U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM

54 posts, read 231,073 times

Advertisements

We're moving back to Minnesota from Oklahoma next week. After years down here and all across the south, I know I'm going to miss the food. Although I do love my lefse and pickled herring, I'm hoping to find some good ole' southern soul food restaurants in the cities. There are also a few things I'm wondering if I'll be able to find fresh or frozen in MN grocery stores.

1)Okra
2)Sweet potatoes (isn't a yam the same thing in MN lingo?)
3)Catfish
4)Chicken fried steak
5)Alligator (don't judge - it's completely yummy - no, I'm not a hick - it's served in a lot of restaurants here).
6) Peach cobbler (I'm sure they serve this all over - just don't remember ever seeing it anywhere in MN)

There's probably more, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Please let me know what's out there in stores and if there are any good soul food restaurants you know of! Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM

117 posts, read 351,536 times
The soul/southern food scene here is pretty sad.

There is one Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits on Lake Street. Maybe Dixie's on Grand would qualify but there really are no good southern/soul food restaurants around here that I know.

Minneapolis does have a good overall restaurant scene, just poor offerings when it comes to the stuff you mention.

There are a number of Fish Fry Houses that have good catfish and wings. Plus fried okra.

You can get any of the items you mentioned at the grocery store. We shop at Walmart Supercenter and they have sweet potatoes, collards, and a good selection of Zatarains' rices.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM

411 posts, read 920,466 times
By most accounts Big Es has excellent authentic soul food.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:00 PM

1,669 posts, read 5,888,914 times
I saw Okra and Sweet Potatoes (not yams) at Cub Foods today. I believe Costco sells sweet potatoes in bulk.

There is a restaurant in St. Paul called "Soul Food Heaven", I think they offer everything on your list except alligator.

I don't think I have ever seen alligator in a supermarket or on a restaurant menu in MN. I did like a "gator bites" appetizer at a local place when I lived in FL.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
By most accounts Big Es has excellent authentic soul food.

I looked up Big E, but Google says it's permanently closed.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
I saw Okra and Sweet Potatoes (not yams) at Cub Foods today. I believe Costco sells sweet potatoes in bulk.

There is a restaurant in St. Paul called "Soul Food Heaven", I think they offer everything on your list except alligator.

I don't think I have ever seen alligator in a supermarket or on a restaurant menu in MN. I did like a "gator bites" appetizer at a local place when I lived in FL.

Where is "Soul Food Heaven" located? I can't seem to find it on Google. Yes, gator bites are delish.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurls View Post
The soul/southern food scene here is pretty sad.

There is one Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits on Lake Street. Maybe Dixie's on Grand would qualify but there really are no good southern/soul food restaurants around here that I know.

Minneapolis does have a good overall restaurant scene, just poor offerings when it comes to the stuff you mention.

There are a number of Fish Fry Houses that have good catfish and wings. Plus fried okra.

You can get any of the items you mentioned at the grocery store. We shop at Walmart Supercenter and they have sweet potatoes, collards, and a good selection of Zatarains' rices.

Yes, it is a sad southern food seen, as I'm noticing. Do you happen to know the names of any of the fisy fry houses? Catfish and fried okra are probably the most important things to me, southern food wise. Lol.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM

411 posts, read 920,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klhbrown View Post
I looked up Big E, but Google says it's permanently closed.
I believe they reopened with a different name. In any case, there still is a popular soul food place at 18th and Nicollet. I drive by it every day and it is open.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
I believe they reopened with a different name. In any case, there still is a popular soul food place at 18th and Nicollet. I drive by it every day and it is open.

Good to hear! I'll have to drive by and check it out! Thanks!

Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,651,759 times
there are 2 soul food places that i can co sign. but they are in north minneapolis. tahtianna's on 4330 lyndale ave. and el amin fishhouse. thats on w broadway .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul