Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:52 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Prepaid pumps....hey, atleast we can pump our own gas here. Go to other states/countries and you can only get services by an attendant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM

66 posts, read 247,073 times
Most states you can pump your own gas. Not being able to is one of the things I despise about oregon. It's so damn annoying because the lazy attendants will let you sit there for five or more minutes after you're done. If I'm in a hurry I usually get pissed and put it back myself.

It's interesting this thread turned into dallas vs. minneapolis, those are the two places I'm considering moving to now. I wonder how much worse dallas really is after katrina though, could it have changed that much? The last time I really spent time in dallas was 2003 and I loved it - thought it looked like a nice clean calm place to live. Then I visited earlier this year and it seemed like a really bleak desolate place with a lot of closed stores and empty lots etc.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:15 PM

751 posts, read 1,177,685 times
I was in Dallas a couple months ago and Dallas is getting worse in my opinion. Crime is really high and I am leaning more towards Houston now. Houston also took a lot of Katrina people, but it is still a nice city, I find Houston a better city than Dallas, in terms of things to do, much more diverse and it is much more cosmopolitan in my opinion, not to mention that you are only 45 minutes from Galveston. If you can choose Minneapolis, by all means, but the cost of living here is pretty high. Average homes in Houston can be bought for 100-120K, same house here in Minneapolis would cost almost twice as much. I would pick Minneapolis first, then Houston and Dallas last.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:59 PM

30 posts, read 97,141 times

Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 PM

66 posts, read 247,073 times
I would probably pick dallas, houston, then minneapolis all else being equal. But it also has to do with job opportunities. I just like the atmosphere in dallas unless it's really gotten that bad.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:01 PM

751 posts, read 1,177,685 times
Downtown Dallas on a Saturday afternoon, I observed tons of homeless people, of the "crackhead" type, laying by the entrance of some of the buildings downtown. Riding the light rail, I came across many people asking for money, I could safely assume that many of those people are from Louisiana. Dallas has this glitzy feel to it, but there is also an underclass of "ghetto undesirables" that is growing fast too. The ironic thing about Dallas is that, it is a place that offers a lot of opportunities in terms of employment, education etc but there is a large underclass that remains poor, ignorant and unemployed. I would take a trip there or several trips before moving.

Last edited by lukeache; 10-05-2007 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM

58 posts, read 230,707 times
Well, i think we somehow gradually deviated from the initial theme of this thread. Which is, what are our thoughts on Minneapolis...

I've already mentioned that it's a Minnesota-nice (not real), cold place to live. Which is good for families (as long as you don't mind 5 months of winter) and sucks for young people.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:22 AM

120 posts, read 470,556 times
Default Moving back to Minneapolis!

I currently live in Dever,Co. It's Sunday morning here October 21 and it's 30 degrees and SNOWING. Yes, the sun is more plentiful here but I miss the vibrantcy and progressiveness of Minneapolis. Denver doesn't have that!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM

81 posts, read 295,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushigirlie View Post
I've already mentioned that it's a Minnesota-nice (not real), cold place to live. Which is good for families (as long as you don't mind 5 months of winter) and sucks for young people.
Minnesota-nice is real but if you expect Minnesotans to become your best friend......its not going to happen, they aren't naive. Minnesotans or Midwesterners in general like their privacy but are willing to lend a hand.
as for it being a "cold place to live" Miami is a hot place to live.......whats your point, its the climate, and it can't be that bad if 5.2 million people live in the state
and as far as it sucking for young people? just saying that doesn't make it fact. Minneapolis has as many things to do as any other play in the country. Tons of theater, a plethora of museums for children's to art and history, a bonanza of shopping (all tastes from downtown to uptown), an amazing park systems, hordes of bike paths, planetarium, music venues, an airport with the 2nd most destination cities in the world, two distinct core cities, a sizable and growing minority population
somehow, i think you're pretty off with our pointless statements

Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 PM

21 posts, read 56,198 times
I am moving tomorrow from Dallas/Ft. Worth to St. Paul. My take is this is Dallas/Ft. Worth suffered with all the hurricane refugees and I think both cities are in a decline. I also think warmer climate cities just have more crime in general, becuase the weather is better.

In the seven years I lived in Texas I learned to appreciate the TV show "King of the Hill", a realize it is so flat you can watch your dog run away for three days, unless he is a really big dog, then you can watch him for seven days. I also learned that I can always put another sweater on, drink more warm drinks and I an warm up in cold climates ( I am from the Chicago area) However I never could cool off in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul