Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 35,121 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating from nursing school this December and starting to look for jobs. I go to school at the University of Iowa, and am originally from Des Moines, IA. I'm looking to branch out and live away from home for a while and am looking into Chicago, Minneapolis, or Kansas City. I'm 24 and single, and looking for a place where it would be easy to meet new people. Also I want to move to a place where there is a lot to do and you cannot get bored.

I think I want to work in labor and delievery, but also like the NICU and the emergency department. I don't really know that much about the hospitals in Minneapolis and want to make sure that I am not looking into a hospital that is in a bad part of the city. Also I don't know much about the cost of living in Minneapolis, and the salaries of a starting RN with a BSN.

Please give me some insight into Minneapolis and a nursing career for a new grad. Any other information you might have for someone who is "leaving the nest" for the first time, I would greatly appreciate it. I just had a mental breakdown today and feel like I really need to start making some decisions, and get off the fence.

Thanks so much,
Megan

Last edited by msutherl; 09-11-2007 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,549,319 times
Minneapolis will give you what you are looking for. It is impossible to get bored here. A variety of cultural opportunities, outdoor activities, et. cetera.. It is more cosmopolitan than Kansas City, and less overwhelming than Chicago. There are plenty of good hsopitals here. North Memorial and Hennepin Co. Med. Center (HCMC) get patients from bad parts of the cities. You wouldn't be in danger as a nurse as the parts of the city these are in aren't dangerous themselves.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:32 PM

98 posts, read 510,275 times
A new grad with a BSN will start at 27 to 28 an hour with about a 4 dollar night differential at all of the major hospitals.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,200,931 times
The twin cities metro area is one of the higher paying markets for nurses. You can live very comfortably as a single person on the starting salary you will earn at any of the hospitals in the Twin Cities. Some hospitals to start looking at are United in St. Paul, North Memorial Medical Center and Hennepin County Medical Center. They have the most 'advanced' Labor and Delivery departments in the metro and they are probably the 3 largest hospitals.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 AM

48 posts, read 243,764 times
Megan - I think you would really like Minneapolis. I moved up here 2 and half years ago from Milwaukee (I went to Marquette) and love this city! It's a step up in terms of population, things to do, etc from Des Moines and Milwaukee. But at the same time, it's not as overwhelming as Chicago. Minneapolis is really easy to get around, there are endless things to do, and a lot of great people. Take a look at the thread "Top 5 Pros and Cons of Minneapolis area" (it's about halfway down the front page). This gives a great summary of the highlights/lowlights of the area. My pros are:

1) Summers - everyone is happy and outside b/c they've been waiting all winter for it
2) Sporting events - always a game to go to. New outdoor downtown Twins stadium coming in '09 and new Gophers outdoor campus stadium
3) Airport - easy to get through and not that crowded
4) Big city without all the problems such as traffic. Easy to get around and there is always something new to do here!
5) State Fair
6) Different places to go out depending on what night you're looking for - downtown, uptown, Northeast, St. Paul, burbs
7) Lakes, specifically Calhoun, Harriot, and Isles

Let me know if you need anything. I remember what it was like first coming here, not knowing anyone or what to expect. Good luck on your decision!

Adam

Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 PM

638 posts, read 3,119,443 times
As a "seasoned" nurse working in the Twin Cities, I have to correct golfgals' list of the biggest hospitals. Abbott Northwestern, Fairview University, and (I think) HCMC are the 3 biggest hospitals in the Twin Cities.

As a new grad, L&D would be a great place to start out. I really don't think that many NICU's hire new grads right out of school; but get a year of L&D under your belt and then you can apply for an opening there.

Oh, and welcome to Nursing, BTW! It is one of the most interesting and challenging jobs you will ever love and hate; often in the same minute! I've been an RN for almost 40 years and am still in love with this job!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:12 PM

132 posts, read 576,074 times
Hi there Megan,
I just moved from kansas City myself so I can give you a little info on that if you choose that town. However, I think you would love it in the Twin cities and you would be paid better here even taking into account the lower cost of living in KC. I also feel Twin Cities has a much more vibrant singles scene than KC. I am in St. Louis Park, which is a pretty nice town bordering Minneapolis on the west side, and it seems to be very popular with professionals your age. It's also a relatively short trip from here to most places in Minneapolis.
I have no experience with Chicago, other than hearing that young people who grow up in Minneapolis venture to Chicago if they want to live in a bigger city. My uncle here has both his children attending college there now.
My mother was an RN and originally got her degree from U of MN right here in Minneapolis. I wish you an exciting and fulfilling career!

Old 09-19-2007, 10:50 AM

459 posts, read 2,224,704 times
I'm from the Twin Cities originally, but moved to Des Moines a few years ago. On the cost of living issue - You can expect housing to easily cost double compared to what you may be accoustomed to in Des Moines. Food, clothing, and other necessities are pretty much the same between the two cities. Taxes are also about the same - unless your looking to buy a home, property taxes are quite a bit higher in Des Moines.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,978,247 times
[i]. I'm looking to branch out and live away from home for a while and am looking into Chicago, Minneapolis, or Kansas City. I'm 24 and single, and looking for a place where it [/I]would be easy to meet new people. Also I want to move to a place where there is a lot to do and you cannot get bored.

I love the Twin Cities and made it my home after I married in Chicago 30 years ago. I think Chicago is better for single people as the Twin Cities is very family oriented with more houses than apartments. There is more to do in Chicago and you won't get bored. I would recommend Chicago. Minneapolis and St. Paul are more small-town like than Chicago.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:13 PM

58 posts, read 230,403 times
Yes, I agree with the previous post. Chicago is better for single people, most definitely.
You will be making a good living in minneapolis (it does pay competitive salaries), but you will be bored out of your mind!!

Minneapolis is somewhat uneventful, boring, good standard of living, clean and family oriented. Chicago is not as clean but more fun. I have spent a significant amount of time in Chicago for work and i dated someone from there. It's got character and flavor for young people. Minneapolis does NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul