Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Well there's no excuse for this if true! Crime is crime & the law should apply to everyone equally regardless of color.

As a side note, I work right by the Ramsey County Courthouse & it's amazing to see so many people show up to their day in court in saggy pants, baseball cap cocked to the side, sports jerseys, smoking weed in the parking lot across the street, etc. The running joke when we see these idiots on their way in is...."GUILTY!". Even if you're a gangster, have the common sense to wear a shirt & tie to your court date. It says to the judge..."There's still a chance for me your honor" as opposed to "I don't respect your courtroom bitc*!".
Crime is crime and the law should never be applied in a biased manner in terms of race. However, there bias in punishments, sentencing, and other stuff often happens.

I never seen such events before. I think part of it is because I've only been to court one time, and that was because I was testifying against someone who jumped and robbed me. I went to court dressed up because I thought that was common custom to do so(plus, a dress shirt and khakis is what I normally wear).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
It's a shame (Most black people I know agree) that black kids who speak intelligible English, get good grades & aim to be a normal part of mainstream society take this "acting white" crap from the lower rungs. Maybe that's why so many normal, working, black parents get their kids to the suburbs ASAP?
And sometimes some Black kids will experience this in the suburbs. I know that when I got to high school(in the exurban areas outside of Atlanta), I caught some of the "acting white" crap from the lower rungs. Even stranger, there were a few White kids who said I reminded them of "Carlton Banks", as if it was suppose to be funny. One girl, who happened to be White, would often call me "white boy".

On that note, the last sentence you wrote was part of the point I try to stress. There are many normal, hardworking Black parents who don't want their children around bad influences. They don't want their kids around "flash mobs" and the like. It's part of the reason I have some concerns about backlash.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
From the friends we have that teach in Minneapolis, they report that most of the kids self segregate in the schools there. You don't see a lot of 'mixing' of groups. In the suburbs, there is very little segregation by the color of your skin. You don't get any of this "acting white" stuff here. Most of the kids hang around kids that are "like" them, and like meaning being involved in the same activities, in the same classes, etc. The color of your skin is meaningless, as it should be. It's very nice.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 AM

117 posts, read 377,594 times
Minnesota passed the conceal and carry law for a reason. So citizens can defend themselves. The level that some of these assaults are on would qualify in my opinion for deadly force.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:25 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
From the friends we have that teach in Minneapolis, they report that most of the kids self segregate in the schools there. You don't see a lot of 'mixing' of groups. In the suburbs, there is very little segregation by the color of your skin. You don't get any of this "acting white" stuff here. Most of the kids hang around kids that are "like" them, and like meaning being involved in the same activities, in the same classes, etc. The color of your skin is meaningless, as it should be. It's very nice.
Wasn't so meaningless in the Eden Prairie school integration flap. That was pretty nasty, and the comments from some of the parents simply appalling.

(and District 196 got in trouble a few years ago for some illegal school segregation itself, so it's not all sunshine and roses out there in the 'burbs)

Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Wasn't so meaningless in the Eden Prairie school integration flap. That was pretty nasty, and the comments from some of the parents simply appalling.

(and District 196 got in trouble a few years ago for some illegal school segregation itself, so it's not all sunshine and roses out there in the 'burbs)
And the North issue was so much different.

The EP issue was about taking kids ACROSS town to a school not in their neighborhood to force integration. Minneapolis just did the EXACT same thing by going back to neighborhood schools but it is OK there but not in EP, huh??. The 196 schools have not been "in trouble" for any such thing??

Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
This generation didn't invent unemployment. Previous generations have had worse unemployment. But these youth seem to have no character at all. They just want to go "wilding". They look like perfect candidates for some kind of labor camp where they get discipline from outside that they lack from the inside. They need mental help of some kind.
They also have communications technology available to them that was only a dream when I was in high school and college. That's how they can organize so quickly. That wasn't easy to do when I was a kid even we wanted to do it.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just heard some news about an 18 year-old kid from Des Moines,IA, a White kid. He was involved in a drive by shooting and shot a 13 year-old girl. She didn't die, but this is how it turned out. He went to jail, got out on bail, and later went to facebook and bragged about it. Normally, one gets an attempted murder charge for that. From what I know, he has a long arrest record. He didn't even get charged with attempted murder. I have a feeling that if the shooter was Black, the shooter would still be in jail and would be charged with attempted murder.
He should be regardless of race. What the heck?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
He should be regardless of race. What the heck?
I agree with that sentiment. Right now he's a wanted man after bragging about shooting someone.

Violent crimes occur alot in the Black community and the issue does need to be addressed. With that said, violent crime isn't limited to the Black community. It's very high in the Black community, but alot of people forget it isn't only in the Black community.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I agree with that sentiment. Right now he's a wanted man after bragging about shooting someone.

Violent crimes occur alot in the Black community and the issue does need to be addressed. With that said, violent crime isn't limited to the Black community. It's very high in the Black community, but alot of people forget it isn't only in the Black community.
I would take that one step further and say that crime, especially violent crime, is VERY HIGH in the POOR community. I don't know that being black has as much to do with it as being poor and there is a disproportionate number of poor blacks compared to every other race in the US. Violent crime numbers are similar in poor white, poor Asian, poor Hispanic communities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul