Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,213,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekend View Post
Hope some of you are listening to KFAN. Common Man has a state trooper as a guest and asked him about merging in this exact 394/94 spot. He said there is absolutely nothing wrong with using the center lane, and then sliding over to the right lane at the last minute to get on 94-E.
Quote:
Yes, it is basically a zipper merge situation if you want it to be. And it's the best way to do it. If everyone did it, there wouldn't even be a traffic problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurls View Post
What are you talking about dude? The correct way to merge is to zipper merge. It is completely idiotic to sit in a line when there is a another lane. That is the whole point of that lane it was not built to just sit on the sideline.

You are not disobeying a traffic sign in this example the sign is merely informative so you are aware you will need to merge as soon as possible.
Most people don't "zipper merge" there though, they drive up to the front, then come to a complete stop blocking the 394 to 94W exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,847,574 times
I don't like it when people zipper merge when I'm stuck in the sheeple lane because I wasn't thinking far enough in advance to use the alternate lane. Yelling at them when they whiz by me doesn't seem to help at all, so I just sit and plan my revenge in case we meet again.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:38 PM

23 posts, read 39,938 times
Quote:
What are you talking about dude? The correct way to merge is to zipper merge. It is completely idiotic to sit in a line when there is a another lane. That is the whole point of that lane it was not built to just sit on the sideline.

You are not disobeying a traffic sign in this example the sign is merely informative so you are aware you will need to merge as soon as possible.
Brilliant post and 100% correct.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,069,672 times
Drove through Illinois last week, zipper merging is NOT done there at all. Three miles before a construction zone they post a sign that there is construction, 2 1/2 miles they post a sign to "start merging", at 2 miles out, the close the lane and expect the merge to be completed there. It's not efficient at all.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,378,897 times
Quote:
I wish we had driving instructors like you

Old 08-29-2012, 04:26 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,891,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I think YOU need to re-read that link. The FIRST thing it says is: "If a lane is closing due to construction". This situation is not a construction closure.
You are completely wrong here mi chi cbus, every time a traffic expert is on a news program they are pleading with the public to not merge before the lane ends. Wait until the lane ends to merge. Just use common sense when considering it, is it better for a 3 mile stretch of road to be 1 mile of 2 lanes and 2 miles of 1 lane (what you prefer) or 2 miles of 2 lanes and 1 mile of 1 lane (what the experts prefer)? If everyone merges a mile early then a mile of 2 lane road is being completely wasted, as if it didn't exist.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 AM

109 posts, read 187,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
You are completely wrong here mi chi cbus, every time a traffic expert is on a news program they are pleading with the public to not merge before the lane ends. Wait until the lane ends to merge. Just use common sense when considering it, is it better for a 3 mile stretch of road to be 1 mile of 2 lanes and 2 miles of 1 lane (what you prefer) or 2 miles of 2 lanes and 1 mile of 1 lane (what the experts prefer)? If everyone merges a mile early then a mile of 2 lane road is being completely wasted, as if it didn't exist.
I don't understand -- if the public did this with this exit, the 94 west lane would be completely blocked due to the extreme number of people trying to merge into the east lane. I could understand this working if the middle lane continued as 394, but it also serves as the only exit to get onto 94 west.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
State troopers are sometimes posted at exit in the morning to stop the very last minute cut over people because they often come to stop and completely block the 94W exit that would otherwise be clear. Many still pass 1/2 - 3/4 of the line and force their way in though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Are you positive that the State Trooper is pulling people over for that? I wasn't aware of a traffic law prohibiting people from switching lanes, regardless of where the lane change takes place.
Quote:
Yes. I used to take the 394 to I-94W exit every day for my commute and saw the state troopers flag people over right in front of me as they block the I-94W exit while waiting for an opening to cut in the I-94E line. There is a law against impeding the flow of traffic. Nobody can cut in to the front of the I-94E line when it is slow and long without slowing down or completely stopping the people behind them in the I-94W lane that would be clear and flowing fine if they were not blocking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I think this methodology gets thrown out the window when traffic gets backed up past the last exit, because naturally there will be cars entering onto the freeway that need to be in another lane than the far right one and have to force their way over. This commonly happens at that spot on 394 to the cars entering from Penn Ave. Anyway, I'm still not convinced that the State Trooper was pulling people over for trying to switch lanes at the last second. Maybe somebody from law enforcement could speak to this better?
Quote:
Hope some of you are listening to KFAN. Common Man has a state trooper as a guest and asked him about merging in this exact 394/94 spot. He said there is absolutely nothing wrong with using the center lane, and then sliding over to the right lane at the last minute to get on 94-E.
I think I found a better explanation for the state patrol that I used to see pulling people over in this spot on some mornings. I thought of this thread while on a recent drive past and realized that the line changes to double white far back before the split. Anyone that a state trooper could see switch lanes from sitting at the split would have crossed a double white line which is illegal.

Image attached...

Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM

23 posts, read 39,938 times
Quote:
I think I found a better explanation for the state patrol that I used to see pulling people over in this spot on some mornings. I thought of this thread while on a recent drive past and realized that the line changes to double white far back before the split. Anyone that a state trooper could see switch lanes from sitting at the split would have crossed a double white line which is illegal.

Image attached...
Your picture is not of the correct place. Gotta go a little west of that.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Your picture is not of the correct place. Gotta go a little west of that.
You can see the 394/94 split on the far left side of the picture. Anybody trying to get into the backed up 94-E lane at that point would be blocking the 94-W lane and then crossing a double white line if not able to get in before moving farther forward. The next things west are the Dunwoody Blvd and Penn avenue exits.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul