Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 PM

116 posts, read 343,500 times

Advertisements

I would say Valleyfair! if she doesn't mind serving food or cleaning the park (janitorial). She, only being 16, is limited to work in food service or custodial, etc. To operate the rides, you have to be 18. I worked there in my early 20s while living in that part of the metro. It was a GREAT place to meet people from all over the world. I ended up living in Bogota, Colombia to study Spanish because I knew people there from Valleyfair!. I still keep in contact with people I met there, almost 10 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:54 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
I would say stick with the babysitting/nannying. Do you realize how many parents need a GOOD babysitter/nanny WHO CAN DRIVE? Getting that license ups the income potential BIG TIME, too!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Gas Stations

Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,119 times
SitterCity might be a good spot to look if she wants to nanny or babysit. She may also look into health clubs that offer child care. Beyond the childcare world, anywhere that caters to summer stuff usually hires students--water parks, pools, outdoor restaurants, boat/kayak/bike rental places, parks...

Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Check with the local parks; the park system hires teens for various things. Also call the local Minneapolis community education offices (run through the school district). Some have summer programs and actively hire the younger teens as assistants. In general, think seasonal, and since she has experience working with kids, I'd encourage her to work that angle first. There's lots of programs for children (including local day camps, etc.). Did she go to any summer programs herself when she was a kid? If so, might want to reconnect. The various local Y camps, etc., also might hire 16-year-olds.

She could also just go to the businesses in your neighborhood (or at the mall, or wherever) and ask if hiring. I'd strongly suggest that you stay in the background and let her take the lead on this.

Valleyfair would be a major commute, but I suppose if she has her own car and doesn't mind the trek it could be fun.

Someone mentioned Kowalksi's, and to build on that, I also notice that Lund's has a lot of teenage cashiers.

Later in the summer there's also the State Fair. That would be a nice option if she lands a summer program job that fizzles out at the end of July/early August (as many do; August is a slower month for those sorts of things); I've never worked the fair, but hear that it's an intense but fun job. I wish I'd done it when I was younger!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,445,757 times
Just stop into the major chains and ask to fill out an application. That is what I did when I turned 16. They don't usually have hiring signs but the stores are so large that they are always hiring.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I would say stick with the babysitting/nannying. Do you realize how many parents need a GOOD babysitter/nanny WHO CAN DRIVE? Getting that license ups the income potential BIG TIME, too!
Problem with this is if she has only had her licence for a short time, she can only transport 1 non-related driver.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Problem with this is if she has only had her licence for a short time, she can only transport 1 non-related driver.
Ohhhhh right.....that new rule! Can't say I'm a fan of that rule, but it makes sense safety-wise (at least reduces the potential number of accident victims).

Old 04-09-2012, 02:51 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
At 16, I worked at a Bakery/Coffee shop in South Minneapolis for $5.50/hr. I also worked as a bag boy at a grocery store for $6.75/hr.

At 17, I quite the bakery and started bussing tables for tips, a bit more lurcrative and made close to $100/week in tips, plus min wage ($5.25/hr).

At 18, I started serving food for even more tips ($300 - $500/week in tips) plus min wage ($5.25/hr), and worked my way though college based on my high school work experience.

Tips are key!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul