Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
There was a year, I believe it was 2004, where I only worked 9 months out of the year, when I actually did my state tax return here, I actually owed the state tax! I was in shock, how the hell can you work 3 quarters out of the year and owe the state tax!! The tax burden here is unbelievable!!

How many months you work has nothing to do with this. Everyone is in a certain tax bracket and if you withholdings don't keep up with that you are going to owe. You also rent so you don't really have any deductions. You don't have any dependents either so that also hurts your deductions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 06:12 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
How many months you work has nothing to do with this. Everyone is in a certain tax bracket and if you withholdings don't keep up with that you are going to owe. You also rent so you don't really have any deductions. You don't have any dependents either so that also hurts your deductions.
Well renters still get get the renters rebate, works out pretty nice for me. For two years straight I owed the state (only about $20 a pop) and I couldn't figure out how that was possible, then the third year (all three years with the same employer) I got a refund of almost $400. So I dunno....

Old 09-17-2007, 10:12 PM

355 posts, read 2,403,019 times
Thumbs down wtf?

What? That is a pretty heavy assumption to make, don't you think? I'm just saying like it is, sorry if you wanted me to sugarcoat it. There is a TON of people on here who feel the same way about ILLEGAL immigrants. I'm not racist at all. Nothing about my comment was meant to be offensive. You're reading between the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
But you sound racist. Just say you didn't fit in. That's like when people say "no offense but." Yeah right, you knew you were being offensive.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:39 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
What? That is a pretty heavy assumption to make, don't you think? I'm just saying like it is, sorry if you wanted me to sugarcoat it. There is a TON of people on here who feel the same way about ILLEGAL immigrants. I'm not racist at all. Nothing about my comment was meant to be offensive. You're reading between the lines.
You knew it would be offensive, that's why you said "no offense." If it weren't meant to be you wouldn't even think about saying it.

"No offense, but your ass is too wide," or "No offense, but your wife is really ugly." Huh... nope, I didn't really mean to offend you when I said it, that's why I told you not to take offense.

Just say what you mean. You don't like living in the same apartment with illegal immigrants.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 PM

123 posts, read 571,214 times
Around 1980, former St. Paul Mayor George Latimer said something like this: The difference between the Twin Cities is that Minneapolis has am-bi-ANCE, and St. Paul has AM-bi-ance.

I lived there for 15 years, during the 70s & 80s, and I loved the way the two cities complemented each other.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
[quote=kuan;1501475]Oh Rice Park, definitely Rice Park.[/QUOTE]

That's a joke, right???

Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 AM

58 posts, read 230,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There are plenty of states, entire STATES, that make you prepay for gas--or they don't let you pump your own. Yes, there are parts of Minneapolis and St. Paul that are not as well kept as the suburbs but that certainly doesn't make it a ghetto. Have you looked at housing prices in St. Paul (Mac/Groveland, Highland Park, Summit Ave--very ghetto). Another thing about St. Paul, there may be some neighborhoods with less expensive housing, but the property taxes are very high making that house more expensive then a comparable house in Eagan.

Highland Park, Summit , ghetto???? This is crazy! Yes another reason why you should not be allowed to be a mediator at this forum. And for the record, DO NOT REMOVE other people's posts just because you do not agree with their opinion. I've already convinced myself that you don't make sense.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushigirlie View Post
Highland Park, Summit , ghetto???? This is crazy! Yes another reason why you should not be allowed to be a mediator at this forum. And for the record, DO NOT REMOVE other people's posts just because you do not agree with their opinion. I've already convinced myself that you don't make sense.
You are so angry!! People's idea of what is ghetto is quite relative. I lived in East Saint Paul for a few months, during a transitional period of my life and I can say that I would NEVER live in that part of town, not even if you paid my rent. With that being said, there is people that live in East St Paul and think it is just fine. It all comes down to your standards and perceptions. Lets agree to disagree.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
[quote=sushigirlie;1538956]Highland Park, Summit , ghetto???? This is crazy! Yes another reason why you should not be allowed to be a mediator at this forum. And for the record, DO NOT REMOVE other people's posts just because you do not agree with their opinion. I've already convinced myself that you don't make sense.[/QUOTE]

Golfgal was making a point with sarcasm.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 AM

35 posts, read 144,184 times
Dallas is a fun city and there are definitely things I miss about the short time I lived in Texas, mainly how friendly and inclusive Texans are and how easy it is to make friends there, the relatively inexpensive cost of living and how laid back and down to earth most of Texas seems to be. That said, Minnesota is definitely more my cup of tea. It doesn't have the blast furnace heat of Texas, I love the trees and the change of seasons. I guess what it boils down to is what it is you want here that you're not getting that you will get in Dallas. Given how cheap real estate in Texas is, you might be able to have the best of both worlds. You could live here most of the year, but buy a small, inexpensive condo in Dallas that you could escape to during vacations or when shoveling the snow in subzero weather is just too much to face. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul