U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,861,861 times

Advertisements

You can see the SAT data here:
2011 SAT Trends

MN is an ACT state. I believe 72% of seniors take the ACT.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 PM

5,991 posts, read 9,542,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
The sky didn't fall but 35W did. Something which should not occur in a 1st world country at all, much less the best place to live in the entire USA with the best looking men and strongest women, best education system, most literate population with the best quality of life ever known.

I am also in Atlanta which perhaps isn't the greatest frame of reference. MN has GEORGIA beat on a number of quality of life points but I'm not sure that's much to boast about. Education wise, Georgia has stuff like the HOPE scholarships which MN does not have, as well as GT being one of the top 4 engineering schools in the country just behind MIT, Stanford and Berkeley. If a Georgia student has good enough grades, she can get an MIT level education for about a thousand dollars per year, something that is not going to happen at the University of Minnesota measured either by price or quality.

Being #1 is not a bad goal, and once you leave Lake Wobegon, society actually is quite competitive. MN can and should do better than it does, but it's natives are always saying, "why bother?"
Right....there's no competition in MN. People must be SO stupid! Why not come here in droves and show us "the light" and take our money? Ohhhhhhh, because it's not true at all, is it?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 PM

Minnesota does not have the same competitive atmosphere as California or the east coast, that is what I was saying. That's part of the reason it is nice to live in MN. I don't think this is an "out there" viewpoint. Not sure what you're getting at about coming in droves and showing you the light.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 AM

434 posts, read 515,041 times
Young people leave northern Minnesota in droves and move elsewhere.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 AM

679 posts, read 1,717,262 times
Minnesota has an easy population to teach, that really needs to be considered when y'all are spouting off about how wonderful the schools are. Much of it is due to simple demographics, and nothing more.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM

7,711 posts, read 4,415,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Minnesota has an easy population to teach, that really needs to be considered when y'all are spouting off about how wonderful the schools are. Much of it is due to simple demographics, and nothing more.
Why is it "easy" to teach our population? What "demographics" are you referring to?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:58 AM

White and English speaking. Non-transitory populations. A culture of respecting and pursuing education.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 PM

7,711 posts, read 4,415,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
White and English speaking. Non-transitory populations. A culture of respecting and pursuing education.
So by contrast Blacks, Latinos, Asians & E. Africans are "hard" to teach, don't respect or pursue education & Texas is the victim of bad demographics? That may well be true and.....

Brings me full circle to wondering why people criticize us saying we need "more diversity". It sounds like we've got every advantage going for us, why fix what's not broken? I'm not talking about an Aryan Nation or banning foreigners & minorities, but I get sick of hearing people lament our "lack of diversity". It always sounds like a socially acceptable way of saying "I don't like all those white people". For better or worse, we are who we are & as you point out it correlates to good schools & quality education. I hope it never becomes as "diverse" as Texas.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM

The education issue is more about economics, and I hate to say it, "social class". Groups of people with middle class incomes and white collar and medical jobs tend to have kids who tend to perform at the same above average level in schools, regardless of their other background. For a while I grew up in an "underserved area" in northern MN where all the doctors were from nigeria, poland, mexico, ecuador, pakistan, etc. Those diverse professional people's kids were the ones bringing up the school's averages. The white people were actually bringing it down, as all they cared about was hockey - parents, and even teachers, included.

Last edited by rzzz; 05-14-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 01:03 PM

Mason, you missed the point. Diversity may lower test scores, but it doesn't necessarily lower the quality of teaching. Which is why a very non-diverse state like Minnesota looks good compared to states with a high percentage of poor, transitory, and/or non-English speakers. How do we know that the quality of teaching is that much better in MN? Do test scores really tell the whole story? My kids have had some outstanding teachers here in TX and some pretty $hitty ones in one of the top school districts in the state of MN. MN really seems to want to take credit for their top-notch educational system, when in fact its greatness may have more to do with social and cultural demographics than anything else.

Last edited by cinnamon_toast; 05-14-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul