Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,418 times

Advertisements

Good question, with the best answer being YMMV, I think. My last two places have been around 1,800sf, and I think for 2 parents/2 kids I'd want at least that much, maybe a touch more. Depends also how much entertaining you do and what kind, as well. Since having a kiddo, we have grandparents visiting at least once or twice a month, as well, so its nice to have some room for them, without disrupting our day-to-day space either.

Layout makes a huge difference, too. Our current place has a third bedroom, laundry in the hallway closet, and a completely open first floor, and feels larger than the (similar sf) last place that had a seperate basement laundry room, only two bedrooms, and a longer, narrower design.

No interest in cleaning a 3,000 sf house for me, although it can be easier to clean a house big enough to fit everything into than a small house where things are falling out of cupboards and shelves. Which also bring up the point that I don't want to accumulate 3,000sf worth of stuff to deal with every time I move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Good question, with the best answer being YMMV, I think. My last two places have been around 1,800sf, and I think for 2 parents/2 kids I'd want at least that much, maybe a touch more. Depends also how much entertaining you do and what kind, as well. Since having a kiddo, we have grandparents visiting at least once or twice a month, as well, so its nice to have some room for them, without disrupting our day-to-day space either.

Layout makes a huge difference, too. Our current place has a third bedroom, laundry in the hallway closet, and a completely open first floor, and feels larger than the (similar sf) last place that had a seperate basement laundry room, only two bedrooms, and a longer, narrower design.

No interest in cleaning a 3,000 sf house for me, although it can be easier to clean a house big enough to fit everything into than a small house where things are falling out of cupboards and shelves. Which also bring up the point that I don't want to accumulate 3,000sf worth of stuff to deal with every time I move.
Or, as the kids get older, have them help with the cleaning. The only thing that I don't like about cleaning this house is how much carpet we have. The plan is to put in wood floors within the next year or so. That will lessen the work quite a bit. Storage really is the issue though. Doesn't matter how big your house is, if you don't have a place to put stuff, it always looks messy.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:45 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,115,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm2010 View Post
I think I will get a wide range of answers on this one, but I'm just curious what others think. When buying a home, how many square feet would be ideal for a family of four? (Two parents and two children.) Let's say you would be buying the home when the children are small and planning on staying at least 20 years.
I would say 1500 if you are not going to have any more.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:17 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,250 times
Great points being made...the smaller numbers such as mine likely assume little to no entertaining or overnight guests, and assume less personal belongings to store. Also consider if you have items such as a garage, shed, basement or attic that could be used for some storage.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,150,328 times
We have 4000 sq foot in our Andover home. With 4 people, that is more room than we need but I like an open floor plan and larger bedrooms. Even with 2 people, I like to have at least 2500 sq foot (I need 2 offices, a large kitchen (I like to cook), and a guest bedroom. That automatically means a 2500 sq foot home. We are empty nesters now so we probably will be selling it sooner than later because 4000 sq foot is officially too much for 2 people.

Re: cleaning. There are areas of the home with heavy traffic as well as light traffic. Some rooms may not need deep cleaning for weeks while other areas need to be vacuumed twice a week (we have two Golden's). We use to have a cleaner for years. Less kids == less mess. We don't have the need for a cleaner any longer.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 PM

145 posts, read 324,481 times
I got by fine growing up in a 1100 square foot home, 3 bedroom 1 bath with a half the basement finished. But as others have said what used to be luxuries are now "essentials" so YMMV. I still live in the house, now with a porch and deck but an unfinished basement and 2 people instead of 4 and it seems "about right".

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 78,206 times
I would say 1500 to 1800 sq ft would be ideal for our family of four. Any more than 2000 I would not care to clean and maintain. Our current house is around 1300 and I could do with a bit more space. The layout of our current place is fantastic though so really I'd like what we have now with slightly larger rooms and an extra bathroom. Layout is more important than square feet, as others have said.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,667,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our house now is 3600 sq feet and is a bit big but it had features we wanted when we bought.
My house is 2400 and too big. It costs a LOT to heat, especially with Xcel raising gas and electric rates pretty much yearly. We two bedrooms downstairs that aren't used much, and a guest bedroom upstairs (plus our bedroom and the kid's bedroom). Having three bedrooms on the same level is nice. If we moved, that's one thing I would definitely look for.

Then again, we'll probably only have one kid. The idea of needing a guest bedroom, I think, is a joke. You could buy a smaller house. Then you could pay for your guests to stay at a hotel with the money you save and still come out way ahead. And you don't have to deal with house guests!

As far as storage goes...well, everyone does need storage. But even with the massive amount of storage space we have, most of it has gone unused since I threw out a ton of junk last year. I would guess that a large portion of what people store is unneeded and they could easily do without it. Why did we need halloween wigs from ten years ago?

If your place is the neighborhood hangout, that's cool, but not everyone wants to pay for all the extra space required to do that. (Not to mention property taxes for a larger house.)

3600 sq ft is like adding another whole story to my already huge house. I can't imagine that. I like to look at house listings, and I see all these absolutely gigantic houses being built. What does a person do with five beds/baths? Why would someone need three family rooms? Why an additional dining area? How much are you willing to pay in order to impress someone?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
My house is 2400 and too big. It costs a LOT to heat, especially with Xcel raising gas and electric rates pretty much yearly. We two bedrooms downstairs that aren't used much, and a guest bedroom upstairs (plus our bedroom and the kid's bedroom). Having three bedrooms on the same level is nice. If we moved, that's one thing I would definitely look for.

Then again, we'll probably only have one kid. The idea of needing a guest bedroom, I think, is a joke. You could buy a smaller house. Then you could pay for your guests to stay at a hotel with the money you save and still come out way ahead. And you don't have to deal with house guests!

As far as storage goes...well, everyone does need storage. But even with the massive amount of storage space we have, most of it has gone unused since I threw out a ton of junk last year. I would guess that a large portion of what people store is unneeded and they could easily do without it. Why did we need halloween wigs from ten years ago?

If your place is the neighborhood hangout, that's cool, but not everyone wants to pay for all the extra space required to do that. (Not to mention property taxes for a larger house.)

3600 sq ft is like adding another whole story to my already huge house. I can't imagine that. I like to look at house listings, and I see all these absolutely gigantic houses being built. What does a person do with five beds/baths? Why would someone need three family rooms? Why an additional dining area? How much are you willing to pay in order to impress someone?
Well, we have 4 bedrooms and 5 people living here. We don't have 3 family rooms or an extra dining room. We have overnight company, a lot, and we have a lot of the kids' friends over all the time. Wait until you have 3 kids and then come back and tell me how functional your house is at 1100 sq feet...

Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,667,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, we have 4 bedrooms and 5 people living here. We don't have 3 family rooms or an extra dining room. We have overnight company, a lot, and we have a lot of the kids' friends over all the time. Wait until you have 3 kids and then come back and tell me how functional your house is at 1100 sq feet...
Not to be pedantic, but I mentioned that my house is 2400 sq ft, not 1100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul