted suggestions.

Edina itself has a whole range of places. Beware that some areas might be a bit more snobby than others -- you don't hear complaints about "Edina moms" for nothing. (I mostly hear those complaints from people who live IN Edina, but they claim there is definitely still a certain element of that, although it's going to depend on neighborhood). I wouldn't let that scare me away, and with your price range you'll probably be in a less social-climber type neighborhood, anyway.

I agree with Glenfield that some of the Edina perceptions on this thread are a bit outdated.

I'd also echo West's suggestion of neighborhood, but would also suggest that you expand your search into the Minneapolis side of Xerxes (including neighborhoods like Armatage, Kenny, Lynnhurst, Fulton, Linden Hills); the schools are equally good in both areas, but the Minneapolis side has sidewalks and seem to have more kids than Edina. Those areas all run together, though, and if you find a place you like I would not let formal city boundary bother you. Edina has lower property taxes, but that won't matter as a renter.

I will also echo Golfgal's suggestion to participate in ECFE. Edina has classes, or if you end up in SW Minneapolis there's a great ECFE program at Kenny School (in Kenny neighborhood). The other 'burbs all have them, too. They are excellent. The local parks all also have a lot of good programming and chances to meet other families. There's also a bunch of parent groups; check meet-up or the local MOMS club.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
We moved here a few years ago - my suggestion would be look in the Linden Hills area of Minneapolis; the eastern portion of St Louis Park (Fern Hill; Minikahda Vista); Northeastern portion of Edina and Richfield. I think of all those Edina would be my last choice - although the France and 50th area is cute - though a bit too busy for pedestrian - but keep in mind that borders on Minneapolis also.

I admittedly am not a fan of the outer suburbs such as Eagan, Eden Prairie, Chaska, Maple Grove - all very nice, but I like being close to Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul