Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM

11 posts, read 37,197 times

Advertisements

Hi all. A few years ago my family and I settled in Roseville. My husband and I are now both employed on the U of MN St. Paul Campus and are considering a move to St. Anthony Park. We LOVE the neighborhood and have heard great things about the elementary school (we have two elementary age children). I'm starting to do some research on middle and high schools in the St. Paul School district and there are so many options (charter, private, public)- it is a bit overwhelming! I'm not one who believes test scores tell the whole story, but my only experiences have been with suburban schools. Most importantly I'm looking for a school with a high degree of parental involvement. I'd appreciate some suggestions of middle and high schools to investigate.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 AM

134 posts, read 338,731 times
Some of our friends have children at Murray Junior High and they are very happy with the school. They are both doctors and are very involved parents- so I believe that they researched their choice carefully and have been very happy there. For high school, Central is considered the top program- but they are also the largest school. The IB program is excellent- but not the only option, as there are many AP classes as well. Central is very well-considered when it comes to college placement.
Capitol Hill Magnet school goes through 8th grade. Your children would have to test in to the school to be accepted. The parents are very, very involved (almost too much in my opinion!). Capitol now feeds into Highland Senior High- which is also a good high school, but not as large as Central. We live close to Highland, so are sending our kids there and are very happy with it.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM

79 posts, read 224,041 times
Very interested in this thread, and also want to hear more from the OP if you end up moving!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the info. The more I look into it the more I feel comfortable we will find a good place for our kids if this move happens. It's good to hear your friends have been happy with thier experiences at Murray Junior High. I have to admit, although I've never put too much weight into test scores alone, when I saw Murray had a greatschools.com rating of 4 it did make me wonder. Any one else have experiences with Murray? Capital Hill Magnet looks interesting, not sure both my kids would test in there. Anyone have thoughts the private school Hill Murray?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie10 View Post
Thanks for the info. The more I look into it the more I feel comfortable we will find a good place for our kids if this move happens. It's good to hear your friends have been happy with thier experiences at Murray Junior High. I have to admit, although I've never put too much weight into test scores alone, when I saw Murray had a greatschools.com rating of 4 it did make me wonder. Any one else have experiences with Murray? Capital Hill Magnet looks interesting, not sure both my kids would test in there. Anyone have thoughts the private school Hill Murray?
Hill Murray is a great school, one of the best in the metro. I would send my kids there before I sent them to any St. Paul schools.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet99645 View Post
Very interested in this thread, and also want to hear more from the OP if you end up moving!
We ended up moving to SAP and couldn't be happier. The neighborhood and school is everything we were hoping for!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 PM

413 posts, read 763,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Hill Murray is a great school, one of the best in the metro. I would send my kids there before I sent them to any St. Paul schools.
It's also way out in Maplewood/Oakdale. Not real convenient.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
I absolutely love the St Anthony Park area & think you've really done well with your choice. It reminds me a lot of Linden Hills in Mpls with it's quaint business district, great park, awesome school & involved parents. I've been looking at that area myself & would send my kids to St Anthony Park Elementary, then Murray Jr High or try to get into St Anthony Village Middle School (St. Anthony Middle School - St. Anthony, Minnesota - MN - School overview) & then either St Paul Central (your default school & considered one of the top academic schools in the state) or I'd look into getting us on the list for St Anthony Village High School (St. Anthony Village High School in ST. ANTHONY, MN | Best High Schools | US News). I don't know how that works exactly, but I know some of the kids living in NE Mpls have managed their way into there instead of attending Mpls Edison so I believe there is a way? It's also closer to St Anthony Village High than to St Paul Central from your area. Some things to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul